Using ideals, bonds, flaws and traits for advantage

Has D&D not updated Inspiration in an errata yet? I don't see why; advantage is usable in combat...

"Once per session" is an improvement over "DM will grant it to you" because it shows that PCs will predictably gain more Inspiration, and also that they will predictably lose the resource if they don't use it. I wouldn't force players to explain why, as it might deter them from using it, but I'd leave the opportunity open.

Any reason you left Alignment out of the IBFT family?

And from left field...how often do the Critical Role people use their Inspiration?

The explanation really I had in mind is just so they have an opportunity to flesh out their character in front of others. But really yes it should be very lenient and granted easily in practice.

As for alignment, it doesn't grant inspiration as per phb if I remember rightly, and I don't really use it in my games.

[MENTION=6848185]CubicsRube[/MENTION] I think that is a nice change. It’s not very different from the actual rule, and te changes put it purely in the hands of the player as a resource to be used. It removes the DM having to grant Inspiration to a player, which seems to be something that is often overlooked. Seems like a solid take on it.

Thanks!

I do want to try it out, but I am comfortably enjoying being a player (what luxury!) In a 5e campaign and running a different campaign, so I just have no room for it.

But then I also have so many systems on my to do list..

Satyrn

First Post
The explanation really I had in mind is just so they have an opportunity to flesh out their character in front of others. But really yes it should be very lenient and granted easily in practice.

As for alignment, it doesn't grant inspiration as per phb if I remember rightly, and I don't really use it in my games.

Alignment comes up in the Ideals, anyway.

Retreater

Legend
I'd love to just cut inspiration and backgrounds out of the game altogether. Or make them more significant. As is, they seem just like an after thought.

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

My group is making Inspiration a rare thing. So far in levels 1 through 4, I've awarded Inspiration only twice (all players must agree with me as DM it is a valid award). Once for victory over a group of orcs. It as a crazy battle, every down but the dwarf tank (it could easily have been a TPK), but through luck and smart play, the player made it through defeating the orcs and saving the party. The second time a player had a great idea, which furthered the storyline along and saved the party a lot of headache later on.

Neither of them have used it yet.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I'd love to just cut inspiration and backgrounds out of the game altogether. Or make them more significant. As is, they seem just like an after thought.

Its hard for me to understand your viewpoint.

For us, backgrounds flavor everything. It ties the characters to the world differently.

The Folk Hero fighter and Criminal fighter seem almost like different classes. Granted, much of it is the fluff and campaign interaction, but the background just opens up avenues in different directions.

Satyrn

First Post
My group is making Inspiration a rare thing. So far in levels 1 through 4, I've awarded Inspiration only twice (all players must agree with me as DM it is a valid award). Once for victory over a group of orcs. It as a crazy battle, every down but the dwarf tank (it could easily have been a TPK), but through luck and smart play, the player made it through defeating the orcs and saving the party. The second time a player had a great idea, which furthered the storyline along and saved the party a lot of headache later on.

Neither of them have used it yet.

If I was playing in that game, I would be forwarding a motion to award Inspiration when a character tied his shoes. "he did an awesome job, guys, we should award him for it! And I say we give inspiration to Jim for breathing well."

Why isn't your group handing out Inspiration like it's a Pontiac G6 and they're Oprah?

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

If I was playing in that game, I would be forwarding a motion to award Inspiration when a character tied his shoes. "he did an awesome job, guys, we should award him for it! And I say we give inspiration to Jim for breathing well."

Why isn't your group handing out Inspiration like it's a Pontiac G6 and they're Oprah?

Nice LOL! They don't hand out Inspiration--I do. But, they have to agree the award is valid and the act/thought/role-play merits it.

Of course, for the two that do still have it... they could do that if they wanted to give their inspiration point to another player for tying his shoes...

Inspiration isn't really that strong. I've seen many a roll with advantage still flub.

I'm not generally a fan of inspiration by itself though, because it feels disconnected from what was done to acheive it.

I much prefer the idea that the paladin says "my bond is to never let an innocent under my protection die" and then they can take advantage on that next hit of smitey goodness.

Perhaps inspiration works as a blessing from a deity, or from a much needed feast, or something else similar.

Hence I'm happy for the characters to have advantage up to potentially 5 times per session.

After all by the time my barbarian wolf totem hit 3rd, i gave everyone else advantage on melee attacks near me. And at first level I can buy a crowbar and gain advantage on every strength door opening check for the rest of my career.

Remove ads