Do you like Warhammer FRP 4th edition?

GreyLord

Legend
Unfortunately the new edition comes across as a bad fan job of 2E.

Almost every conceivable option has been tweaked.

Individually graded, many of them are even quite nice. You can easily point to a page and claim they solved this or that problem with the previous editions.

However, when you put them together, the multitude of changes creates a huge mess. The game sinks under its own weight.

This game is incredibly convoluted and massively more crunchy than either 1E or 2E. Combat runs at a crawl with loads of die rolls.

That reviewers haven't caught this is probably because it takes time before the structural flaws become apparent.

This actually reflected a LOT of my thoughts when reading through it.

They needed to stick more with a 1e or 2e system instead of trying to take them and make them more complicated and crunchy then they were.

Thus far my best solution is to take a 4e rulebook and try to play it more like 1e than the 4e stuff they've done.

Retreater

Legend
My initial reaction (posted nearly a year ago) was that I didn't think I'd like it. I downloaded the Starter Set PDF in January and on my first readthrough, didn't like it either. I signed up for a game at Origins and found that it played a lot better than it read - especially with an experienced GM running things.
I bought the core rulebook and really delved into it with the experience of playing it fresh in my mind. Decided to give the Starter Set a playthrough a few months later. It still felt clunky, needlessly complex.
By this time I bought in to The Enemy Within (TEW) campaign - since I'd been hearing good things about it for decades. I ran the first session a week ago, and it still feels a little off. The writing is good, the setting is great, but I'm just not feeling the mechanics.
I will give it a few more sessions just because of TEW and the buy-in for the story. But man, I think running this in any other low magic, gritty fantasy system would be preferable.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
As much praise as TEW gets reading the later parts of it, its incredibly railroady and the core of Power behind the Throne is IMO a bit lame.
Suddenly the PC are going to switch to worrying about a tax issue? Really? "We can't find the bad guy we are looking for but man these taxes are grinding my gears! Lets go deal with this!"
I wonder how much the new version changes that, if at all?

macd21

Adventurer
As much praise as TEW gets reading the later parts of it, its incredibly railroady and the core of Power behind the Throne is IMO a bit lame.
Suddenly the PC are going to switch to worrying about a tax issue? Really? "We can't find the bad guy we are looking for but man these taxes are grinding my gears! Lets go deal with this!"
I wonder how much the new version changes that, if at all?

Well Something Rotten in Kislev is being completely replaced and the last book extensively rewritten I believe.

PencilBoy99

Explorer
I wonder how well WFRP setting would play with a lite system like Honor and Intrigue, Renaissance D100 or medium like Shadows of the Demon Lord

Remove ads