D&D 5E "even" dualclassing

CapnZapp

Legend
It's great that 5e multiclassing has enough restrictions that it isn't obviously overpowered and all.

However, there's one case that suffers from a RP perspective - the dualclass.

Since the mechanics make it advantageous to level up in "chunks", it can be quite a while before you actually realize your dualclass concept.

Alternating levels (Bard 1 --> Bard 1/Paladin 1 --> Bard 2/Paladin 1 --> Bard 2/Paladin 2 and so on) is the most fun and satisfying from a roleplaying and character concept perspective. But it's hell on your mechanical effectiveness - among other things, you won't gain any ASI/feat until level 7.

If you pick Paladin for its awesome Aura of Protection, for instance, you must either stay single-classed for a whole six levels (which means that by the time you actually pick your second class, your character is already well established, and claiming to be a dualclass rings hollow), or, if you do doubleclass, you might not get the Aura until the campaign is over(!) at tenth level or so.

Are you aware of any third party rule addition that tries to accommodate "dualclassing"?

I guess I'm looking for a system that puts a value on each class feature, so that when you alternate class levels, you still get a chance to pick the ones you most "need" as if you stayed a single-classed character.

For instance, as a Paladin 3/Ranger 3 you have six character levels. This list of class features looks like this:
1 Divine Sense, Lay On Hands, Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer
2 Fighting Style, Spellcasting, Divine Smite, Fighting Style, Spellcasting
3 Divine Health, Sacred Oath, Ranger Archetype, Primeval Awareness
4 Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement
5 Extra Attack, Extra Attack
6 Aura of Protection, Favored Enemy, Natural Explorer

I've picked out a selection (in bold) that at a quick glance looks "balanced" yet can be considered to provide the bare minimum of both a) mechanical effectiveness, and b) character concept completion

The big picks are the two subclasses at character level 3, since that feels like the absolute basics. Let's say the player picks Devotion which gives him Channel Divinity, and Hunter where he chooses Giant Killer. At this point, the dualclass is heavily in debt = this level is loaded down with much more power than normal.

Levels 4 and 6 are "normal" - sure the Aura is desirable, but we're not taking more than what a singleclassed character could gain here.

To compensate for the powerful third level, we say you don't get any of the cool level 2 stuff and we postpone the Extra Attack (til level 7). And for first level we take our pick of ribbon abilities.

---

Now, in order to not have to wing this each time, I'm looking for a document putting costs on these features. If you pick powerful choices at one level, you're in the deficit and can't pick powerful choices (or any choice at all) at another.

If you count up the points score of each single class, you get a total, and as the dualclassed character your custom "dualized" class can't exceed either of the single classed totals.

(It goes without saying the dualclass character must still meet the ability score requirements of the core MC rules)

Have you seen anything of this sort? Thanks :)

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'm trying (and have been for a while) to work out something resembling 4e's Hybrid system.
But I think it's going to end up needing a lot of DM judgement.

Especially considering spellcasters are BS, just having spellcasting tacked on at no cost.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm trying (and have been for a while) to work out something resembling 4e's Hybrid system.
But I think it's going to end up needing a lot of DM judgement.
Sure, but I'm hoping YOU (or somebody else) can be that DM :)

For instance, let me whip up a real quick (and probably bonkers) points evaluation of the first three levels of our "Palager" dualclass...

1 Divine Sense 1p, Lay On Hands 2p, Favored Enemy 2p, Natural Explorer 1p

2 Fighting Style 2p, Spellcasting 2p, Divine Smite 4p, Fighting Style 2p, Spellcasting 2p

3 Divine Health 1p , Sacred Oath 4p*, Ranger Archetype 4p*, Primeval Awareness 1p

*) mandatory picks

So, in our example above, we're at 2p at first level, still 2p at second level, and 10p at third level.

A single-classed Paladin would have 3p at first level, 11p at second level, and 16p at third level; while the Ranger ends up with 3p at first level, 7p at second level, and 12p at third level.

This tells us that we have, at the very least, not "cheated" by picking overpowered choices. We're 2 points short of the lowest-rated single class of our dualclass (Ranger in this example).

If this trend continues, we might be able to persuade our DM to be allowed to pick up Extra Attack at fifth level after all; or perhaps pick Favored Enemy at first level.

Etc.

Li Shenron

Legend
Now, in order to not have to wing this each time, I'm looking for a document putting costs on these features. If you pick powerful choices at one level, you're in the deficit and can't pick powerful choices (or any choice at all) at another.

If you count up the points score of each single class, you get a total, and as the dualclassed character your custom "dualized" class can't exceed either of the single classed totals.

(It goes without saying the dualclass character must still meet the ability score requirements of the core MC rules)

Have you seen anything of this sort? Thanks :)

Not in D&D, because D&D is a class-based game, not a feature-based game. What you are asking is a massive change that, if you really want to do it because you want to use it in a game (as opposed to doing it just for fun and theorycraft), it is better served by looking at non-class-based rules systems such as GURPS, which adequately fills most fantasy character concepts anyway.

But one low-cost solution could be to let a player 'skip' levels of a certain class, and pick a higher level, as long as it is not beyond the total character level, of course.

For example, a Paladin/Fighter character may start as Paladin 1, and when reaching second level gaining the benefits of the second level of Fighter (but not those of the first level), as long as it is applicable. The single-class level at which a feature is gained doesn't work exactly as a "cost" of that feature (because you can't save costs at lower levels in order to pick up higher level features before they would be available to the single class). Overall you get a better character than with standard multiclassing rules.

That said, the "RP perspective" doesn't suffer from mechanical limitations ever, exactly because it is in the RP domain and not the mechanical domain. It only suffers from a player's inability to distinguish RP from mechanics.

And still, 5e even offers a mechanical representation of a dual-class already at level one: selecting a background that corresponds to a different class.

Fanaelialae

Legend
There's this http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/171305

I used it to create a generic "build-your-own" class for my players to use, but I haven't run a game since I added it and therefore can't speak to any play experience. There were a few things that I tweaked because they seemed slightly off.

Edit: Link is to their mobile site so it only works from a phone (probably would also work on a tablet). Sorry, posting from my phone.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I have not, unfortunately. And I do not recall seeing anything like this over in the r/UnearthedArcana subreddit either. If something like this has been made, it does not seem to have made the rounds yet (meaning that it probably doesn't work very well.)

Sorry! :(

S

Sunseeker

If you got comparable features at the same level it might be easier, but some classes get buckets of "features" (monk) and some classes have long dead-zones between levels (druid).

Ganymede81

First Post
Work with your DM to replace your class archetype's abilities with equivalently powered abilities from another base class. You could also try doing the same by trading your class' ability score increases for other class features.

And still, 5e even offers a mechanical representation of a dual-class already at level one: selecting a background that corresponds to a different class.

Yeah, I worked with that by having a Tempest cleric of Kord take the Sage (wizard apprentice) background in order to make the concept work. It did the job.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Can you provide an author and title please? Your link didn't work for me (I was redirected to the DMs Guild home page).

Sorry about that. It's Classless 5e by DiBastet. I got it a while back as part of a bundle sale, though I don't believe the bundle is available anymore.

Remove ads