D&D 5E Why does WotC put obviously bad or illogical elements in their adventures?

So I suggest you (@ovinomancer) start by re-reading post #10. Here [MENTION=6801558]robus[/MENTION] disagrees with my statements made earlier by stating to the effect;

'Moronic hill giants are an illogical decision for the author(s) to have put in the adventure.'
Yet myself and many others gave numerous examples of why such a design decision is logical (see post #68 as another example). I never said such was a good decision, and it is certainly a debatable decision. But that does not make it illogical.

Yet Robus & Ovinomancer continue to insist in future posts that such a decision is illogical (example posts #69 & 71).

Continuing to state that such design decisions are illogical belittles those that have shown logical reasons for said decisions. One can continue to believe such decisions are bad, but that is not the same as illogical. These "logical" assessments (which are never actually supported with a deduction of the logic used) appear to be based on personal preference for gaming styles, interpretation of how a fantasy world works, and the motivations for those characters (NPCs) that would have made such decisions in the fantasy world.

For example (as was pointed out by a poster), perhaps the bumbling guards were a conscious decision of the guard captain because he wanted the nobles executed. Maybe it was a political appeasement to honor the hill giants because of some diplomatic gesture. Who knows? Why such decisions may or may not have been made behind the scenes in the fantasy are impossible to tell. To ignore logical possibilities and continue to claim such a decision is illogical is dismissive of those that have offered reasonable explanations.

This, differing views of the fantasy, is what I was trying to point out in post #82.

Also of note, several times Robus (and maybe others) bring up other missing information in the adventure only to be quoted by others as to where to find the "missing information" (see post #41 & 77 as examples).

Then as a perfect example of what I've been trying to get across in that several people are too interested in proving their points or in arguing, that they don't actually read the module (and therefore probably the posts too.) See post #42 for Robus admitting as much (kudos to him).

And then when I point out that we should take some responsibility for our own purchase decisions, Robus' response is to say that I'm claiming people shouldn't question the value/quality of a product (post #89). When I read that I went "Huh? What is he talking about?" Because quite simple, the response seemed completely unrelated to what I said. It seemed to be a response simple for the sake of arguing, not for understanding or questioning. Again, another post that tried to belittle any opinion that did not support the original premise (that WotC adventures have numerous illogical or bad elements).

This behavior becomes even more apparent in post #92, where the response to me stating that "Questioning the quality of a product is an acceptable position" is belittled by saying that criticism is healthy and that I think the adventures are perfectly fine.

Which is simply refusing to acknowledge that I said questioning/criticizing is a good thing (acceptable), then claiming the idea as his own, and making a statement claiming I said something that I never said. This is why in post #108 I stated that I was convinced that several people, specifically Robus, was simple blind to what I was saying and was refusing to read, consider, or think about what I have said.

Then, Robus, and eventually Ovinomancer continue to post their summaries of my views that are in direct contradiction to what I said a few posts before (and often in the posts they quote).

And you wonder why I thought I should stop trying to bother explaining?

Now, answer this question honestly, when did you start composing (in your mind or otherwise) your response to this post? Did you start before you read this sentence? If so, I just made my point, that several people are more interested in arguing or proving their view is correct, then actually reading what I write, considering it, and then thinking about responding to it.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
[MENTION=6804070]LordEntrails[/MENTION] - of course it's possible to come up with a convoluted set of circumstances to "explain" the presence of the Hill Giants, but that doesn't make it logical. It just makes it possible.

[MENTION=6804070]LordEntrails[/MENTION] - of course it's possible to come up with a convoluted set of circumstances to "explain" the presence of the Hill Giants, but that doesn't make it logical. It just makes it possible.
Thanks for your detailed and insightful response. Does that mean that your answer to the question I asked at the end was... You wrote your response before reading the question?

"convoluted"? Is this another word you don't know the definition of? Convoluted; extremely complex and difficult to follow.

Though you don't have to like the explanations given by others, none of them were complex or difficult to follow.

All of these statements of yours continue to strengthen my statement that you refuse to consider any view that does not support your assumptions.

Satyrn

First Post
@LordEntrails - of course it's possible to come up with a convoluted set of circumstances to "explain" the presence of the Hill Giants, but that doesn't make it logical. It just makes it possible.

I must admit that I haven't read up on how 5e describes Giants. Have they been turned into D&D's version of Vulcans?

None of the explanations given were convoluted though. Saying that the hill giant honor guard was there as a political deal or due to the honor rotating among giant types are explanations that mirror simple everyday occurrences in the real world.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
None of the explanations given were convoluted though. Saying that the hill giant honor guard was there as a political deal or due to the honor rotating among giant types are explanations that mirror simple everyday occurrences in the real world.

And that continued after the ordning was broken?

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
All of these statements of yours continue to strengthen my statement that you refuse to consider any view that does not support your assumptions.

That's exactly what you're doing, and you're being incredibly condescending and arrogant while doing it. What's more, is that your explanations aren't explanations, they're excuses and show a flawed reasoning structure because you're using them to promote the idea that logic is present in the module while inserting your own logic into it which in turn indicates the need to insert it in order to make it logical, thus proving the assertion that it is not, inherently, within the text, logical.

What's more is that most of your criticisms of others is what you're showing yourself to be. You claim others disagreeing with you is belittling and yet belittle people while disagreeing with them. You claim no-one is listening to you and yet you listen to no-one. You claim that everyone is entitled to their opinion and yet dismiss other people's opinions as irrelevant.

There is a mirror somewhere around you I'm sure. You should try looking into it sometime.

That's exactly what you're doing, ...
There is a mirror somewhere around you I'm sure. You should try looking into it sometime.
And yet when I tried to withdraw from the discussion two things happened;
1) You made an insulting wise-ass comment that attempted to goad me into continuing the discussion. So yes, to you and [MENTION=6801558]robus[/MENTION] I have been condescending. You have earned such an attitude because of your comments. Ones that you have clearly stated and can not be misinterpreted.
2) [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] made a nice and polite request for me to continue to try and explain my position.

So, because of Ovinomancer, I have attempted to continue to try and explain myself. At this point I would politely ask you [MENTION=6863518]dropbear8mybaby[/MENTION] to no longer respond to my posts in this thread. They are not directed at you and are not for your benefit.

And that continued after the ordning was broken?

Sure. The storm giant court is obviously still held in high regard by the other giants; hence the giant nobles visiting when the characters arrive. The storm giants are presumably still at the head of giant society until another subrace actually manages to supplant them (just like a prime minister who has lost a vote of no confidence still heads the caretaker government until the next election).

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Sure. The storm giant court is obviously still held in high regard by the other giants; hence the giant nobles visiting when the characters arrive. The storm giants are presumably still at the head of giant society until another subrace actually manages to supplant them (just like a prime minister who has lost a vote of no confidence still heads the caretaker government until the next election).

Yeah, I'm glad that works for you but it's too much of a reach for me to convincingly sell my players. And that's the bit that bugs me. I've got to roleplay these damned NPCs and if I don't buy their motivations (or I'm not given them) then how can I possibly do a decent job at the table - without doing even more prep than I already have to!. And that's where weird encounter setups start being annoying. :)

Remove ads