D&D 5E Trevor Kidd tweets on the closing of the Wizards forums

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Here's what Trevor Kidd recently posted on twitter about the closing of the Wizards forums, edited only for formatting:

"I could hop onto all the forums having this discussion or I can say it here and let it disseminate. I'm choosing the former. Moving away from running our own forums doesn't mean we think longer conversations or fan sites/forums aren't good or necessary. They are both good & necessary. From what I'm seeing, they flourish and you enjoy them more when they are run/managed by fans.

"#DnD & RPGs in general are all about story telling & talking with friends. It makes sense that we want to share those stories. So, it's vital that we have places to share those experiences & stories, like forums & fansites. But it's not vital that #dnd run those.

"Closing our forums does not in any way lessen our interactions. We'll still be talking & lurking in your social media & fan sites. And the idea that forums are going away because #dnd &/or magic are doing poorly - that's ludicrous! :p Both are doing very, very well.

"We'll still be talking with you here, and elsewhere. Enjoy your new forum homes and don't forget to migrate your treasured content!

"On the topic of losing forum content - it's tough, I agree. Once we knew we were going to close the forums, we also knew we weren't going to maintain the community site indefinitely, so we opted to pull the band-aid off quickly rather than let it linger.

"You have about a month and a half to save whatever you want from the forums, so the content isn't dying, but it is up to you to move it."

WotC_Trevor

First Post
Look at the power I wield! I say a thing and it magically appears everywhere, carried by valiant messengers!

Thanks Merric, have some xp.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I suppose this is just proof of what they're saying - they tweet and it gets out to more places than a post in their own forums ever did. :)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I suppose this is just proof of what they're saying - they tweet and it gets out to more places than a post in their own forums ever did. :)

This is very true. Forums are great places for discussing things, but aren't so good for disseminating information, which is where news sites and twitter come in.

Cheers!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Look at the power I wield! I say a thing and it magically appears everywhere, carried by valiant messengers!

Thanks Merric, have some xp.

Why not put the information in an open archieve for people to see but not alter? Heck Morrus here even mentioned he might be willing to do it if you gave him access to the database. It's impossible to move the bulk of it - the formatting is non-standard for most other message board systems. So it has to be done by hand and slowly reformatted. MUCH easier if we had more time, and an archive to depend on.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Mistwell, I'm going to try and find a solution for automating the reformatting forum posts from Wizards to EN World. I'll let you know in a couple of hours if I have something.

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Right, [MENTION=2525]Mistwell[/MENTION], I have the beginnings of a Windows program that looks at a page on the Wizards forum and converts the post text to BBcode. Currently it's working on url links, bold and italics. Woo! Unfortunately, the Wizards forums seem to be offline just at present, so further development will have to wait.

I'll make it available to you after I've been able to code just a bit more of it.

Cheers!

Remove ads