Dwarven Forge Now Wants To Build Cities!

Dwarven Forge is no stranger to enormously successful Kickstarters. Previous projects have raised in the region of $2,000,000, and the latest looks like it's on track to do much the same. This time, it's a beautiful city builder system - and in my opinion, it's the prettiest yet. Dwarven Forge is, admittedly, not for those on a limited budget - I've never owned any myself, sadly. In case you're not familair, Dwarven Forge produces 3D modular terrain for use with miniatures. They've been around for nearly 20 years, and have consistently produced some of the bst -looking - and best-known - 3D terrain around.

This Kickstarter camapign just launched a couple of days ago, and has hit $300,000 already. At lower pledge levels of $35 or so, you get a handfull of tiles - enough to make one building. For $165, you'll get enough to buid a hamlet, for $230 you can build a village, and at the rarified heights of $360 you're looking at enough stuff to construct towns and cities.

There are even pledge levels of $920, and over 150 people have pledged that amount!

Click on the images below and check out the Kickstarter. Hold on to your wallet first, though!

829d8f45f8ab5ec28d9218368f59269c_large.jpeg

bba70493eb8a8a47155cf317bab531d5_large.jpeg

moldyderp

Explorer
It's a 'good' price by definition because there isn't any price you could compare it with.

LOL I can't believe we're discussing this.

If there isn't another price you can compare it with, why would that by default make it a "good" price? That doesn't make any sense. It could just as well be a "bad" price. It's not defined as "good" because there is no alternative. Nor is "best price available" the same thing as "good" price. The first guy to sell a bag of air from a Kanye concert wanted $5,000. Just because no one else had bags of air (at the time) from a Kanye concert didn't make that a "good" price, nor a bad price. It's just a price. Similarly, if a single piece of the sewers cost $165, that wouldn't be a "good" price just because there is no price to compare it to.

Besides. I didn't say anything about a "good price", since price as a lone indicator is worthless. In fact I have no problem with the $165 price at all - having spent substantially more than that on each of the last two Kickstarters. I said a good buy, which implies value, which is a look at goods/services received in exchange for payment given, which we have already agreed is subjective.

In this scenario, that means for roughly $250 I can get 2 monster sewer sets (unpainted and without stretch goals). But that same $250 in Kickstarter 1 bought me 5 sets of dungeon tiles, and 3.5 sets of cavern tiles, both WITH stretch goals. I spent $3,300 between the two and basically built myself a house made of dwarvenite. It was fantastic, and for me, a good buy. For others, not so much. Most of the difference is likely coming from cost of molds to produce the number of sculpts. That's fine. That's what makes it subjective. For some, it will be a good buy, for others it won't be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Except there are other ways to do a similar thing. It isn't the same, but card stock exists. That is a competitor, so a price comparison makes sense. The functionality is not identical, clearly, but it doesn't need to be, from an economic sense.

pogre

Legend
So this thing has kicked me in the junk for a couple of Gs and I just learned that next year they are planning on doing castles...

My kids don't need to go to college right? ;)

pogre

Legend
This will be the most successful Kickstarter of the three Dwarven Forge Kickstarters. This is also the fewest backers of the three. So, apparently, there are fewer folks interested in this, but the ones who are - are like me - complete idiots. ;)

SigmaOne

First Post
I'm right there with you... well not exactly right there in the "few Gs" sense.. but I'm getting what I can. Nate's videos are just mind-blowing.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases