D&D 5E Why don't everything scale by proficiency bonus?

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
If you spent 60 years doing golf things with enough regularity and active interest to improve at it noticeably, you'd be a golfer, not just a guy who occasionally has to try and hit a golf ball in the course of doing other things you actually care about.

In other words, you'd have proficiency.

So you agree that adventurers should have proficiency in adventuring things! Great!

FrogReaver

No. No matter what I've accomplished in my life or places I've visited, nothing has helped me get better at X if I wasn't doing X. I'm most certainly wiser than I was 20 years ago, but that doesn't mean I learned extra skills by osmosis. And since PCs get ASIs as they level up, they do get better than level 1 PCs in general. Whatever the player decides to put those ASIs into.

Alternatively, adventurers are constantly trying to perceive things. Since they are doing X then they should be getting better at X right? Hence, at the very minimum PC's should get better at perception.

Or since doing each skill independently that way would be fiddly and since many dislike fidly systems we could derive a broad class of skills, called adventuring skills that all adventurers get better at as they level.

FrogReaver

Doesn't matter. In a life or death situation I wouldn't suddenly learn how to play. Don't be silly. (also, that's shifting the goalposts from what the OP is describing. They didn't limit a prof bonus only in life and death situations, but all situations based solely on level)

Sure I think it's reasonable to limit such level based bonuses to adventurering skills (since adventuring poses life or death situations nearly constantly).

I'm also with you on instruments and tools in general (and could easily be persuaded of weapons as well), that they are a bit different and shouldn't be counted as an adventuring skill.

So do you think, adventuring provides a sufficient context for improving skills related to adventuring?

FrogReaver

Hi, let us say I am a master carpenter, and a master mason.

Now, I have spent many, many years traveling the globe, learning techniques, and honing my craft.

Surely, just because I can whip up a chair in an hour, or seal coat a basement in an afternoon doesn't mean I should also be better at the flute too! Whether I played it from before I became a carpenter/mason or after.

Of course. But if playing a flute had even a little bit to do with carpentry then surely you would at least be better at it than you were before you began your career.

What skills have even a little bit to do with adventuring? Because those skills you should be a little bit better at than when you first started adventuring. Right?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Why wouldn't they?
Well, let's start with the reasons in the message you quote:
1. They have no particular expertise (not proficient)
2. They have not improved the abilities they don't have (no "skilled" feat, or multiclassing)
3. They have not invested in improving the core abilities (ASIs are another way to raise performance on an untrained skill).

The game provides ways to improve your rolls to skills, and proficiencies chosen are a player choice. The reason they don't improve can be explained both in real-world terms and in game-mecanical terms.

That's why they wouldn't. Now tell me why they would.

If a fighter spends a lot of their time making perception checks, actively looking out for things, fighting off mind-affecting spells and learning what sort of things work and what doesn't, its up to the player to justify why their perceptiveness, willpower and common sense haven't improved.

Likewise if a rogue spends a lot of time climbing walls, running around, and yomping a pack full of rations, camping equipment, weapons and loot up hill and down dale, it is up to the player to explain why they still still have their Str-8 couch-potato physique.

If a wizard has spent a lot of their time watching the fighter kill orcs with a sword, and being attacked by orcs with swords, then they probably still don't understand the nuances of using a sword without training and practice, but they are probably much better at not getting killed by swords than they were when they started out.

FrogReaver

Well, let's start with the reasons in the message you quote:
1. They have no particular expertise (not proficient)
2. They have not improved the abilities they don't have (no "skilled" feat, or multiclassing)
3. They have not invested in improving the core abilities (ASIs are another way to raise performance on an untrained skill).

The game provides ways to improve your rolls to skills, and proficiencies chosen are a player choice. The reason they don't improve can be explained both in real-world terms and in game-mecanical terms.

That's why they wouldn't. Now tell me why they would.

You seem to be answering why they wouldn't in 5e. I'm you realized that wasn't the question I was asking....

FrogReaver

If a fighter spends a lot of their time making perception checks, actively looking out for things, fighting off mind-affecting spells and learning what sort of things work and what doesn't, its up to the player to justify why their perceptiveness, willpower and common sense haven't improved.

Likewise if a rogue spends a lot of time climbing walls, running around, and yomping a pack full of rations, camping equipment, weapons and loot up hill and down dale, it is up to the player to explain why they still still have their Str-8 couch-potato physique.

If a wizard has spent a lot of their time watching the fighter kill orcs with a sword, and being attacked by orcs with swords, then they probably still don't understand the nuances of using a sword without training and practice, but they are probably much better at not getting killed by swords than they were when they started out.

Or, they system could have perception automatically scale with level, but also have other things affect it like stat and proficiency.

Remove ads