Season 8 Changes (Adventurers League)

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
Looks like there is an item which could be convertible to gold in each Tier.
Medium Armor 2 T1TCP (Tier 1 Treasure Checkpoint) = 375gp or 187.5 gold per TCP
Heavy Armor 3 T2TCP = 750gp or 250 gold per TCP
(Supreme Healing Potion 8 T3TCP = 2500gp or 312.5 gold per TCP)
Level 9 Scroll (Wish) 8 T4TCP = 12500gp or 1562.5 gold per TCP (or that up to 25000gp item you wanted)

Scrolls and Potions can be bought. Maybe they can be sold also.

Cascade

First Post
Looks like there is an item which could be convertible to gold in each Tier.
Medium Armor 2 T1TCP (Tier 1 Treasure Checkpoint) = 375gp or 187.5 gold per TCP
Heavy Armor 3 T2TCP = 750gp or 250 gold per TCP
(Supreme Healing Potion 8 T3TCP = 2500gp or 312.5 gold per TCP)
Level 9 Scroll (Wish) 8 T4TCP = 12500gp or 1562.5 gold per TCP (or that up to 25000gp item you wanted)

Scrolls and Potions can be bought. Maybe they can be sold also.

so ultimately, casters core ability to cast spells is to be compensated by magic item count reduction to accommodate these new rules.

That seems fair.

AriochQ

Adventurer
The biggest thing I wanted changed was the magic item trading rules. How was not seen as something that needed addressing?

What was wrong with the trading rules? 15 downtime days to trade an item unless you are at the same table and they must be of the same rarity. Any less would lead to massive exploits and anything more is probably unnecessary. Sure there is some wonkiness going on with certificates and unique items, but those are the result of online play (lack of certificate) and hardcover adventures (unique items).

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Also noticed they changed the rule that restricted Clerics from domains that their deity didn't have, now you can use any domain with any god as long as both are from a legal resource. So I could play a Trickery Cleric of Solinari (extra irony points, Solinari isn't even supposed to have clerics in the God's own setting of Dragonlance, the moon magic gods of Dragonlance are served by the 3 colours of wizards instead).

You’re just tricking folks into believing that you’re a cleric of Solinari? (cue snickering Hiddukel)

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
And the root cause was of course that gold was worthless - they removed the ability to buy magic items but kept the same gold gains as in previous editions (give or take).

The cheap nasty solution is to remove gold; the much better solution should have been to add an utility-based magic item economy.

The solution is to not rely on a 3e-style “the only equipment that matters is magic loot” system. Have a bard show up to the table with a full retinue of hirelings — like a band’s techs and roadies, set to announce to the dungeon that the goblins have a star in their midst and he won’t have copper pieces in his treasure trove — instead of wasting that money on one fancy ring that they can accidentally drop down the latrine by accident in the dark... ;)

gyor

Legend
Just looked at the ALDMG and saw that Acolyte only has a benifit if you worship a God with a large temple in the region. Acoltye is a complete trap option in Barovia, and only a trap option for the vast majority of Acoltyes in other regions as only 1 to 3 Gods are offered. Waterdeep is an interesting exception for some reason, any deity that is none Evil has a temple in Waterdeep that allows the Acolylte feature to work.

That means one of three things, either every single none evil FR deity has a Large Temple in Waterdeep, including Mulhorandi Gods, Monster Gods, human, and Demihuman Gods, or you get to found your own Temple, or the most likely, The Plinth has been rebuilt, which is a Temple to all the Gods.

CapnZapp

Legend
Gyor, there are no trap backgrounds.

None of them are significant enough to warrant that label.

Backgrounds are minor and even if you accidentally choose the very worst one for your character and campaign, you haven't lost much.

gyor

Legend
Say or wizard or someone with the ritual caster feat, and you want say both Illusinary Steed and Tiny hut spells. You could spend 8 treasure points and get them both, or you can spend 3 treasure points on heavy armour, sell it for 750 gold and buy each scroll for 300 gp, leaving the character with 150 gp to help pay for scribing the spells into your spell book. But many players won't realize that. This is a really bad system.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The XP change is excellent, and sorely needed.

The "treasure points" thing is an ugly attempt to paper-over the fact that neither the core system nor the AL adventures do an adequate job of balancing treasure for organized play. I'm glad they're trying to address the issue, but I feel like the pendulum has swung waaaayyy too far in the direction of abstraction. My hope is that in a season or two they'll figure out a hybrid system that is more straightforward and makes your adventures more meaningful.

Oofta

Legend
The XP change is excellent, and sorely needed.

The "treasure points" thing is an ugly attempt to paper-over the fact that neither the core system nor the AL adventures do an adequate job of balancing treasure for organized play. I'm glad they're trying to address the issue, but I feel like the pendulum has swung waaaayyy too far in the direction of abstraction. My hope is that in a season or two they'll figure out a hybrid system that is more straightforward and makes your adventures more meaningful.

I think there does need to be a better system for treasure distribution, just not sure this is it. Old version led to dramatically different rewards depending on what you played.

But the new version is goofy. Like the fact that it turns anyone who wants gold into armor merchants, or that treasure points earned in tier 1 can't be used to buy tier 2 items. Really?

Remove ads