D&D 5E Why does WotC put obviously bad or illogical elements in their adventures?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Hee hee. I totally get the frustration. I remember running Scarred Lands and realizing that the "Hub of Commerce" for the continent was actually in the worst geographic location and was virtually inaccessible. I had to rewrite large chunks of the setting just to come close to making it actually approximate being functional. So, yeah, I hear ya. It's a huge PITA when the writers of supplements and modules don't even bother asking what seem to be at least to ourselves, perfectly reasonable questions.

That's really the heart of my question. I imagine for you grognards things have gotten tons better over the years so the little things I'm finding seem laughable :) probably my lack of historical perspective is hindering my ability to shrug off the perceived sloppiness.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I've been doing it since 1978 taking a few years off here and there for raging hormones, fwmily, and work. I still am "meh". But people here are giving you sound advice. Some of the first things I learned, and still need reminding of from time to time

"you have to roll with things, make changes as needed,and improvise"
"You are not beholden to anything in any book"
"Only your table matters"

Don't get so hung up on what Perkins, or Moldvay, or Jacquays, or Gygax writes. Make adjustments.

And for experienced DMs that's great (and easy) for new DMs learning the ropes they have not only to master the rules but also fix the published adventures when the writers take them down a random path. I just think it puts unneeded burden on their customers and that's not OK. There's still room for improvement. D&D is exploding in popularity so new DMs are being created every day. WotC should be making it as easy as possible for them to run their adventures.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
That's really the heart of my question. I imagine for you grognards things have gotten tons better over the years so the little things I'm finding seem laughable :) probably my lack of historical perspective is hindering my ability to shrug off the perceived sloppiness.

Err, no.

This has been happening since the beginning and will continue to happen until artificially intelligent computers double check the work (kind of like grammar and spell checkers do for text today).

People are people. A fair number of people are not very due diligent in their job. This goes for adventure designers just as much as it does for everyone else.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Err, no.

This has been happening since the beginning and will continue to happen until artificially intelligent computers double check the work (kind of like grammar and spell checkers do for text today).

People are people. A fair number of people are not very due diligent in their job. This goes for adventure designers just as much as it does for everyone else.

Sad :D

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
So I suggest you (@ovinomancer) start by re-reading post #10. Here [MENTION=6801558]robus[/MENTION] disagrees with my statements made earlier by stating to the effect;

'Moronic hill giants are an illogical decision for the author(s) to have put in the adventure.'
Yet myself and many others gave numerous examples of why such a design decision is logical (see post #68 as another example). I never said such was a good decision, and it is certainly a debatable decision. But that does not make it illogical.

Yet Robus & Ovinomancer continue to insist in future posts that such a decision is illogical (example posts #69 & 71).

Continuing to state that such design decisions are illogical belittles those that have shown logical reasons for said decisions. One can continue to believe such decisions are bad, but that is not the same as illogical. These "logical" assessments (which are never actually supported with a deduction of the logic used) appear to be based on personal preference for gaming styles, interpretation of how a fantasy world works, and the motivations for those characters (NPCs) that would have made such decisions in the fantasy world.

For example (as was pointed out by a poster), perhaps the bumbling guards were a conscious decision of the guard captain because he wanted the nobles executed. Maybe it was a political appeasement to honor the hill giants because of some diplomatic gesture. Who knows? Why such decisions may or may not have been made behind the scenes in the fantasy are impossible to tell. To ignore logical possibilities and continue to claim such a decision is illogical is dismissive of those that have offered reasonable explanations.

This, differing views of the fantasy, is what I was trying to point out in post #82.

Also of note, several times Robus (and maybe others) bring up other missing information in the adventure only to be quoted by others as to where to find the "missing information" (see post #41 & 77 as examples).

Then as a perfect example of what I've been trying to get across in that several people are too interested in proving their points or in arguing, that they don't actually read the module (and therefore probably the posts too.) See post #42 for Robus admitting as much (kudos to him).

And then when I point out that we should take some responsibility for our own purchase decisions, Robus' response is to say that I'm claiming people shouldn't question the value/quality of a product (post #89). When I read that I went "Huh? What is he talking about?" Because quite simple, the response seemed completely unrelated to what I said. It seemed to be a response simple for the sake of arguing, not for understanding or questioning. Again, another post that tried to belittle any opinion that did not support the original premise (that WotC adventures have numerous illogical or bad elements).

This behavior becomes even more apparent in post #92, where the response to me stating that "Questioning the quality of a product is an acceptable position" is belittled by saying that criticism is healthy and that I think the adventures are perfectly fine.

Which is simply refusing to acknowledge that I said questioning/criticizing is a good thing (acceptable), then claiming the idea as his own, and making a statement claiming I said something that I never said. This is why in post #108 I stated that I was convinced that several people, specifically Robus, was simple blind to what I was saying and was refusing to read, consider, or think about what I have said.

Then, Robus, and eventually Ovinomancer continue to post their summaries of my views that are in direct contradiction to what I said a few posts before (and often in the posts they quote).

And you wonder why I thought I should stop trying to bother explaining?

Okay, to start with, being able to come up with a reason for an illogical situation by adding new information doesn't actually make the initial conditions logical. You've now changed the state of things. Hill giant guards for the Storm Giant royal family is illogical without additional information, information that is completely absent in a 'didn't even think about it' way and not in a 'it's a mystery for the DM to build on' way. That you are willing to do the work and provide additional information to make this weirdness work is a mark in your favor, but doesn't correct the adventure's bad presentation.

Secondly, you seem to have taken great offense to people disagreeing with you. I recommend thinker skin.

And, finally, I've carved this bit out:
Now, answer this question honestly, when did you start composing (in your mind or otherwise) your response to this post? Did you start before you read this sentence? If so, I just made my point, that several people are more interested in arguing or proving their view is correct, then actually reading what I write, considering it, and then thinking about responding to it.
Really? Of course I started thinking about my response while I was reading through your post. Everyone does. No one can read a post and not think about it as they read it, either agreeing or disagreeing with parts, and, if they intend to respond, forming at least the start of their points. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise, and beyond ridiculous to try to hold other people to that as a barometer of their honest engagement. Because everyone fails that test. Everyone.

And, aside from that, just finishing your post doesn't, in any way, preclude arguing for points. Your claim is orthogonal to your supposed goals -- honest, considered, thought about posts can start from addressing points individually as you read and nasty, point-scoring, vitriolic posts can read the whole thing before starting. You need to think through your model of how people post a bit more and maybe, just maybe, go with a model of assuming good intent until conclusively proven otherwise. That's not easy, goodness knows I try and fail on occasion, but it's still a better target than telling people that thought about how'd they'd respond to your first point before getting to your last, especially in a post that has points that aren't each built upon the last.

Secondly, you seem to have taken great offense to people disagreeing with you. I recommend thinker skin.
No I haven't taken any offense at people disagreeing with me.

No one can read a post and not think about it as they read it, either agreeing or disagreeing with parts, and, if they intend to respond, forming at least the start of their points. It's absolutely ridiculous to think otherwise, and beyond ridiculous to try to hold other people to that as a barometer of their honest engagement. Because everyone fails that test. Everyone...
Thank you for informing myself and everyone what we can and can not do. We appreciate it.

I thought you wanted an open and respectful attempt to understand my points. Apparently not.

Once more I will attempt to withdraw from discussing this with you. Let see if you accept that.

Remove ads