D&D 5E Dragon+: Q&A with Jeremy Crawford, 10/30/18

Eric V

Hero

It would be much more appreciated if Crawford spent his time on acknowledging and then solving actual gamer concerns...

That's not their goal, though.

I don't think the design team tries to make the best game based on their own talents/creativity/fresh ideas/etc. I think they are trying to make a popular game, and then make sure it doesn't dip in popularity. Those are pretty different goals, even if they sometimes overlap. It seems there would be a "popularity cost" to doing some things (Magic item pricing, for example), and issuing a brand new ranger officially seems to be one of them.

To be sure, the changes mentioned above are just that, changes; any talk of it being simple 'clarifications' is just doublespeak, IMO. They are probably what they thought they could do without risking any perception hit. Fortunately, people still have the UA Ranger.

To those saying that it took too long to errata the BM, I would point out that there is a spectrum, and choosing to be overly conservative isn't necessarily the worst side of that spectrum.

To those who remember the days of 3.5 - how many times did Polymorph and Wild Shape get errata? 5 times? Something like that. It was almost impossible to know what the most recent version of these abilities were as they were constantly changing the rules.

Now, I, like most here I'm sure, recognized issues with the BM the first time I read the rules. I kind of came to the conclusion that if I played one, I would not be using the beast to attack (I figured it still might be OK to be used as a mount for a small sized ranger or as an alternative ranged attack for a sword and board ranger). In the end, I think I played a Wolf mounted Halfling BM once. It was OK.

The only problem with the class that actually was a problem was players who maybe didn't realize this, then had their ranger sit on his hands while his wolf lamely tried to bite enemies. This problem is still not fixed, nor does it look like it will be. Yes, the creature will have its attacks bypass resistance, but it's still pretty lackluster attacks.

Still, this weakness is notorious enough that new players I think are largely warned by more experienced players to avoid that build.

In the end, I don't think this was ever an emergency, just a reality that some choices are worse than others, and this was one of the worst.

Now Monks...

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
So, was there anything in the video about any other things getting errata or when this errata will magically appear?

5ekyu

Hero
So, was there anything in the video about any other things getting errata or when this errata will magically appear?

they said a couple weeks into november
i have also heard 11-13 previously.
its supposed to be concurrent with the gift boxes which are 11-20 on amazon iirc.

EDIT the only other thing i have heard specifically was including the contagion three save explanation clearly in the spell.

They have already said that the errata will be out when the Core books gift set is released, as that will be the first printing with the latest changes. So in another week or two.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm using the Android app and the laugh is apparently listed as "thanks".

Fascinating! It's like you're surfing in some alternate universe where I'm extraordinarily helpful as I fish for Thanks.

. . . That sounds like a much better universe than the one I'm surfing through, where my contribution to this place is just a bunch of silly jokes.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
I think it’s big of Jeremy Crawford to admit they failed to meet their design goals for the BM, but I also think it's kind of a stretch to say these are corrections rather than revisions, especially when it has taken five years for them to “correct” their mistake.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases