What do you expect out of dual wielding?

What results are important to you when two-weapon fighting?

• More consistent damage dealing that single weapon

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • More risk for more reward - potentially the highest damage

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Total damage on par with two handed weapons

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Total damage less than a two handed weapon (because it has other bonuses)

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Able to split damage up among several targets

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Passive parrying to improve defenses

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • Active parrying that takes the place of any attack

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • You missed an option, I'll explain below

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • None of these

Votes: 3 7.9%

If I manage to hit with everything (stabstabstab), I expect to do about as much damage as when my friend's big two-handed CHOP hits.
This seems unbalanced. You'll have a better chance to hit with two separate attack rolls, but you also want to do as much damage on two hits as the guy who only gets one attack? Nah man, that ain't fair.

Aldarc

Legend
You missed an option: mostly an aesthetic choice that players desire to confer some mechanical advantage that justifies and rationalizes that aesthetic choice.

G

Guest 6801328

"None of the Above"

At least, I don't have a specific preference.

The three basic styles...sword and board, 2H, and dual...should each involve different trade-offs so that there are trade-offs, each has strengths and weaknesses, so that all 3 are equally valid choices.

I don't really care at all about historical accuracy or realism. In fact, the opposite. I'd rather a game make no attempt to be accurate or realistic because doing so always seems to lead to breaking those three criteria.

I'm even fine with rules that don't distinguish between them at all (Dungeon World?), although it is fun if the choices lead to playstyle differences.

In The One Ring, which for a long time had no "dual wield" option, I know some tables used the house rule that dual wielding was equivalent to using a 2H weapon: same encumbrance (2 weapons instead of one big one), same damage, same defense. It seemed to work just fine.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
This seems unbalanced. You'll have a better chance to hit with two separate attack rolls, but you also want to do as much damage on two hits as the guy who only gets one attack? Nah man, that ain't fair.

Except you won't have a better chance to hit with two separate attack rolls. You may have a better to hit with one of the two, but you actually have a decreased chance to hit with both than packing everything into one roll.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Honestly, I haven't given this much thought, but I'd like to see specializing in two-weapon fighting to result in some options like the manuevers available to D&D 5E's battle master fighters. So: parrying, distracting, feigning, protecting allies, etc.

G

Guest 6801328

Honestly, I haven't given this much thought, but I'd like to see specializing in two-weapon fighting to result in some options like the manuevers available to D&D 5E's battle master fighters. So: parrying, distracting, feigning, protecting allies, etc.

Why shouldn't other styles get the same things? What does that add to the game to restrict it to one style?

Now, I could see it if each style had strengths/weaknesses, so that, for example, you were better at parrying and protecting with a shield but did less damage, and better at feigning and distracting with dual wield and did moderate damage, and maybe just do more damage with a 2H, or something like that.

(Looking forward to hearing hysterical tirades about my lack of realism with those specific choices.)

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Why shouldn't other styles get the same things? What does that add to the game to restrict it to one style?

Now, I could see it if each style had strengths/weaknesses, so that, for example, you were better at parrying and protecting with a shield but did less damage, and better at feigning and distracting with dual wield and did moderate damage, and maybe just do more damage with a 2H, or something like that.

(Looking forward to hearing hysterical tirades about my lack of realism with those specific choices.)

Good point. It begs the question: what are the advantages of wielding two weapons, as opposed to wielding one hand having a free hand, wielding one weapon two-handed, or one weapon and a shield? I'd love to see a system that handles the differences with a light touch.

Remove ads