Season 8 Changes (Adventurers League)

The article linked in the OP explains how to convert XP to ACP:
Converting Your Current Experience

To determine the number of Advancement Checkpoints your characters currently has, follow these simple steps.

Find the experience your character has in excess of that which is required for their current level by subtracting the experience needed to achieve your current level from your current total.
Find the experience you need to achieve your next level by subtracting the experience needed to achieve your current level from the experience needed to achieve your next level.
Determine how far into your level you are by dividing the result of step 1 by the result of step 2.
To determine the number of advancement checkpoints you now have, multiply the result of step 3 by the number of experience checkpoints needed to achieve your next level.
If the result of step for is not an integer, round the result down or up. (Your choice.)
If you wish to use the Slow Progression, divide your result by 2.

Example: Your character is currently level 6 with 17,000 xp and you are not using the Slow Progression option.

Your character has 3,000 xp more than the 14,000 xp needed to achieve level 6. (17,000 xp – 14,000 xp)
Level 7 requires 23,000 xp; 9,000 xp over the amount needed for level 6. (23,000 xp – 14,000 xp)
Your character is 33% of the way to level 7. (3,000 xp / 9,000 xp = 0.33)
In the new system, it takes 8 check points to gain 7th level. You currently have 2.64 check points (0.33 * 8).
You choose to round up. Your character has 3 checkpoints of the 8 that they need to make it to level 7.

Oofta

Legend
Thanks. Not that I've ever had a DM scrutinize my logs anyway, but I like to keep clean records. I assume I only need to convert my XP total.

The PG 8.0 doesn't really explain the advancement checkpoints, but the DMG 8.0 along with XGE explain (very oversimplified explanation=a checkpoint for each hour an adventure is designed to last).

But neither explain how to convert existing XP. Say that I'm level 4 with 5,100 XP. I assume that I would start with 16 advancement points (4 for each level).

Next, I would take my XP (5,100) and subtract the number of XP needed to reach level 4 (2,700), leaving me with 2,400 XP.

Then I determine how many XP I need to get to level 5: 6500 - 2700 = 3,800.

To my "unused" earned XP (2,400) is 71% of what I need to get from level 4 to 5 (3,800)

So, do I give myself 2 advancement points or 3?

Or am I expected to look up every adventure on my log and calculate the hours--because that would seriously suck.

Your choice. From the article "You choose to round up. Your character has 3 checkpoints of the 8 that they need to make it to level 7."

gyor

Legend
True, but it's not "new". It's a prequel. The canon it's working with and establishing more of is two editions old at this point, maybe even three?

It's a mix of current and prequel I believe, in other words while Drizzt and his father met again in the current times, there are flash backs to his father's time with Jarelax (sorry if I misspelled his name, it's been a long hard, day).

SubDude

Explorer
It’s for Adventurer’s League not D&D in general. Likely less than 5% of campaigns will use these rules.
There are tens of millions of D&D players and only two thousand game stores that run AL.

AL players could number quite a bit more than you think. The DM group on Facebook has nearly 14,000 members.

AL players could number quite a bit more than you think. The DM group on Facebook has nearly 14,000 members.
Could be. Let's see. 9 million players. If 1/5 of those is a DM that's 1.8 million DM's and 14k of 1.8m is 0.8% of DM's belong to the AL Facebook group.

Even if 1/10 are DMs, then that's 900k DM's and that would be 1.5%

So yea, [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] 's estimate of 5% seems reasonable.

Baumi

Adventurer
I love the new abstract points, this makes bookkeeping and calculations much easier.

But they really have to revise the Gold Rules or at least let you use Treasure Points more effectifly to buy Plate Armor*, come up for Material costs and scribe Scrolls.

* Plate Armor for me is the worst offender. Heavy Armor is just 1 AC higher than light or medium Armor and has many disadvantages (cannot sleep in it, takes forever to don, Stealth Disadvantage,..). But now you even need 10+ Level to afford a non-magical Version!

Remove ads