How big's the RPG market?

How big is the RPG market? Pretty damn tiny, is the answer. As of 2016/2017 it's about $35m in size, according to ICv2. That's of a Hobby Games market currently worth just over a billion dollars. The RPG segment is a mere 2.9% of the overall Hobby Games market, which includes boardgames, miniatures, hobby card games, and collectible games. Of course, the competition for RPGs isn't just boardgames or card games, it's entertainment; and on that scale, the RPG market is a tiny niche of the Hobby Games market, which is a tiny niche of the global entertainment market. Note that these figures are US and Canada only, and include Kickstarter sales.

How big is the RPG market? Pretty damn tiny, is the answer. As of 2016/2017 it's about $35m in size, according to ICv2. That's of a Hobby Games market currently worth just over a billion dollars. The RPG segment is a mere 2.9% of the overall Hobby Games market, which includes boardgames, miniatures, hobby card games, and collectible games. Of course, the competition for RPGs isn't just boardgames or card games, it's entertainment; and on that scale, the RPG market is a tiny niche of the Hobby Games market, which is a tiny niche of the global entertainment market. Note that these figures are US and Canada only, and include Kickstarter sales.

UPDATE: the below $1.19B figure has since been revised upwards by ICv2 to $1.4B in 2017, with an RPG segment of $45M.

hobby_games_market_size.png

The hobby games market as a whole is the size of one major movie blockbuster. The global film industry market was 38.3 billion in 2015. Putting that into perspective:

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 14.50.56.png

The video game industry is even bigger, at $91B in 2016.

video_game.png

However, the entire hobby games market is growing year on year. Just look at the latest stats: the market has grown from $700M in 2013 to $1.19B in 2016/2017. Of that, RPGs have more than doubled in size, from $15M to $35M. Boardgames have over tripled in size. There is definitely a tabletop boom going on right now, powered by a number of factors ranging from Kickstarter, to the introduction of US West Coast media (shows like Tabletop and outlets like Geek & Sundry have helped to mainstream tabletop gaming), and more.

Data from ICv2 and other sources.

SaveSave
SaveSave
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Publishers have plenty of strategies to implement brand protection that doesn't run afoul of antitrust laws. We've seen this already with a number of publishers, with Asmodee being the biggest and most recent example. There is nothing stopping WOTC from protecting their brand other than their will to do so. It's one of those taboo discussion points as well. They're willing to discuss anything but this.
Well the do soft brand protection, for instance by releasing to FLGSes early. They don't participate in Bits 'n Mortar, but if they did that would be another way.

Add in that US culture tends to be more litigious than European, and there are lots of things a European company (especially one with few American lawyers) would be willing to tell a US subsidiary to do that a US company (especially one with a large legal department) would prohibit a division/subsidiary from doing.

I'll just hop in and say that it's not a cultural issue. It's a legal one.

The US is one of the only countries in the world which doesn't have a loser pays system. In virtually every other country, if you sue someone and lose, you have to pay their legal fees they spent defending themselves. In the US the only drawback is the cost of your own attorney, and a LOT of lawyers are willing to work for 1/3 of the payout if they think they have a halfway decent shot of making bank. That's what all of the ambulance chasers are talking about in commercials when they say "I don't get paid unless you get paid". They'll do it for a 5-10% chance of victory if the potential payout is big enough.

There are disadvantages to it as well - but I still think that the US should switch to a loser pays system to cut down on all of the crazy frivolous lawsuits. (It would also help with healthcare costs. My sister, a doctor, has been sued about some crazily stupid stuff - which jacks up her malpractice insurance and makes her need to charge patients more to pay for it.)

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
3. The consensus, because nobody knows anything in the game trade for sure, is well over half of RPG sales happen online, mostly Amazon. When Wizards of the Coast allows Amazon to sell the Player's Handbook below distribution costs, well duh. It hurts new player acquisition as the FLGS is the acknowledged marketing arm of the game trade.

WotC doesn't "allow" Amazon to sell it below distribution costs.

It is illegal for a manufacturer to set the price a retailer can sell it (in the US and Canada at least). They can't do anything at all about Amazon's price (other than raise the wholesale price). But Amazon can still sell it for a loss if they'd like.

They can institute a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) policy that would restrict the price that Amazon can post on their page. You'd have to add it to a shopping cart to see the price.

see

Pedantic Grognard
It is illegal for a manufacturer to set the price a retailer can sell it (in the US and Canada at least).
That's slightly outdated. While minimum resale price agreements used to be per se illegal in the U.S. (and had been since 1911's Dr. Miles Medical Co. decision), ten years ago the US Supreme Court moved it to a "rule of reason" offense in Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc. So it's now possible to legally set a minimum price for retailers in the U.S., if you can satisfy a court that you're not restraining trade to the detriment of consumers.

Emerikol

Adventurer
I'm not faulting you because it's very interesting data. I do though think sales is not the true measure of how much something is played. Roleplaying games just cost a lot less in financial investment than non-roleplaying games. Now I agree that we are very small. Maybe though not as small as these numbers indicate if hours played was the comparison instead of money spent.

Giorgicus

Explorer
Given the limitations of the research in the OP, it is still nice to see this information each year. I enjoy seeing which RPGs are in the fight for the top five rankings. :)

I am an "all of the above" gamer; I play dice games, card games, board games, online games, mobile games, PC games, console games, miniature games, role-playing games, with legos, hope to one day play at a convention games, and dream about games. Am I part of the problem, or part of the solution for making my favorite RPG hobby thrive? :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not faulting you because it's very interesting data. I do though think sales is not the true measure of how much something is played. Roleplaying games just cost a lot less in financial investment than non-roleplaying games. Now I agree that we are very small. Maybe though not as small as these numbers indicate if hours played was the comparison instead of money spent.

It’s only measuring market share. Any other metrics are their own thing.

The_Gunslinger658

First Post
Whoa mohammad; Over in the 5E section, there is a thread bashing Forgotten Realms, I like the realms, but I am not going to huff and puff over people who dislike it, it is there right as Americans to voice their opinion on what they feel is right or wrong with the realms. The same I think should go with 4E, if people do not like it, than let people speak freely about and not have a russian like attitude towards free speech. We are grown all grown men and know how to ignore threads that might get peoples blood boiling.

Keep it civil, please. We really don't need any more edition warring on these boards - no matter which edition you happen to prefer or dislike.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Whoa mohammad; Over in the 5E section, there is a thread bashing Forgotten Realms, I like the realms, but I am not going to huff and puff over people who dislike it, it is there right as Americans to voice their opinion on what they feel is right or wrong with the realms. The same I think should go with 4E, if people do not like it, than let people speak freely about and not have a russian like attitude towards free speech. We are grown all grown men and know how to ignore threads that might get peoples blood boiling.

Don’t argue publicly with moderators, please. If you want to ask Darkness about moderation, you can contact him directly.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads