D&D 5E WOTC Production Schedule

I would not be surprised if this ended up being how it shook out. With the "other" years seeing a Spring release like Curse of Strahd - an older adventure expanded out into a full Adventure Path with supplemental material.
Yeah, I could see that happening with Slavers, for example.

Mercurius

Legend
[MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] has stated that they have a ten-year plan, but with some flexibility.

He also stated on that one recent interview the three products a year is a solid number based on market research: doubt that will change anytime soon (i.e., this edition/decade).

I'm guessing that ten-year plan is only roughly sketched out in the second half.

And yeah, I know they plan on sticking to three products and I'm sure they have sound reason to believe it is the financial sweet-spot in terms of maximizing profit while minimizing overhead. My preference for five products is not based on economics but what I'd like to see as a consumer and fan of D&D, and what I think would best strengthen and diversify the line. While I disagree with those who yearn for the output of 3E/4E days, clearly WotC has taken a reactive approach based on the glut-fallout of those prior editions. They went from excess to minimalism; my preference and recommendation is still minimalist (five products a year isn't that much, relatively speaking), but more "minimalist plus."

But again, I'm not questioning the soundness of their plan in terms of economics and the health of the brand. I'm speaking as a fan and consumer, and what I think would be ideal in terms of fleshing out the creative and entertainment possibilities of 5th edition.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm guessing that ten-year plan is only roughly sketched out in the second half.

And yeah, I know they plan on sticking to three products and I'm sure they have sound reason to believe it is the financial sweet-spot in terms of maximizing profit while minimizing overhead. My preference for five products is not based on economics but what I'd like to see as a consumer and fan of D&D, and what I think would best strengthen and diversify the line. While I disagree with those who yearn for the output of 3E/4E days, clearly WotC has taken a reactive approach based on the glut-fallout of those prior editions. They went from excess to minimalism; my preference and recommendation is still minimalist (five products a year isn't that much, relatively speaking), but more "minimalist plus."

But again, I'm not questioning the soundness of their plan in terms of economics and the health of the brand. I'm speaking as a fan and consumer, and what I think would be ideal in terms of fleshing out the creative and entertainment possibilities of 5th edition.

What was interesting about his statement in that recent interview: the decision was not about brand management or costs: it was based purely on what consumers wanted, as a group. The other benefits apparently were surprising as a bonus to consu.er demand.

Mercurius

Legend
What was interesting about his statement in that recent interview: the decision was not about brand management or costs: it was based purely on what consumers wanted, as a group. The other benefits apparently were surprising as a bonus to consu.er demand.

Well, I would argue that "what consumers want" and economics are strongly connected. But yeah, that is interesting. I'm surprised that 3 products a year is the "final answer" for what consumers want as I would have thought the average would be higher. To be honest, I kind of question whether that is really true or not. At the least, there seem to be enough folks wanting a LOT more and probably not as many wanting fewer so that the average would be higher than 3/year. My guess is the 3/year was the most popular of several choices, but probably not the average.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Give me psionics and I have no strong feelings about the pace of anything else.

I might be skewing the average low, my bad.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
Well, I would argue that "what consumers want" and economics are strongly connected. But yeah, that is interesting. I'm surprised that 3 products a year is the "final answer" for what consumers want as I would have thought the average would be higher. To be honest, I kind of question whether that is really true or not. At the least, there seem to be enough folks wanting a LOT more and probably not as many wanting fewer so that the average would be higher than 3/year. My guess is the 3/year was the most popular of several choices, but probably not the average.

I'd agree, I think the sweet spot is where economics and "what consumers want" intersect. What seems to continually be forgotten is that for each AP they release, they release about a dozen short adventures as well, for AL. Those are now released through DMsGuild, for very reasonable prices.

I wouldn't be surprised if they work their way up to 4 books, then maybe more, but right now from everything I've heard they're very happy with how things have played out so I think we're more likely to see tweaks to the plan they've laid out than a new plan.

Also, based on earlier interviews, etc., combined with being in a similar industry, I think the main thing they are considering in terms of how frequently to release products is the product cycle itself. That is, in most industries 80% of your sales of a given product are within a certain time frame, and then drop off considerably. Release the next one too early and you cannibalize sales. So I think that's the real driving force in the schedule itself, and something they learned from earlier editions - maximizing the profits out of each product.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

I haven't been able to keep up at three a year, still trying to backfill at the pace they are going. Forumites and convention goers wouldn't be typical, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if three a year is the max most folks can do. Doing so many products was probably limiting the potential market of buyers.

gweinel

Explorer
I would love a four book/year schedule. The 3 would be like it is now and the fourth would be released at end of spring and would be setting related (damn...how i miss a non fr setting product). It would be great summer reading too

I kinda want four to five books.
Not per year... in total.

(Not counting adventures of course.)

I need about a few books with new class options. But between those I need one with new monsters, one with new races, one with alternate rules, and one with spells & items. Or a bit of both spread out over 3-5 books.
After that I'm good. Three or four new options per class gives a good number of choices. Five to seven is more than will see use. Any more and we hit option paralysis numbers.

WotC can do that in two years, like in 3e or 4e, or space those books out over a few years.

After five books, I'm just buying books to collect. Or read. But if I'm doing that, and they're not being used, they don't need to be D&D books. Right now, rather than spending Christmas money on D&D/Pathfinder book like I was a few years ago, I'm buying some FFG Star Wars. Next year will likely be Star Trek. I get different games and different ideas.

Of course, the longer the books take to come out, the more likely I'll use a chunk of the content and more willing I'll be to get a sixth or even seventh book...

Remove ads