D&D 5E Whatever "lore" is, it isn't "rules."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imaro

Legend
If I cared about it, which I mostly don't. I see canon as just another bunch of guidelines to use when designing a game, and if what I do violates someone else's preconceived notion of how that setting works...well, tough. Same goes the other way - if my preconceived notion of Greyhawk has two moons and my DM adds in a third one made of Swiss cheese, so what?

And I don't disagree with this sentiment in fact I have expressed numerous times in the thread that, regardless of whether I agree or not, a DM is free to call his campaign whatever he wants... It almost seems like rather than accept we see it differently it's important or necessary that I change my view to accept your parameters of what is canon and accept your game as a canon game... even if I don't think it is.

At a guess I'd say it's that you care about setting canon - what it is, what it isn't, its preservation, etc. - far more than I or some of these other people do. Canon isn't sacred...and thinking about it, 'canon' is probably a bad word to be using for it as it implies a certain sacredness or carved-in-stone-ness. 'Lore' is much better; as lore, when passed down through the ages, gains a certain amount of built-in inaccuracy which is very handy from the design point of view as it can be safely messed with.

Lan-"spinner of tales, weaver of yarns"-efan

But if you truly don't care about canon... why does it matter if I say your game is or isn't canon as long as you're calling it whatever you want? That doesn't seem like an attitude of not carring... it seems to insinuate you care alot about canon and that your changes and modifications be considered canon... or at the least that I not call them out as distinct from canon...

EDIT: Again this isn't directed at you but I'd be interested in what you think but it is more directed at posters like @pemerton, @Hussar and @lowkey13

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
And I don't disagree with this sentiment in fact I have expressed numerous times in the thread that, regardless of whether I agree or not, a DM is free to call his campaign whatever he wants... It almost seems like rather than accept we see it differently it's important or necessary that I change my view to accept your parameters of what is canon and accept your game as a canon game... even if I don't think it is.

But if you truly don't care about canon... why does it matter if I say your game is or isn't canon as long as you're calling it whatever you want?
It doesn't...you're entitled to an opinion, after all...until and unless you sit down at my table and then start in on how my version of element A isn't canon and should instead be element B, etc. etc., a hypothetical example of which might go "We're playing Mystara so how can you possibly run 'Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun'? Tharizdun never existed here!".

My response as DM to that would probably get me banned here, were I to type it out.

That doesn't seem like an attitude of not carring... it seems to insinuate you care alot about canon and that your changes and modifications be considered canon... or at the least that I not call them out as distinct from canon...
Calling it out as distinct from (your view of) canon is fine, if it stops there. But keep in mind that for some of these settings there's lots of different versions of what might be called canon, and what a particular DM is using at the time might not be the same as how you see it while still being perfectly valid. Greyhawk and FR are particularly bad for this as their lore has changed so much over time.

For example, any FR game I ever run will be based (mostly) on the original gray box...which, happily, pre-dates any mention of Drizz't. So, no Drizz't. That said, regardless of which version I might use it will a) not have Drizz't in it, and b) will have a different-looking Ranger class that is not based on him.

Also, keep in mind that saying "hey, that's not canon" is quite different from "hey, that's not canon, you're doing it wrong", as in this case there really is no such thing as wrong.

Lanefan

Hussar

Legend
Narrators are not inherently unreliable. There has to be something about them that makes them an unreliable narrator, like being insane. You don't just get to declare any narrator you feel like an "unreliable narrator".

I have no idea where you get your definition of an unreliable narrator, but, insanity, while a perfectly good reason why a narrator might be unreliable, is certainly not required.

Hussar

Legend

But if you truly don't care about canon... why does it matter if I say your game is or isn't canon as long as you're calling it whatever you want? That doesn't seem like an attitude of not carring... it seems to insinuate you care alot about canon and that your changes and modifications be considered canon... or at the least that I not call them out as distinct from canon...

EDIT: Again this isn't directed at you but I'd be interested in what you think but it is more directed at posters like @pemerton, @Hussar and @lowkey13

But, the question that comes to my mind is, so what? What is the end goal here? What is the benefit or result or whatever for you telling [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] that his game isn't "really Greyhawk"? What is he getting out of it? What are you getting out of it?

See, in that other thread that shall not be mentioned, I did to [MENTION=2067]I'm A Banana[/MENTION] exactly what you're doing to [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] - questioning the canon "authenticity" of his decisions. The difference though, is that I was doing it to prove a point - that such canon distinctions are a giant time wasting wank and make the questioner look like a giant flaming douche bag. I repeatedly stated that I didn't actually believe nor care about the canon. That I was doing what I did specifically to show what it looks like when you start beating someone around the head and shoulders with the canon beatstick.

OTOH, though, you seem to have a genuine goal in mind for telling @Permerton (and [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] as well seems to have some goal in mind) that his game isn't really canon.

So, even assuming that you're 100% right and @Permerton's game isn't canon kosher, so what? Is you telling him that going to improve his game? Is taking a big steaming dump on his ideas going to make him a better DM? Is it going to make the game he's running more interesting?

At the end of the day, what do you hope to accomplish?

Imaro

Legend
But, the question that comes to my mind is, so what? What is the end goal here? What is the benefit or result or whatever for you telling @pemerton that his game isn't "really Greyhawk"? What is he getting out of it? What are you getting out of it?

Discussion... this is a discussion forum right? I mean if you post something here you should expect it to be discussed and not just by those who agree with your stance but by anyone whose a member and who wishes to state their opinions on it. If not why post it here. I could flip the question and ask what people who don't care about canon or lore get from participating in a thread about lore... but again I'm assuming it's to state your opinions and views on it and then discuss. Am I incorrect? Or are you now the arbitrator of what is and isn't a valid opinion to have in a thread?

See, in that other thread that shall not be mentioned, I did to @I'm A Banana exactly what you're doing to @pemerton - questioning the canon "authenticity" of his decisions. The difference though, is that I was doing it to prove a point - that such canon distinctions are a giant time wasting wank and make the questioner look like a giant flaming douche bag. I repeatedly stated that I didn't actually believe nor care about the canon. That I was doing what I did specifically to show what it looks like when you start beating someone around the head and shoulders with the canon beatstick.

That's not how I remember that thread... The difference I remember was that the questioner looked like a giant flaming douche... not because he asked questions... but because he made claims which those with more knowledge of DL summarily called him on, and then chose not to own up to his mistakes it was in fact one of the reasons I wanted to read the passage of the folio...so I actually had knowledge of what was being discussed... and when shown that the number of moons was not definitively stated admitted it was an addition.

OTOH, though, you seem to have a genuine goal in mind for telling @Permerton (and @Maxperson as well seems to have some goal in mind) that his game isn't really canon.

Is that what I did? I could have swore I told @pemerton he was free to call his game whatever he wanted but that I didn't consider it a Greyhwk game but instead a homebrew... I then went on to explain why I made that distinction. The goal was discussion. honestly who would have thought it would be such a sore point for posters who claim that they don't care about canon...

Again I ask what is the goal of those who don't care about lore discussing it? what is you or @pemerton's goal in interjecting on a subject you both have proclaimed to not care about?

So, even assuming that you're 100% right and @Permerton's game isn't canon kosher, so what? Is you telling him that going to improve his game? Is taking a big steaming dump on his ideas going to make him a better DM? Is it going to make the game he's running more interesting?

At the end of the day, what do you hope to accomplish?

You need to go back and re-read this thread... who dumped on his ideas I didn't judge whether they were good or bad only whether I considered them canonical. Show me a single post where I made a value judgement about what he was chosing to do or with hjim calling his campaign a Greyhawk campaign. what it really feels like is that you're trying to shut down those who don't fall in line with your views of canon by creating false accusations and using hyperbole... so I'll wait show me where I made a value judgement and I'll own up... but if not how about you admit that you have falsely accused me and used hyperbole? If anyone in this thread moved into this territory it was @lowkey13 who chose to assign motivations, and make borderline personal attacks.

Last edited:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
For example, any FR game I ever run will be based (mostly) on the original gray box...which, happily, pre-dates any mention of Drizz't. So, no Drizz't. That said, regardless of which version I might use it will a) not have Drizz't in it, and b) will have a different-looking Ranger class that is not based on him.

Also, keep in mind that saying "hey, that's not canon" is quite different from "hey, that's not canon, you're doing it wrong", as in this case there really is no such thing as wrong.

Lanefan

Personally if I was playing in your Forgotten Realms game I would be disappointed if there were no "famous" NPCs. I would feel like that old lady on the TV looking for the beef.

Thats not to say that it would be a game breaker.

pemerton

Legend
Whereas I'm saying that Wizards of High Sorcery evokes a mental image of the Krynn version when people who know about Krynn hear that name used. Using a name that evokes a specific mental image in a setting other than it was created for is what I consider to be poor DMing.
What if none of the players are familiar with DL/Krynn?

Or what if the players enjoy having a mental imagine of another setting evoked, much as mind flayers evoke the Lovecraftian Mythos, classic rangers evoke Aragorn, etc.

The only reason you consider it poor GMing is because you wouldn't do it. But that's not a standard for judging something poor. You have to actually articulate some way in which it made the game worse and not better. Which you haven't done, and haven't even tried to do - eg you haven't engaged with my point that many PCs in this campaign were WoHS, many memorable NPCs were WoHS, politicking among the wizards in the context of broader Great Kingdom politics (itself an established GH trope/theme) was a focus of the campaign at higher levels, etc.

That he removed that one aspect of Wizards of High Sorcerery is as bad, or even a bit worse than keeping it would have been. It jerks that mental image around a bit more. The first mental jerk is when he uses it on Greyhawk instead of Krynn, evoking the image of the Krynn wizards. Then there is a second mental jerk when the players find out that there are further changes to the mental image.
Which players? The occurrence of "mental jerks" is an empirical fact. You can't know it a priori. Does my report that the campaign was enjoyed by its participants, and that the WoHS were a popular component of it, not count as relevant evidence to you?

Also, in the context of the relationship between classic rangers and Aragorn, discussed at some length upthread, you seemed to think that the two mental jerks (first, they don't have to be Dunedain in line for the kingship to use palantiri, and secondly they can also use Medallions of ESP) was a good thing rather than a bad thing, because it distanced classic D&D rangers from Middle Earth. Why is it a good thing in relation to Aragorn and rangers but a bad thing in relation to WoHS? Why does double-jerking enhance the borrowing from Middle Earth/LotR but worsen the borrowing from DL/Krynn?

Which is why I don't consider what he used in GH as the WoHS... he didn't use the name, changed some of the defining concepts of it and transported it to another setting.
I would have assumed that other wizards are considered renegades, they hunt other wizards down, and in order to do this are either pretty old and powerful, pretty widespread or (as the cas with DL) both. In other words for me this is a big part of their lore and characterization in DL.
The idea that "transporting them to another setting" makes them not WoHS pretty much puts the kaibosh on borrowing anything from one setting for another, doesn't it?

Otherwise - they are a powerful and ancient order (check), of wizards (check), whose headquarters are towers (check), who are divided into three sub-orders (check), who are white, red and black robes (check), who have control over semi-discrete spheres of magic (check), who each drawn their power from a different moon (check), with said power waxing and waning with the phases of the moon (check), each of which is on a different cycel (check), and who govern the order jointly via a conclave (check).

The only "defining concepts" that I have changed is that they don't attempt to enforce a monopoly over wizardry (as soon as they become an ancient Suloise order that is going to follow: the Baklun, at least, are obviously going to have their own traditions; and in any event the name itself suggests that there might be some other extant forms of sorcery that are not High), and the colours and cycles of the moons are not identical.

It baffles me that that is enough to make the not WoHS. I don't think anyone who was familiar with WoHS from DL and who encountered them by joining, or observing the play of, our campaign would be confused. I think all the points I noted above would make it pretty clear to them.

As far as the name is concerned, AS I POSTED UPTHREAD, they were called, both at the table and in the fiction, Wizards of High Sorcery (quite often "Wizards" for short).

My understanding has been that he called it a tiger(same name), gave it orange and white stripes(red, white and black robes), put it in Asia(3 moons to power things), and then said they were vegetarians(don't hunt renegades).
The question of whether the hunting of renegades is as central to the concept of WoHS as being carnivorous is to a tiger is an open question. For instance, a tiger's whole physiology makes no sense if it is a herbivore (it has the teeth, body type, forward-facing eyes, etc of a carnivore); whereas none of the features of WoHS that I ran through, and which were features of the order in my GH game, depend upon the wizards claiming a monopoly over magic.

I must of missed where he changed the name. He has been calling them Wizards of High Sorcery this entire time and was astonished that I would consider a name change as helpful.
It would be a pinch, rather than a punch. Not too bad and has much less impact on the fabric of the setting.
I'm astonished that you think a double-jerk is bad, but a third jerk (ie changing their identity by sticking on a Groucho Marx moustache) would make it all better again.

I also don't understand "the impact on the fabric of the setting". Both GH and DL have rangers. Both, therefore, have some characters whose level title is Stider - which is the folk name of Aragorn in LotR. If no settings' fabrics were harmed in the making of that pastiche, then I'm not sure how my GH game also having an order of WoHS is damaging any fabric.

I mean, what particular bit of the fabric was torn? What is it about canon GH that implies that there are not ancient orders of wizardry whose powers might fluctuate with the phases of the moon? As I've already posted, this is stock-standard S&S stuff, and exactly the sort of thing that GH points to with its ancient magical empires, its in-fiction emphasis on the signifance of astrology and heavenly bodies, etc.

Whereas with a different name and some changed defining characteristics, I would eventually discover that they are similar, but different
By "eventually" do you mean "within about 30 seconds"?

If [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] had named his order of Wizards something like "Wizards of the Celestial Towers", and then explained all of their characteristics, I still would have arrived at "Oh, like the Wizards of High Sorcery, but on Greyhawk", but with a lot of wasted discussion.
My only quibble with this would be the discussion would take less than a minute, I think.

But anyay, on top of your point, WoHS is a cool name. There's a reason the DL authors used it.

The AD&D PHB wouldn't have been better if Gygax had decided to call rangers wilderness warriors so as to try and disguise their derivation from JRRT.

It can be hard to keep up at points.
It would probably be easier for you and [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION] to keep up with the details of my campaign by asking (and then accepting my answers) rather than guessing and imputing and disregarding the things I actually tell you about it (such as eg the fact that noone who actually played the campaign, or observed the play of it, seemed to suffer any "mental jerks").

And [MENTION=48965]Imaro[/MENTION], I have never asserted that WoHS are part of canon GH. Of course they're not. (As I have also said upthread multiple times.) But that's nothing special - every GH game must depart from canon, because it will include events, refinements of detail (eg about locations, the colour of Tenser's socks, etc) and the like that are not themselves found in any canon source.

What I am asserting is that my campaign is aptly described as a GH campaign, and doesn't cease to be one just because, instead of deciding that Tenser's socks are brown and that the door to the Green Dragon Inn has a square window with a grill in it, I decided some new stuff about astrolonomical phenomena and ancient Suloise magical practices.

pemerton

Legend
Sure and on the other hand you have DMs that choose what races and classes the Players can use so what is the chance the DM is going to let there be a PC created hidden third moon?
Doesn't it depend on the GM.

I mean, if the GM is one of those who builds the whole campaign world in advance (including permitted and forbidden races and classes) then maybe not much.

But if it's me, or maybe [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION] in the right mood, then maybe the chances are quite good. Players in my game introduce details of history, of cosmology, and the like all the time. I can't remember if anything astronomical has ever been introduced yet by a player in the course of playing the game, but it's hardly out of the question that it might be done!

pemerton

Legend
A narrator who's native to the setting is, to some extent, inherently unreliable - they have a certain point of view, an agenda, a stake in the world. They're telling you, at best, what they know, or what they believe to be true - which very well might not be the whole truth, if only because they necessarily lack a larger perspective.

The use of an in-world narrator instead of an omniscient author is a deliberate choice, and it carries weight. Part of that weight is the subtext that you need to take the speaker's word with a grain of salt. Look at that excerpt from the Greyhawk folio - it's full of cues that the speaker is giving you a very biased and slanted take on his subject matter; oh boy does he have an agenda, and he's not even making much of an effort to hide it.
I disagree. By making the narrator a sage or expert in the field, you are granting that person extreme reliability on the subject.
[MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION], once again I am baffled. Your post here suggests tone-deafness to the writing.

Consider these passages, which are uttered in the voice of the narrator:

Little is known about the lands of the western portion of Oerik, less still about the savage inhabitants of the other continents, but such knowledge is, of course, of little use anyway and of no importance to humanity.

The heavens are far more important and interesting. We must study the stars . . .​

Do you think a group who play a GH game that focuses on the western portion of Oerik, or on another continent; that largely ignores the heavens and the stars; and in which some event in those lands other than Oerik actually turns out to be crucial to the fate of humanity; is not really a GH game? Because it does not accord to the value judgements put into the mouth of the sage?

That's absurd. The writing of the sage is so obviously ironic, not at the in-fiction level but at the real-world level (ie Gygax is inviting us to laugh along at the absurd and narrow minded know-it-all-ness of the sage) that I can't believe it needs pointing out.

The reference to other text which exist nowhere else in the canon only reinforces this. A GM who places Selvor the Elder's Secrets of Ye Skye Revealed into his/her game, and includes within that text a chapter on the little-known black moon that powers the Suloise Black Robe wizards is not departing from what GH wrote. S/he is playing along with it.

Nothing would be a bigger sign of having missed the whole point than po-facedly treating the sage's comments in the same way as (say) the impersonal, omnisicient narrator's account of the history of the Suel-Baklun wars and resulting migrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads