Flint's Finest Entry-level Field Agents

Samuel Cole

First Post
I just wrapped up our fourth session of Zeitgeist, and we're having a great time! I thought it'd be fun to share what we're doing with other Zeitgeist fans (and creators), both to get ideas and see how things can differ from game to game, but I don't want to simply post the giant walls of text that comprise our campaign notes.

So, first, I thought I'd ask ya'll - what are you most interested in reading? Weird and unexpected things that our PCs do that take us off-script? Ways I'm modifying the adventures to personalize it to the PCs backstories? Outcomes of encounters?

Let me know what would interest you most, and I'll provide. :)

hirou

Explorer
I think many of those visiting these forums are quite happy with reading wall of texts. At least, I've read through a significant portion of campaign notes posted here :D I made this thread a while ago to collect random awesome facts about Zeitgeist players' actions, so you may post there if you have something especially cool.
And welcome to the club!

Samuel Cole

First Post
The Cast

This group is mostly new to roleplaying, and so they’re simultaneously learning a) the peculiarities of the Zeitgeist world, b) how to play D&D, and c) what roleplaying is, all at once. It’s quite a ride, and they’re doing great.

I’m a big believer in having stories that are tailored to suit the characters, because “My own brother betrayed me” has more emotional impact than “This guy I met three adventures ago just betrayed me.”

So, to achieve that, we did character creation collaboratively between players and the DM: i.e. a player would say “I was a prisoner in Danor until Risur liberated me,” and I’d respond “Yes, and the leader of that group was Margeret Saxby.” And so on.

Without further introduction, here’s our cast:

Eliza: the urban daughter of a human and elf who were brought together by their mutual devotion to the Old Faith, Eliza promptly rebelled as soon as she came of age. She’s quite interested in the artistic potential of technology, and has made a name for herself as a manufacturer of innovative musical instruments, building pieces for Rock Rackus and the Band. Half-elf Bard Technologist.

Eogan: an Eladrin shape-changer and mystic from Elfaivar who has believes Risur is not only the central power of Lanjyr, but also the only nation which is likely to continue to honor the Fey. He has entered the service of the king in the hopes that he can rise through the ranks, eventually positioning himself to be able to influence domestic policy in favor of the fey as an ambassador, governor, or similar. He is mistrusted by the RHC, however, because his brother, Asrabey, has similar goals but a more violent approach. Eladrin Warden Martial Scientist.

Laerni: a halfling native of a Risuri-held island in the Yerasol archipelago, Laerni was captured at the beginning of the Fourth Yerasol War and spent most of her teenage years working in a Danoran factory. She was eventually liberated by a joint Risuri/Fey strike force led by Margaret Saxby, who recruited her into the Constabulary. Instilled with a hatred of Danor and a desire to be more Risuri than Risur, she threw herself into the traditional Risuri ways under the mentorship of Nevard Sechim and made a pact with the fey to serve them in exchange for power. Halfling Warlock Skyseer.

Stana: a peasant girl from Crisillyir who displayed a natural aptitude for healing. She studied in Alais Primos, along with her sister, until her sister died in the wars leading up to the Second Victory. In a rage-fueled moment, Stana prayed for vengeance, and was transformed from a healing cleric to a malediction invoker. Eventually, she witnessed the death of Srasama and spent the next few hundred years dying over and over again, slowly losing her humanity and she searches for blessed rest. Deva Invoker Eschatologist.

Ulharaja: a young, charismatic dragon born from a “noble” family in Ber (i.e. daughter of a tribal warlord), Ulharaja wants nothing more than to join the Executores dola Liberta. Step one of this process was entering civil service, and she was promptly loaned to the Risuri government as a talented young field agent. Her exotic background and winsome personality have quickly made her the toast of the docker community, who love nothing more than something strange, foreign, and articulate. Dragonborn Sorcerer Docker.

Zahn: the son a human and an elf who left their homes to find work building railroads, Zahn has always been comfortable with technology, and his nomadic upbringing has left strongly attached to Risur, but always an outsider. Something of a fire gem savant, he began experimenting with building firearms at a young age, when he was discovered and recruited by Stover Delft, who has promised him a place in the RHC’s Research and Development wing after he’s gained some experience as a field agent. Half-elf Rogue Gunsmith.

Samuel Cole

First Post
Session 1: The RNS Coaltongue

The first session started a bit slowly - with a group new to roleplaying, the players were much more comfortable with the “gamier” aspects of the game than they were with embodying their characters. I think that their inhibitions stunted their acting chops, but I suspect they’ll grow into it as they become more comfortable with roleplaying (and become more comfortable with each other).

• The group managed to find three of the docker instigators, spending a few too many actions investigating a group of nearby primalists and a group of grumpy-looking veterans. I don’t count those as wasted actions, though, because it allowed us to explore political realities of the Zeitgeist world.
  • Afterward, Delft brought the party to meet with Harkover Lee, who looked Ulharaja over, smirked, and said something to the effect of “A dragon in the King’s service? Now I’ve seen everything.” Ha ha, I’m so good at foreshadowing. (Also, apparently people from Ber have some sort of weird Israeli/Turkish accent in my game.)
  • Once on board the Coaltongue, Zahn introduced himself to Pemberton and impressed him. Seeing the usefulness of an ally within the RHC, Pemberton invited him to come to the factory sometime.
  • Eliza stuck up a conversation with a more-than-tipsy Masarde, asking all about the construction and design of the ship. She actually asked, unprompted, about the energy transfer efficiency of the steam engine, allowing Masarde to explain (at length) how the Brand worked and how brilliant he was for designing it. Score one for the party.
  • I gave Eogan three opportunities to notice that the Duchess’s handmaiden was an Eladrin, and he failed all three times.
  • Later that day, on deck, Delft asked the PCs to go retrieve the Duchess. Two of them go below while the other four stayed on deck. When they got to the Duchess’s room, there was no answer to their knocking, they heard a splash in the water, and they spend a few moments debating the merits of picking the lock vs breaking down the door.
  • They end up picking the lock just as the band starts playing, initiating the combat. I gave the PCs on deck a Perception DC 18 check to notice either the sounds of fighting below them or the fact that the smoke had stopped, but they all fail. I reduced the DC by 2 every turn thereafter.
  • The Eladrin handmaid teleported past the party and started sending her Fire Sprites toward the magazine. Fighting ensues. A few rounds later, Eliza notices that the smoke has stopped and decides to go check on the engine room, but doesn’t mention to anyone else that she’s leaving.
  • The rest of the fight is a bit of a fiasco, with the PCs spread out over at least three different decks at all times with fights happening simultaneously in the engine room, the magazine, and the gun deck. It takes the rest of the PCs about six rounds to get involved in the combat. Eventually, the Fire Sprites and Engineers are killed.
  • When the “explosion count” got down to 10, I told the PCs that they should probably switch their plan to “save as many people as possible before we all die.” Their response was, “No, we can still pull this off!” #confidence
  • With 6 rounds left on the clock, the Eladrin Handmaid decided to peace out and teleported out a porthole, confident in the success of her task. Zahn, the gunsmith, suddenly thought to divert all the extra energy in the boiler out through the Brand, and the remainder of the countdown was used trying to pass the arcane, nature, and religion checks.

Given that the handmaid survived and escaped, I think I’m going to have her come back as Gale in adventure 2.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
My party also let the handmaiden escape, and they've been convinced that she was Gale ever since.

Stana's is my favorite backstory. #TeamStana

Samuel Cole

First Post
Session 2: The Three Towers

The session kicked off like this...

Delft: Congrats, everyone - you'll be rewarded for your success last week. What's the most amazing reward you can possibly imagine?
Zahn: Another opportunity to serve our king?
Delft: Precisely!

From there, things proceeding mostly accordingly to plan. The Crack team of Constables from the Capital (tm) got caught in a planar hiccup. Seven-foot Dan was the only survivor (because I couldn't remember Burton's name in the moment), and the party attempted to communicate with him via pantomime because they'd cast Silence on the themselves immediately before entering the water and didn't want to undo the enchantment and waste the scrolls. Hilarity ensued.

They ended up giving him a healing potion for his broken leg and promised to come back for him later.

(It took them a few days, but they did eventually retrieve him. Since they blew 50gp for that healing potion, I thought it'd be unkind to have them die of exposure in the intervening time, so instead I ruled that he'd walk with a permanent limp and would be take off of field duty and stuck behind a desk in the main FHC office. Note to self: I need to find a way for Seven-foot Dan to make another appearance some time in the future.)

Proceeding into the Sea Cave, they got into a fight with Dupiers. Excited use their powers, they kept kicking him in the shins until he had no choice but to run, despite repeated hints that he was only fighting them due to a misunderstanding. The party grabbed him and interrogated him, but didn't rob him of his fancy icons. (The Icon of Avilona, on the other hand, remains in the party's possession.)

The group headed over the mountains toward the fort, stepping briefly into the extra-planar yellow-frog swamp and unexpectedly running into a headless golem bumping through the woods. Eliza, who is fairly dextrous, managed to snag a rock from the swamp and a sample of witchoil from the golem, and both remain in her possession. Note to self: Can I make this relevant at some point?

Finally, on a hill overlooking the fort, the party decided that the smartest way to open the sea gate was to use their remaining Water Breathing scrolls to go around the fort rather than through it, and then fly up to the top of the wall one at a time via the Avilona Icon.

Thinking tactically, two of them distracted everyone in the lighthouse, using Pyrotechnics on some barrels of gunpowder, while another PC pushed guards off the wall and the last PC opened the sea gate. 10 rounds later, the Risuri navy sailed into the bay and the boom of cannons filled the night.

(Note that Eogan had to miss this session, so I had Delft divert him with task of body guarding some random ship captain, which was obviously busy-work. When Eogan pressed him on the point, Delft admitted, "Risuri Intelligence thinks your brother might be involved somehow, and I don't want you putting your team at risk by making bad decisions.")

Last edited:

eamon

Explorer
The group headed over the mountains toward the fort, stepping briefly into the extra-planar yellow-frog swamp and unexpectedly running into a headless golem bumping through the woods. Eliza, who is fairly dextrous, managed to snag a rock from the swamp and a sample of witchoil from the golem, and both remain in her possession. Note to self: Can I make this relevant at some point?

I don't think the rock can mean much - though much later, when they're tracking down apet energy, they might notice it's aglow with the energy from some other plane. Then again, that mostly just confirms what they likely already suspect - it's another plane.

Witchoil, on the other hand, is a little juicier - it should be possible to determine it's from (the boundary to) the bleak gate, and maybe it's even infused with souls (I forget if the witchoil on the island is). In any case, it's odd to find something like that on a likely danoran-made golem, and that may raise questions when it's later discovered that mcbannin was refining the stuff. In particular, the next adventure also features a witchoil-infused golem, and it's at the least surprising to see that arcano-tech appear in two apparently unrelated cases.

Cool rightup btw! I'm going to start a zeitgeist campaign soon, and I'm lapping up every word :)

hirou

Explorer
Eliza, who is fairly dextrous, managed to snag a rock from the swamp and a sample of witchoil from the golem, and both remain in her possession. Note to self: Can I make this relevant at some point?

I had a similar situation. My elf avenger player wanted to get "The Fading One - Ghostfoot" boon, flavor text of which reads something like "you begin to fade from this world". I decided that his character, Erdan Subtlestep, picked up the remains of the immurement that Asrabey Varal used to pass through the Axis island fortress walls, and now he is bonded with the plane, sliver of which was contained in the immurement.

Thing is, both the plane in immurement and the yellow-frog swamp plane (and others hallucinatory planes from island) are from beyond the Axis seal. My group is now in the beginning of Digging for Lies, and Dr. Xambria is suddenly very, VERY interested in Erdan ("...Haven't I seen you before? Which school did you attend? Did you study archaeology? Would you like a dinner?"), because Sidjen "smells" a sliver of very distant plane inside of him. In fact, I think that he will demand "3 artifacts... and your friend here" in the semi-final scene in the museum, to use Erdan as a guiding light to the plane within, then navigate to Gidim from there. Should this fail, star map which Saxby has is the back-up plan. This gives him an actual motivation to strive for victory in museum fight.

Remove ads