Dungeon Tiles Reincarnated

How very interesting - we bought a ton of those during 4E, but used them far less than I expected we would. So hard to separate and organize for quick grabbing. But man I loved the prettiness of 'em.

How very interesting - we bought a ton of those during 4E, but used them far less than I expected we would. So hard to separate and organize for quick grabbing. But man I loved the prettiness of 'em.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
I have to echo a few sentiments here, the tiles are gorgeous and when used really enhance an encounter, however they are impractical

RichGreen

Adventurer
Yep, same here - I have loads but they are tricky to use, particularly if you are trying to build an irregularly shaped area like a cavern.

I’m running the Sea of Moving Ice chapter of Rise of Tiamat at the moment and just about managed to create a small ice floe using the Icewind Dale tiles.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Staffan

Legend
I have a bunch of the 4e tiles (not that they're system-specific or anything) as well as some Paizo map tiles, and I really haven't used them much. As [MENTION=54629]pukunui[/MENTION] said, you really have to tailor the encounter to the tiles - it's usually not very easy to use the tiles to match dungeon maps from published adventures. For one thing, they're usually too small for most areas, and they're hard to do irregular shapes with. I was trying to figure out which ones to use for the Scarlet Stone Monastery in Princes of the Apocalypse, and after a while I just gave up. I wouldn't even consider using them for the actual elemental temples.

I have gotten some use out of the decorations and "effects" that came with some of the tile packages, so the investment wasn't all wasted though.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I like the option of these, along with terraclips stuff and various maps from older D&D, paizo, and mats by mars. Once I went with a tv and FG as we play face to face, I still use the various physical products just not as much. I'll still pick these up for the option but a PDF where I could make a map using the PDF tile pieces then snap a screenshot type thing to use with FG would be cool.

Von Ether

Legend
For me, there were two tricks:
The first was to use them as prefab parts of a vinyl map. Slap the tile down a generic hallway to speed up drawing time, then sketch out the weird shaped lake.

The other trick to using the tiles was too not get hung up on the actual rooms used. A 30 ft square room is a 30 ft square room.

I don't remember the company, but they printed out whole foot squares. The one one I had was a whole dock side neighborhood. It was great.

Remove ads

Remove ads