D&D 5E Casting multiple spells with bonus spells and the order they are cast.

CapnZapp

Legend
This is what we have been trying to say from the beginning. But it seems that our arguments fall on deaf ears. (or should I say blind eyes?)
This is because he is using faulty arguments.

At first, this could be attributed to simple ignorance (we all make mistakes) but since you have been repeatedly been given the correct answer and still persists in planting misinformation, I am forced to consider alternative interpretations.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Page 12 of the above link:

Can you also cast a reaction spell on your turn?
You sure can! Here’s a common way for it to happen: Cornelius the wizard is casting fireball on his turn, and his foe casts counterspell on him. Cornelius has counterspell prepared, so he uses his reaction to cast it and break his foe’s counterspell before it can stop fireball.

It is possible (without action surge) to cast 3 spells per initiative sequence. An action (cantrip), a bonus action, and a reaction (eg shield or counterspell). The reaction spell can happen at any time, during anyone's turn, as long as the trigger conditions are met.

So for example, Chill Touch, Healing Word, and a Counterspell would be perfectly allowable.
The example has nothing to do with the limit on spellcasting imposed by casting a bonus action spell.

This is because he is using faulty arguments.

At first, this could be attributed to simple ignorance (we all make mistakes) but since you have been repeatedly been given the correct answer and still persists in planting misinformation, I am forced to consider alternative interpretations.

HA HA! You're about to admit that we're right. Thanks a lot. ;)

JonnyP71

Explorer
That is a rule that exists.

That would be a specific rule that only applies when casting a bonus action spell.

Great. Where is the specific rule that allows these reaction spells to override the specific rule for allowed spells when you cast a bonus action spell?

Having a trigger before you can cast it is not a rule. It's a condition for casting the spell.

Since the conditions for reaction spells are much more specific than the general bonus+cantrip, then here specific trumps general

CapnZapp

Legend
It is already said in the rules that a reaction interrupts the turn in which it is occuring. And when the reaction is resolved, the turn can continue. The word interrupt is quite clear (at least in the dictionary). So if the turn is interupted, the reaction isn't part of it. So you can do whatever you have to. When the reaction resolves, the turn resume.

And why would a fighter be allowed his reaction and not a mage or a sorcerer? The intent of that rule has always been to prevent the double fire ball (or whatever mass damage spell you want to put in there). It was not meant to power down some character classes by removing one of their few reactions.

The use of the word "interrupt" is natural in this meaning. It means that whatever a creature is doing on its turn is paused to let the reaction happen, still on the creature's turn.

If the rule was that reactions take place outside turns, not on anyone's turn, this would have been addressed by the rule.

You are basing your entire argument on a single word which doesn't even have to be interpreted strangely or uncommonly to support the established norm. You claim your interpretation of the "interrupt" usage is clear, conveniently ignoring that another interpretation is equally clear.

Apart from that you have nothing.

While the established reading is established exactly because every other rule falls into place if reactions are part of turns.

Your interpretation simply isn't likely given the lack of supporting rules or even wordings/phrasings.

CapnZapp

Legend
It most definitely, 100% is.

Your 'turn' occurs at your point in the initiative sequence, it ends when the next combatant's turn begins, and starts when it is your turn again.

Your reaction can take place at any point during the entire initiative sequence, therefore it is outside of your turn.
This either makes no sense or is amateurish, at best.

That reactions can happen on other turns than your own is a given.

Remove ads