"Players Roll the Dice Variant" - what is the standard

Omegaxicor

First Post
I have looked at this variant in Unearthed Arcana and I have never considered this until a new player pointed this out, What dice do the players roll and what ones does the DM roll for them?

(And I know every game varies and everyone has a different answer but I want reasons why, I am thinking if the DM rolls all the dice then the party wouldn't know HP or AC of monsters and that might be a good thing but the players would do very little and I would be...playing with myself :heh: for the whole adventure)

Aoric

First Post
While commenting on the latest playtest packet for D&D next. I offered an alternative rule for weapon and spell damage delivery. Instead of rolling damage based on the weapon used, each weapon is assigned a base and maximum damage range. Example: A hand axe base damage is 3 max damage is 6. Half the maximum rounded down is the formula. Weapons max damage can be exceeded by feats or bonuses due to ability scores. However, the damage dealt is determined by the attack rolls level of success. Example:Rex needs to roll a 15 on a d20 to hit a goblin chanter with his hand axe. Rex rolls a 17 and deals 5 points of damage to the goblin chanter. Now if Rex rolled a 19 one would think that the hand axe delivers 7 points of damage. This could not occur as the maximum damage range for a hand axe is 6. However, if Rex's character received a bonus to damage due to a high strength this could exceed the weapons maximum damage range. So if 6 points is the maximum and Rex gets a +2 to damage because of a strength or skill, or feat modifier. The total damage dealt would be 8 points of damage.

Now I was thinking of changing the critical threat rule to be based on how successful a characters attack roll is as opposed to just a weapons threat range. So currently a battle axes threat range is a 20 on a d20. However, with my alternate rule a weapons threat range is the minimum role required to cause a critical strike. Though the actual attack role would need to succeed by enough points for the weapon to deliver its maximum damage range. Obviously, a weapons threat range would have to be adjusted from its current formula. A quick and fast rule could be as follows small weapons threat range is 18, medium weapon threat range equals 16, and a large weapon equals threat range 14. In the case of a giant's weapon "aka" a two handed giants sword the threat range would be 10. Hence forth making massive weaponry more dangerous. No weapon or natural attack can have a threat range of less than 10. Example: Forseth the fire giant swings his massive two handed sword at Rex's barbarian. The fire giant needs a 13 to hit Rex's barbarian. An 18 is rolled on the fire giants attack die and delivers 16 points of weapon damage (plus 15 due to the giants modifiers, ouch!), still 2 points shy of the weapons maximum damage range. So even though the fire giant rolled the minimum for his weapons threat range, no critical result would occur because the attack did not deliver the weapons maximum damage range. However, if a 20 was rolled a critical hit would of been scored. Now, there would be a chart based on percentage of damage delivered. Obviously a dagger would never achieve the same level of critical success as a Great Sword. However, this is my idea for an Advanced rule system for D&D next. As IMHO, I feel Hasbro should release three rule sets for D&D next. One as a basic quick and fast rule set simply character creation and simply cut and paste approach to combat. Then based on feed back can create their professional rule set. This would expand on the basic rule set and allow for more options. The final rule set would be advanced and would allow for the most realistic and varied approach to the game.

Spells would have to be revamped to fit the simply logic structure of that needs to be defined. Hence, some spells would get a level bump or decline while other spells would have to be modified to fit the new structure. Zero level spells cannot have multiple functions and deal no more than 2 points of damage, or heal more than 2 points of damage. Bonuses to skills and saves cannot exceed 1 and maximum range for a zero level spell is 30 yards. First level spells start the boost maximum is 6 points of damage or healing and +2 or -2 to skills and saves. Maximum range for a 1st level spell is 100 yards. So a zero level spell may begin with a 10 yard range and be expanded up to 30 yards based on caster level. First level spells would begin with a 20 yard range and be expanded up to 100 yards per caster level. Second level spells would be able to deliver 12 points of damage or heal 12 points, provide a maximum bonus of +4 or -4 to ability scores or skill bonuses. The maximum range would be 200 yards, with begining range of 40 yards expandable to 200 yards based on the casters level. So a zero level spell base is zero meaning a save negates all damage or effects while success delivers 1 or 2 points of damage maximum on a failed save. First level spells base would be 2 with maximum of 6 points a successful save may negate a spells effect , though it would not negate all damage or result in no damage being healed. In this ways a spells power is easily determined making for easier spell creation rules and a spells effect is not just negated because a save was successful. Instead level of the spell and other factors would determine if their is a lesser effect or the major effect. Making spell casters more potent overall, as their spells will usually have negative or positive effects when they are cast.

I hope this helps.

Later

Aoric (Also known as Argon on the canonfire.com website)

Aoric

First Post
That's an awesome rule system, I love it...though it doesn't really answer my question so much as avoid the issue completely :p

In other words stop using the variant. Instead try my rule and see what your players think. It lessens the amount of dice rolling and moves the combat along much quicker. Besides it will let them know this was about moving along the combat instead of taking control away from the players.;)

Later

Aoric

Omegaxicor

First Post
ah, I got that much and I intend to do that next time we meet

what I was asking is that do some DMs let player's roll only a few of the dice so that the players don't consciously know whether they succeeded with a roll of 2 or failed with a roll of 20, or allow the players to roll all their dice and hope the players can separate what they know from what their characters know

Aoric

First Post
Omegaxicor,

It truly depends on your group and your players in general. The answer to your question is both yes and no. I've played in games where the Dm rolled all saves and the players rolled attack die and damage dice only. I played in games where pc only rolled for obvious saving throws. Like dodging a fireball or a strength check to see if they could maintain their grip or plummet to their death. I have also played in games where players felt like they where losing control if they could not roll dice for everything. Trust plays a big role in this. If your looking to introduce this approach let the players know that obvious saves that have an immediate effect they can roll for. However, surprise and non-obvious saves will be rolled at your discretion as the DM. If you get push back tell them you will try this for a few sessions. If after a few sessions they need to know stuff their characters would not notice then they can roll. However,if they fail to role play ignorance or decide to meta-game, then there will be an experience point penalty going forward. Its an option heck you don't even have to mention the penalty part just apply it when awarding experience points.

Later

Aoric

Omegaxicor

First Post
that sounds harsh, I certainly wouldn't just inflict an Xp penalty on a player without telling them but maybe that is just me, I was hoping to get more input before trying it but it sounds like there is no way to judge except by testing so I will

Warbringer

Explorer
i'v been using this as my default since 3e:

players roll all d20s; for AC, FRW saves, the roll against a target = 10+modifier of the creatures attack (instead of d20+mod). Intead i roll the damage and tell them how dangerous the attack is (reason for this they can roll muliple d20s by sacrificing other actions, such as minor and move).

puts the players always in the centre of the story

Aoric

First Post
Omegaxicor,

It was always understood in every game that I played in. Their is positive experience and negative. In most cases negative experience would only apply in cases were players refused to stop meta gaming or just decided to become a game distraction. IMHO that's the harsh part. Eventually, it was a non-factor because we all understood what would constitute negative experience. In the end we all enjoyed the game more. Like I said it all depends on your group and how out of control your gaming sessions get. Minor distractions minor consequences, major distractions, major consequences.

Later

Aoric

Omegaxicor

First Post
Aoric I misunderstood that part, I don't think it would work for my group but it is a good idea for some.

Warbringer I don't understand the house rule but rolling all of the d20s is kind of the problem, at least at the moment

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases