Official D&D Errata Updated (Nov 2018)

One thing I noticed is a weird discrepency in the Demilich errata.

It was changed from 80 (20d4) to 80 (32d4), which would make sense for the 2.5 average of a d4. The problem, however, is that the Demilich has this annoying sentence, that it seems they didn't axe: "Undead Nature. A demilich doesn’t require air, food, drink, or sleep. So great is a demilich’s will to survive that it always has the maximum number of hit points for its Hit Dice, instead of average hit points."

So either someone "corrected" a non-issue, or the Demilich is now supposed to have 128 hit points.

I think someone forgot the maximum hit point line, as it's a mechanic in the fluff text.

Really, the point of having averages is to give DMs a range and flexibility with numbers. So if they need a tougher monster, they can choose to roll or go with 75% rather than 50% without "cheating" and adding extra Hit Dice. But the demilich works against that.

I just hope the "undead nature" line also got removed...

flametitan

Explorer
I think someone forgot the maximum hit point line, as it's a mechanic in the fluff text.

Really, the point of having averages is to give DMs a range and flexibility with numbers. So if they need a tougher monster, they can choose to roll or go with 75% rather than 50% without "cheating" and adding extra Hit Dice. But the demilich works against that.

I just hope the "undead nature" line also got removed...

I'm looking at the D&D Beyond website.

They didn't axe that line, unless they did in the physical book but forgot to inform Curse...

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
A problem I see is the new change for Disintegrate contradicts the Sage Advice about a disintegrate and a wildshaped druid.
Funny, I see it as the exact opposite: The new wording comports with the Sage Advice ruling. Disintegrate no longer kills a Wild Shaped druid, because while the damage might reduce a druid to 0 HP, it doesn't leave them with 0 HP, because they are left with whatever their human-form HP is.

But since there's already a disagreement over the meaning, maybe they need to errata the errata. :heh:

Edit: As Blue pointed out later, I completely mis-remembered the Sage Advice ruling, which said that a Wild Shaped druid IS outright killed by Disintegrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Paladins can now smite with their 5th level spell slots!

No, the bit in question specifies that the bonus against Fiends et al is on top of the existing damage up to 6d8.

The full updated text from Beyond:

"Starting at 2nd level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal radiant damage to the target, in addition to the weapon’s damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each spell level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an undead or a fiend, to a maximum of 6d8."

Last edited by a moderator:

A problem I see is the new change for Disintegrate contradicts the Sage Advice about a disintegrate and a wildshaped druid.
Note sure it does, as pointed out by another, but it does go to show me that Sage Advice is not infallible and is not RAW, it's just advice.

I'm looking at the D&D Beyond website.

They didn't axe that line, unless they did in the physical book but forgot to inform Curse...
I doubt they go out of their way to inform their partners, they don't with FG. So I'd be surprised if DDB was updated yet. Give them a little time.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Note sure it does, as pointed out by another, but it does go to show me that Sage Advice is not infallible and is not RAW, it's just advice.

I doubt they go out of their way to inform their partners, they don't with FG. So I'd be surprised if DDB was updated yet. Give them a little time.

No, Beyond has the Errata included already.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases