D&D 5E High DPR Paladin-Rogue-Bard Will it work?

This has all been becried many times, but:

1.) Being able to focus your attack bonus is still significant - even with often attacking with advantage and elven accuracy. The advantage is never as guaranteed as we think, and there are high AC foes where that +2 to hit matters. It is especially meaningfukl ona build that is DPR focused and relies upon 1 attack per turn. Bad luck happens.

2.) You get more than just the advantage to hit. Armor of Agathys on a build with some significant spell levels is a significant benefit. Hex can be significant in ways that a lot of players overlook, especially on a stealth build (give the guard a -5 to their passive perception).

3.) If you feel like any one level of a warlock is cookie cutter, then you might want to ask your DMs to do more with the idea of a patron.
1) rogues can take aim for advantage. Only opponents that can guve you disadvantage can make you lose it.

2) Oath of conquest gets armor of agathys too.

3) No problem on our table. If you feel everyone should have a warlock level 1 dip and that is fine, ok.
If you can twist the story to make it fit. Perfect.

Zardnaar

Legend
1) rogues can take aim for advantage. Only opponents that can guve you disadvantage can make you lose it.

2) Oath of conquest gets armor of agathys too.

3) No problem on our table. If you feel everyone should have a warlock level 1 dip and that is fine, ok.
If you can twist the story to make it fit. Perfect.

Aims not as universal as one thinks.

1. It's in tashas. Not everyone uses it.

2. You have to be aware it exists.

3. DM has to opt in.

I allow it but trying to minimize tashas use.

Aims not as universal as one thinks.

1. It's in tashas. Not everyone uses it.

2. You have to be aware it exists.

3. DM has to opt in.

I allow it but trying to minimize tashas use.
1. Elven accuracy is also not in the basic book. So I guess the OP uses optional rules.

2. OP had oath of conquest as their paladin subclass, so I guess they are aware of it.

3. OP seems to bot want warlock in their build, so suggesting it without looking what the idea behind OP build is does not really help.

Zardnaar

Legend
1. Elven accuracy is also not in the basic book. So I guess the OP uses optional rules.

2. OP had oath of conquest as their paladin subclass, so I guess they are aware of it.

3. OP seems to bot want warlock in their build, so suggesting it without looking what the idea behind OP build is does not really help.

Our DM allows it. Think my next PC might be an elven rogue thanks for the reminder.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Second, Divine Smite only works with spell slots. You can use pact slots to cast spells from spell casting classes, but you can't use them for divine smite. I could get Eldritch Smite invocation, but that requires a lot of levels and I still would not have many slots to use.
Are you sure about that?

"The Warlock table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your warlock spells of 1st through 5th level."

sounds like a warlock has spell slots. Just because pact magic doesn't "mesh" with other spellcasting slots for multiclass purposes doesn't mean they aren't spell slots. What's your source for this?

Zardnaar

Legend
Are you sure about that?

"The Warlock table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your warlock spells of 1st through 5th level."

sounds like a warlock has spell slots. Just because pact magic doesn't "mesh" with other spellcasting slots for multiclass purposes doesn't mean they aren't spell slots. What's your source for this?

RAW it works.

Touche. I woukd allow it but haven't yet seen tge gumbo and only requested once (with Uber high rolled scores)
I'd probably allow it too, as long as not everyone tries to do that. My poltics regarding combos is usually let it fly as long as it does not get used all the time no matter if it fits the character or not.

I can see stories with a paladin that forges a bond with a sword...

He-Man would not be too far off that kind of character for example.
Fallen Paladins who started nobke and take the easy route to power are also not unheard of (Athas of Warcraft3).

So yeah. It works. And having one level 1 smite recharge on a short rest is not that terrible. And I have long ago analysed straight paladin vs paladin/warlock 1 or 2 or even 3 and never found it straight better at all levels. Probably slightly ahead 1/3 of the time. Slightly behind 1/3 of the time and even at the other levels. And then it is also depending on the number of short rests and other factors.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Depends on the reading of the multiclass rule.

It is rather TRDSIC* or something in between.

I think the rules are clear if you look at how they are written in more than one case. We have eldritch smite, which specifies

"you can expend a warlock spell slot"

The paladin smite is just "you can expend one spell slot"

So it is preeeety clear that the intent here is that warlock smithing requires warlock slots, while paladin can use any slot. The game also clearly notes that the warlock has "spell slots" (not pack slots). Thus, paladin can smite with spell slots from the warlock class. .

Remove ads