Oriental Adventures Update - Feedback/Playtesting requested.

ChameleonX

Explorer
In physical terms the katana is either a really short two-handed sword, or a sabre with a two-handed grip. If you wanted to stick within the rules, you could just stick with scimitar stats, and call it two-handed for flavour.

Generally I don't change the rules for the longsword to allow finesse (apart from removing finesse requirement to sneak attack) If you wanted to make longsword attacks based on reflexes and balance rather than athleticism and force, the justification is trickier than rapier (even moreso as a two-handed weapon), but would fit a lot of cartoon/manga media tropes.

In terms of effect on your game, the worst issue will be the ability balance issue. Dex covers a lot of important combat stats, but currently Strength offers somewhat better damage using two-handed weapons. However a finesse longsword won't hit too many problems here because it doesn't use multiple dice and is not heavy, so the style and feat won't synergise as well.

Overall, houseruling this way probably will not cause any big problems with your game, and it will allow players to play media concepts involving weak and unathletic warriors like the standard infirm old swordmaster or little girl as effective two-handed fighters.

That's the main reason I made it a Fighting Style instead of actually altering the Longsword itself, or making a new weapon. It seems like a good idea to restrict access to a 1d10 slashing Finesse weapon to classes that already have better options using Strength.

That said, if I did feel like making a "Katana," as a standalone weapon, I'd probably just make it 1d6, Finesse, Versatile (1d8). That way it doesn't overshadow the Scimitar or Rapier as the default option for melee Rogues.

hejtmane

Explorer
Hey, I'm currently working on a project to update the original AD&D Oriental Adventures setting to 5e via the DM's Guild. I figured I'd post some of the material here to see if I'm on the right track, balance-wise.

If you guys care to give me feedback and/or playtest some of this stuff for balance, that would be awesome.

[sblock="Oriental Barbarian - Witch Hunter"]
Sense Enchantment

Starting when you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain the ability to sense the presence of magic and magical creatures in your vicinity.
You may use this feature to duplicate the effects of the Detect Evil and Good or Detect Magic spell as an action. Though these abilities function like spells, they are not magical, and can be used while you are raging. In addition, you do not need to provide any components or spend spell slots.
You may use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). You regain any expended uses after a long rest.

Arcane Anathema
Also at 3rd level, you have been raised practically from birth to resist attempts by magic-users to influence your body, mind, or spirit. This grants you incredible resilience against enchantment, but also makes all magic alien to you.
You have advantage on saving throws against magic. However, you are also unable to attune to any magic item, and you cannot use a magic item that does not require attunement, except magic potions and Scrolls of Protection.
Starting at 7th level, you are able to attune to a single magic item, which must be either a weapon, piece of armor, or a shield. You are also able to fire magical ammunition from a weapon.
At 14th level you may attune to a second magic item of your choice and you may use magic items that do not require attunement.

Remarkable Athlete
Starting at 6th level, you may add one half your proficiency bonus (rounded up) to any Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution check you make that doesn’t already include your proficiency bonus.
In addition, when you make a running long jump, the distance you cover increases by a number of feet equal to your Strength modifier.

Spell Absorption
By 10th level, your resistance to magic has grown so great that, instead of harming you, attempts to enchant you actually make you stronger!
Once per round, when a spell attack misses you or you succeed on a saving throw against a spell, you gain a +1 bonus to weapon attack rolls until the end of your next turn and the first such attack that hits deals extra damage equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum 1).

Curtain of Steel
By 14th level, you are always vigilant against the depredations of conjurers, and ferociously strike back at any magic-user that assails you.
When you take damage from a spell, you may use your reaction to make one weapon attack against the creature that cast that spell, provided it is within your weapon’s range.[/sblock]
[sblock="Paladin - Oath of Honor"]
Prerequisites
To select this Oath, you must meet a number of prerequisites by the time you reach 3rd level. First and foremost, your Honor Score must be 13 or higher, and you must formally pledge yourself to the service of a particular feudal lord (or lady).
Secondly, you must have proficiency with Calligraphy Supplies, and at least two of the following skills:
Animal Handling, History, Insight, Medicine, Performance, Persuasion, Religion, and Survival.

Channel Divinity
When you select this Oath at 3rd level, you gain the following two Channel Divinity options.
Ardent Vow. As a bonus action, you release a fearsome shout (or Kiai) that focuses your ki and enhances your strength and vigor to superhuman levels in a moment of dire need.
Until the end of your next turn, you have advantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws using Strength, you double your Strength score when determining your weight capacity, and you add your Proficiency bonus to weapon damage rolls using Strength.
Turn the Craven. You present your holy symbol and announce your given name and your clan, as well as the most impressive deeds you have done in the past. Each creature of your choice within 30ft of you, and that can see and hear you, must make an Honor saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is turned for 1 minute, or until it takes any damage. Any creature with an Honor score of 8 or lower has disadvantage on this saving throw. This feature has no effect on creatures with an Honor score of 16 or higher.
A turned creature must spend its turns trying to move as far away from you as it can, and it can’t willingly move to a space within 30ft. of you. It also can’t take reactions. For its action, it can use only the Dash action or try to escape from an effect that prevents it from moving. If there’s nowhere to move, the creature can Dodge.

Oath Spells
You gain Oath spells at the Paladin levels listed.

Oath of Honor Spells
Paladin Level Spell
3rd Compelled Duel, Virtue*
5th Calm Emotions, Warding Bond
9th Beacon of Hope, Keen Edge*
13th Freedom of Movement, Shout*
17th Ironguard*, Mark of Justice*
* New Spells

Vigilance
At 7th level, you may add your proficiency bonus to initiative rolls as long as you are conscious and can take actions at the beginning of a combat.

Royal Stewardship
At 15th level, word of your skill and honor has spread far and wide, and your noble patron has chosen to reward you for bringing such glory to his (or her) house.
You are offered a parcel of land in an area under the control of your patron, over which you are invited to administrate. If you accept this offer, you gain a noble title, and 5 points of Renown in any faction affiliated with your patron (if any).
As a feudal vassal, you gain the authority to collect taxes in the name of your patron, and to build or renovate a stronghold on the land that you administrate. The revenue generated by your fief is sufficient to cover up to 50% of the living expenses of maintaining a Wealthy lifestyle, and also covers half the cost of maintaining your stronghold once it has been finished. As your fief becomes larger and more prosperous, you may be able to generate even greater profits.
In addition, you are able to attract the service of 1d4 +1 NPC warriors. These are mercenaries or admirers who have heard of you, and seek to gain glory and/or honor for themselves by fighting and adventuring alongside you. These followers serve you free of charge, so long as they are treated with respect and compassion, and occasionally given some form of compensation for their loyal service. At the DM’s discretion, you may have these followers accompany you on your quests, or provide support or protection for your fief.

Paralyzing Shout
By 20th level, you are such a formidable warrior that the mere sight of you unleashing your full power is enough to cause paralyzing fear in those who are beneath your station.
When you use your Ardent Vow, you may choose to release a thunderous Kiai that strikes fear in the hearts of all who hear it, and boosts your Strength to almost god-like levels. Each creature you choose within 30ft of you must make an Honor saving throw. On a failed saving throw, the creature is stunned until the end of your next turn. Creatures that are immune to being frightened are not affected.
In addition, instead of the normal effect of your Ardent Vow, your Strength score magically increases by 10 (to a maximum of 30) until the end of your next turn.
Once you use this feature, you cannot do so again until you have completed a long rest. [/sblock]

[sblock="Druid - Spirit Companion"]

Spirit Companion
This feature replaces the Wild Shape feature on pg. 66 and 67 of the Player’s Handbook.

Starting at 2nd level, you can use a bonus action to conjure your spirit companion in one unoccupied space that you can see within 60ft. You choose your spirit companion’s type the first time you conjure it; Celestial, Elemental, Fey, Fiend, or Undead. This decision can’t be changed later, unless the DM says it can. Regardless of its creature type, it always uses the same game statistics (see stat block).

Your Spirit companion has two modes; Active and Passive. You can cause your spirit companion to switch between modes as a bonus action. While it is in Active Mode, the spirit manifests as a visible entity on the Material Plane, which takes the form of any medium creature of your choice. You can have it assume the same form or a different one each time you conjure it.

In Active Mode, the spirit is tangible and able to interact with physical beings in a limited way. It passes through normal matter, so it is usually unable to attack or affect physical objects, and it is not affected by natural forces such as heat or gravity. The spirit acts on your initiative. On your turn, you can command the spirit where to move (no action required by you). In order for it to take an action, you must use your bonus action to invest it with enough magical energy to do so. In the same fashion, you must use your reaction to allow the spirit to make an opportunity attack. The spirit is able to use bonus actions (no action required by you). The spirit is considered friendly to you and your allies, and remains Active until it drops to 0 hit points, or until you use a bonus action to switch it to Passive Mode.

While it is Passive, the spirit is ethereal and undetectable to all creatures other than you. It can move and act independently, but is unable to affect the physical world in any way, though it is still capable of perceiving the Material plane as a vague, dreamy haze. While it is in Passive mode, it recovers hit points at a rate of 1 per minute. If it was forced into Passive mode by being dropped to 0 hit points, it cannot become Active again until it has recovered all its hit points.

Spirit Companion
Medium ___, Unaligned

AC. 10 + your Wisdom modifier
Hit Points. 1d8 (or 5) x your Druid level.
Speed. 30 ft., Fly 30ft.

STR
1 DEX 10 CON 10 INT 10 WIS 10 CHA 10

Skills. See Soul Link.
Damage Resistances. Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning, and Thunder, and nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage.
Damage Immunities. Necrotic, Poison
Condition Immunities. All
Senses. Darkvision 60 ft., passive perception 10
Languages. Understands Common and Druidic, as well as any language you know, but cannot speak. However, it can communicate with you telepathically, regardless of distance.
CR = Variable

Incorporeal Movement. The spirit can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain. It takes 5 (1d10) force damage if it ends its turn inside an object.

Soul Link. A spirit companion uses your ability scores and proficiency bonus for all its attack rolls, saving throws, and ability checks, and it is proficient with the same skills that you are. It also uses your Spell Attack bonus and Save DC.

Actions

Spirit’s Fangs. Melee Weapon Attack; + spell attack bonus to hit, reach 5ft., one target.
Hit: 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier force damage.[/sblock]

I would agree with the suggestion by Mike on the magical item at 3rd level for the Barbarian in 1e it was 4th level. ChamelonX but overall I think you really did a sweet job of catching the essence of the Oriental Barbarian and like the overall layout and powers.

I am torn on the Paladin for the Samurai I think more fighter but I do like the layout of the skills though with the shout etc; I see the Sohei as the Holy Warrior but that is just my personnel preference or could be my bias either way it is well done.

That's the main reason I made it a Fighting Style instead of actually altering the Longsword itself, or making a new weapon. It seems like a good idea to restrict access to a 1d10 slashing Finesse weapon to classes that already have better options using Strength.
Your "Use Str or Dex as a Monk" rule rather than Finesse is a good precaution, but apart from Sneak Attack (oh, and Defensive Duellist feat), are there any other mechanics where Finesse matters? (I'd suggest a houserule that GWF style not interact with Sneak attack if that starts looking excessive though.)
I would probably just change the Longsword as a weapon rather than have a fighting style that changes its properties. To me, its just a bit too fundamental in terms of how the weapon is used at all rather than the ability of special training to get a bit extra out of it. As a balanced rule mechanic however, your idea works very well.

That said, if I did feel like making a "Katana," as a standalone weapon, I'd probably just make it 1d6, Finesse, Versatile (1d8). That way it doesn't overshadow the Scimitar or Rapier as the default option for melee Rogues.
Eh. As mentioned, I'd probably just change all longswords. An average 1 damage difference won't really be an issue. It also makes a little more sense to me realistically. The idea that of all the longsword designs, it is the short, blade-heavy one that is used in forceful, sweeping slashes with minimal parrying is the one type that is considered "Finesse" doesn't sit well.

If you did make it a new, standalone weapon, would you even give Rogues proficiency in it? If Rogues had to pick it up through special training or multiclassing into a more military class, that might balance some aspects if you thought they were otherwise an issue.

If you're going for an earlier-period, more "military" rather than "courtier" Samurai concept, you could probably stick with scimitar/sabre stats: its a tertiary weapon for slashing up unarmoured infantry from your horse after you've finished with your bow and spear. Once you get to the point that it became a duelling weapon though, the longer handle and two-handed grip push it more into longsword territory.

ChameleonX

Explorer
I would agree with the suggestion by Mike on the magical item at 3rd level for the Barbarian in 1e it was 4th level. ChamelonX but overall I think you really did a sweet job of catching the essence of the Oriental Barbarian and like the overall layout and powers.

I am torn on the Paladin for the Samurai I think more fighter but I do like the layout of the skills though with the shout etc; I see the Sohei as the Holy Warrior but that is just my personnel preference or could be my bias either way it is well done.

That's exactly why I'm explicitly avoiding the use of the original class names, especially "Samurai." In the document, I'm pointing out directly that these are just one vision of how the class could be imagined in 5e. The "Elementalist" Wizard is a Wu Jen, but not THE Wu Jen. The "Way of the Holy Warrior," Monk is a Sohei, but not THE Sohei, etc.

Remove ads