D&D (2024) Do you think the Ranger will be put in line with the new Smite formula?

Voi_D_ragon

Explorer
We've all seen the treatment the Paladin's Smite spells got (and you can give your opinions on that if you wish), so I started wondering if the Ranger was going to receive similar treatment, particularly in 2 areas: Ensnaring Strike and the Horizon Walker's Planar Warrior feature.

I think the similarities are there to make the argument both of these will become a Bonus Action to use only when the attack hits:
-Ensnaring Strike is basically a Ranger flavored smite spell already (and I would keep concentration on it seeing as it has a double effect - but could argue against it on the basis of allowing other creatures to free the target).
-Planar warrior is a mini-smite, and it would severely limit the class to spend your bonus action for nothing when every other effect that was "Bonus Action to get an effect IF you hit" has become "Bonus action to get an effect WHEN you hit".
-Rangers get Searing Smite, and it would be confusing to give them inconsistent mechanics in this manner.

Thoughts?

mellored

Legend
Yes. I very much expect all smite-like effects to get similar mechanics.

I also mostly expect polymorph to get similar mechanics to wild shape. They just need to figure out what that is first.

Yes. I very much expect all smite-like effects to get similar mechanics.

I also mostly expect polymorph to get similar mechanics to wild shape. They just need to figure out what that is first.
I'll be mad if true polymorph becomes just a template. Removes the fun part of the spell.

Ascending to being a true dragon for a dragonborn is such a classic trope for them, and that's the only possible method.

ECMO3

Hero
I am really pissed off about the ONE treatment of Wrathful Smite. They nerfed it so it went from being one of the best 1st level spells, up there with Shield to being mediocre.

Remove ads