Dwarven Forge Now Wants To Build Cities!

Dwarven Forge is no stranger to enormously successful Kickstarters. Previous projects have raised in the region of $2,000,000, and the latest looks like it's on track to do much the same. This time, it's a beautiful city builder system - and in my opinion, it's the prettiest yet. Dwarven Forge is, admittedly, not for those on a limited budget - I've never owned any myself, sadly. In case you're not familair, Dwarven Forge produces 3D modular terrain for use with miniatures. They've been around for nearly 20 years, and have consistently produced some of the bst -looking - and best-known - 3D terrain around.

Dwarven Forge is no stranger to enormously successful Kickstarters. Previous projects have raised in the region of $2,000,000, and the latest looks like it's on track to do much the same. This time, it's a beautiful city builder system - and in my opinion, it's the prettiest yet. Dwarven Forge is, admittedly, not for those on a limited budget - I've never owned any myself, sadly. In case you're not familair, Dwarven Forge produces 3D modular terrain for use with miniatures. They've been around for nearly 20 years, and have consistently produced some of the bst -looking - and best-known - 3D terrain around.

This Kickstarter camapign just launched a couple of days ago, and has hit $300,000 already. At lower pledge levels of $35 or so, you get a handfull of tiles - enough to make one building. For $165, you'll get enough to buid a hamlet, for $230 you can build a village, and at the rarified heights of $360 you're looking at enough stuff to construct towns and cities.

There are even pledge levels of $920, and over 150 people have pledged that amount!

Click on the images below and check out the Kickstarter. Hold on to your wallet first, though!

829d8f45f8ab5ec28d9218368f59269c_large.jpeg

bba70493eb8a8a47155cf317bab531d5_large.jpeg

Zaukrie

New Publisher
While they are not as cool, I find the cardboard system from worldworksgames work well. They are lighter and can be stored easier. That said, I would love this if I was not downsizing and selling much of my collection. I do love the previous set.

It really looks like you'd almost be better off just getting multiple cottages. That actually gives you roofs and doors you'd need to make buildings proper (seriously... 2 doors in the 160 pledge?!). The price on this seems much higher compared to their other kickstarters, likely because they fiddled with the formula and went with the weird posts. Had they just converted their standard medieval sets we'd all be getting more for less.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
For $230 you get to build 6 20' by 20' hovels right now... That is quite a bit shy of a hamlet. I've put down that level, but I am going to need to see some pretty awesome extras to stay in....

I'm in the same boat, and just realized that only 2 of those hovels will have roofs, unless we pony up for the roofs add-on pack.

arbados

Explorer
Was in on the first two, but this one is a bit much. You would have to spend thousands to make anything similar to the pictures posted.

Banesfinger

Explorer
Yup, I noticed under this Kickstarter's photos (from update #2) they say the "modest tavern" interior builds can be made with 8 buildings (slightly less product than the 'village' support level).
This is not correct: as pictured, it would take:
- 8 wall sections
- 3 door sections (one is an interior door)
- 4 window sections
- 8 floor sections (4x4 each)
At the village level of support ($315 hand painted, as shown in the picture), you would still be short 1 door and 3 floor sections. You could use the 'Stone' counterparts (from this level of support) instead of the 'Tudor' sections, but it wouldn't look like the pictures.

SigmaOne

First Post
They've added door walls to the Roof add-on, so you get get quite a bit more mileage out of it now. For example, with a hamlet and a roof add-on, you can get four complete roofed buildings, half of which can be two-story. For people who are interested in seeing what they can build with different pledge & add-on breakdowns, someone (Tyler Ellingson) has created a nice Google Spreadsheet to play with. It's up-to-date with stretch goals. To use it, you'll have to go to the file menu and select "make a copy" to get a writable version.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cMc6ihIlmhkSt04Eejt2xdMvAmnWwfLT486MwV42kq8/edit?pli=1#gid=0

SigmaOne

First Post
For those interested in Sewers, they just released some great pictures of what you can get with a Monster Sewer set, at $125 unpainted / $165 painted:

IMG_9867-NT.jpg

IMG_9851-NT.jpg

IMG_0132-NT.jpg

Remove ads

Remove ads