Dungeon Tiles Reincarnated

How very interesting - we bought a ton of those during 4E, but used them far less than I expected we would. So hard to separate and organize for quick grabbing. But man I loved the prettiness of 'em.

How very interesting - we bought a ton of those during 4E, but used them far less than I expected we would. So hard to separate and organize for quick grabbing. But man I loved the prettiness of 'em.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Huh, saw this at a convention today.

The vendor said they fold out 2 panels to a side. Wet/dry erase, and folds into standard 8.5x11 in size.
Forest on one side, standard indoors on other.

I can't confirm as it was still sealed.

That is actually a different product that looks similar when folded up.

I'm glad to see WoTC putting out more accessories for 5e, though I'm not certain I would use the tiles much in my game, I like that they'll be available. I'll probably buy them, as I have every other 5e WoTC release.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
IMO, what D&D needs is tons and tons of cheap, quick-to-use, paper "poster" maps in the one-inch-is-five-feet scale that include all the locations from all the adventures and a whole lot of generics like "road-through-woods" and "switchback-up-mountain".

There's a reason all of those 4E poster-maps go for so much money in the aftermarket (or at least they used to, I haven't looked lately) THEY ARE USEFUL.

If you can make 'em for a reasonable price (posters aren't too expensive and these don't have to be too big) you can just make a lot of them. It is my belief (and I'm a retailer) that I could sell lots of them.

Edit to Add: The product in this thread will sell okay, but I have a problem with the way they're packaging them. The Character Sheets and the fold-out-generic Cardboard Maps are both out... and they look nearly EXACTLY the same, with no pictures of what's actually in them on the back - just a little blurb. This product uses that grey ampersand picture AGAIN... so we'll have (five?) D&D products that all look alike. (At least put a picture on the back of what they ARE!)

Last edited by a moderator:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I have to imagine the reason that they don't make poster maps of the locations in their adventure paths is because they are letting the cartographers of said maps (Mike Schley in most cases) sell digital copies of all of them. Were WotC to sell printed copies of them it'd probably dry up most of Mike's sales.

Yeah, making us print our own copies of Mike's digital prints can be a pain (either having to go to a print shop to make full posters or to print them individually on 8.5x11s and cut/tape them together) but it's probably part of their agreement.

Also on a similar note... I'm sure part of the reason why they also don't print all the maps is because some of the maps are just way too big at a 1 inch per square scale. I mean, I ended up printing the Amber Temple maps for Curse of Strahd on my laser printer... and at a 2' x 2' printing of each floor only got the squares to slightly over a half-inch big. Had I tried for a full inch per square the maps would have been over 4' by 4' which is much bigger than your typical poster map they have sold in the past. With the number of maps in CoS (all the lands, all the buildings, all the floors of each building), it probably would have been prohibitively expensive to make posters of all of them to sell.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
While you have good points, theoretically they could pay Mike royalties, and I would assume you could set the size of the poster, and split a large location over a few of 'em. But you're right, there's probably a whole lot of reasons why they're not doing them that I haven't thought of.

Andrea Rocci

Explorer
The Essential 4e sets were 10 double sided sheets each. If these are indeed 16 sheets (x2 sides), it's considerably more and great value for the price. :)

I might well get the reincarnated City set, which I did not get for Essentials.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
D'oh!
It was the Adventure Grid, my bad. Carry on. :)

This is exactly what I was talking about regarding my disappointment in the packaging. If *we* can get them confused here, you can imagine what it's like to try to sell them at retail. Casual customers have no idea what any of this product is. Making it all look nearly exactly the same is counterproductive.

Don't get me wrong, I like the design in general, and I think there's a place for unity. But like I said before, they didn't even place a picture of what the product actually looks like on the back. Just a little descriptive blurb.

We'll wind up with 5 near identical products that say "character sheets" "adventure grid" "dungeon tiles" "wilderness tiles" and "city tiles" and not much else to tell them apart, or to let the new or casual purchaser know what they are or what they're for.

Remove ads

Remove ads