Do you like Warhammer FRP 4th edition?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I have run three or four adventures thus far. I'm still not sure about the game.

Unlike many others, I like the career system. For folks who run very long campaigns, like I used to for WFRP 1e and 2e, there is less of a ceiling for PCs.

I usually do not agree with CapnZapp, but the game does feel unnecessarily fiddly. Nowhere near third edition, which we did not like, but still, there is a lot to keep track of.

I have not given up on the system yet. I want to know it inside out before I run another session of it. I just have not been smooth GMing it yet.

Part of not embracing it yet is that my group is really enjoying D&D 5e. There is no push to jump into a new system right now.

I haven't dug though 1e/2e in a a while, but I know I'm going to use the Old World as it was in 1e, would that impact using 2e rules? I know they added in stuff about Wizard colleges and witch hunters going after hedge wizards but that fluff can be ignoredm anything else you think would cause issues? I guess are there any setting assumptions built into the classes I should worry about?

pogre

Legend
I haven't dug though 1e/2e in a a while, but I know I'm going to use the Old World as it was in 1e, would that impact using 2e rules? I know they added in stuff about Wizard colleges and witch hunters going after hedge wizards but that fluff can be ignoredm anything else you think would cause issues? I guess are there any setting assumptions built into the classes I should worry about?

Nope. That's exactly how I ran 2e for years.

TheSword

Legend

I would give some of the new lore that being produced a read. The anti-regional Wizard schtick hasn’t been a thing since 3rd edition. College affiliation is much looser now. The fact that the 4e stuff is being written by Graeme Davis can’t be underestimated. Cubicle 7 has brought back the gritty feel to adventures.

pogre

Legend
I really want to like the new WFRP. I have purchased everything that has come out.

I have that sinking feeling the game is not for me. It has not been intuitive or run smoothly for me. I'm a bright guy with bright players - we understand the rules. It is just that gameplay has been bumpy.

I want to run a prolonged campaign before rendering final judgment, but I would not be surprised if we fall back to the 2e rules eventually.

aramis erak

Legend
I've read it and bff, I really hate the new career system with levels and colors, the way of leveling up and the variable costs associated, the combat, the magic, resilience...and I found the art is a bad match for the old world. Talked with my friends and people I know who have the same hobby and we all share the same opinion, my group will continue using the 2nd edition.

What do you think about this edition?
Updated view.
It added a lot of needless complexity, reduced the flavor, but it's a closer match to WFB 8 setting than prior editions were.

I bought the core. I don't plan on buying anything more for it, because I can't see myself running it. And I don't have any compelling need to sell it, in case someone decides to motivate me to actually run it.

I'd rather run Zweihänder ... and I've no compelling urge to run it, either.

The big question here is which Bretonnia do you want to run. 1e Bretonnia is very different from the way it's been for over quarter of a century and people will probably not recognise it.

And anyone who thinks that e.g. the Amber Wizards are based in Altdorf more than on paper has a different understanding from that school than I do. The gold wizards and celestial wizards have good reason to centralize, and Altdorf is where they have their headquarters. The rest mostly pay lip service to having a headquarters in Altdorf because it has to be somewhere.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
The big question here is which Bretonnia do you want to run. 1e Bretonnia is very different from the way it's been for over quarter of a century and people will probably not recognise it.

And anyone who thinks that e.g. the Amber Wizards are based in Altdorf more than on paper has a different understanding from that school than I do. The gold wizards and celestial wizards have good reason to centralize, and Altdorf is where they have their headquarters. The rest mostly pay lip service to having a headquarters in Altdorf because it has to be somewhere.

That campaign idea is on hold, but after finding some more copies of the books I think I'm just going to run it, if we ever do, in 1e. Good thing is none of my players are even remotely into Games Workshop or the Warhammer world. Nobody plays wargames other than me so it would be fresh regardless with no assumptions.

CapnZapp

Legend
Once our campaign is over we're never gonna use 4E again. Far too many subsystems that just don't work. Far too much clutter makes it too complicated.

Basically, the only unqualified success is the XP system for purchasing advances. Everything else is on par with 2E or plain worse.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases