Season 8 Changes (Adventurers League)

Mirtek

Hero
What's problematic about a Mithral Splintmail +1?

Per DMG it's effectively an uneccessary expensive plate armor without stealth penalty. So what? Doesn't reduce the the armor proficiency needed to use it and does not even reduce the weight (as if that ever were an issue).

Caliban

Rules Monkey
What's problematic about a Mithral Splintmail +1?

Per DMG it's effectively an uneccessary expensive plate armor without stealth penalty. So what? Doesn't reduce the the armor proficiency needed to use it and does not even reduce the weight (as if that ever were an issue).

My guess is that it's not an item you can find in the DMG - normally Mithral armor doesn't have a magical bonus.

The main use (I've seen) is for clerics with a low strength score, since Mithral armor eliminates the strength requirement. This allows an 8 str cleric to wear the equivalent of plate mail. (Not something I consider particularly problematic, but they might.)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
How does it work currently, before season 8?

You get whatever gold is listed in the adventure or hardcover. Tends to be rather variable, from 50 to 200 gp an adventure at low levels, up to several thousand gp an adventure in the higher levels, with certain encounters in the hardcover books giving tens of thousands of GP (usually as part of a dragon horde).

Oofta

Legend
Part of the problem was inconsistency. Some PCs ended up with legendary items at level 6, but were always broke, others didn't get much magic but had more gold than they could spend by level 4 so would do things like buy 50 healing potions.

Home campaigns can handle this kind of stuff, more of an issue for AL.

Cascade

First Post
You get a set amount of gold every time you level up, increasing every tier. You can still copy spells, but you'll have to budget for it carefully.

The gold values are simply unrealistic. (yes I know its a fantasy game).

Lets say I want to copy and learn Scrying. It would be 1000 gp for the scroll, 1000 gp for the material component and 250 gp to copy. That's more than I will have earned in my entire career through level 14th level assuming I spent no gold prior. Even being able to select it when leveling it puts it out of the Tier before you can use it.

You effectively might have 2 revivify castings available in all of Tier 2 play due to gold constraints.

There are other interesting twists; you can be a knowledge cleric and have to prepare identify but wont have the gold to cast it until level 3. Chromatic orb isn't usable at level 1. True Rez is effectively banned. Raise Dead is now almost 4 levels of gold at Tier 2. You couldn't cast Leomunds Secret Chest - a 4th level spell until level 17! Yeah, I know its just an example. Each greater restoration is almost your entire haul each level level at Tier 2.

Effectively, a wizard is now a sorcerer without the spell points.

Caliban

Rules Monkey

Lets say I want to copy and learn Scrying. It would be 1000 gp for the scroll, 1000 gp for the material component and 250 gp to copy. That's more than I will have earned in my entire career through level 14th level assuming I spent no gold prior. Even being able to select it when leveling it puts it out of the Tier before you can use it.

You effectively might have 2 revivify castings available in all of Tier 2 play due to gold constraints.

There are other interesting twists; you can be a knowledge cleric and have to prepare identify but wont have the gold to cast it until level 3. Chromatic orb isn't usable at level 1. True Rez is effectively banned. Raise Dead is now almost 4 levels of gold at Tier 2. You couldn't cast Leomunds Secret Chest - a 4th level spell until level 17! Yeah, I know its just an example. Each greater restoration is almost your entire haul each level level at Tier 2.

Don't complain to me, I had no part of this. Complain to the campaign admins.

Oofta

Legend

I don't have a problem with the theory, but I that's the thing that struck me as well. Gold is way too low. So much for buying healing potions if you don't have a cleric in the party. Or ever being able to afford armor unless you spend treasure points.

Unless I'm missing something, there won't be any coming back from the dead for many PCs, wizards are SOL, etc.

EDIT: You can be raised from the dead using treasure tokens and you can go into debt to get raised. Still confused by their example though..

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I could be remembering incorrectly (posting from work, don't have time to research), but I think there was mention of some mods possibly giving out bonus gold as well as unlocking magic items?

MiraMels

Explorer

True, but you can obtain spell scrolls with treasure points, and if you need to be raised from the dead, you can have that scroll cast on your behalf for free.

So while a raise dead is prohibitively expensive if you are paying for it with gold, it is only 4 treasure points at any level. And you don't have to have the points on hand either, you can get a resurrection on credit if you need it. Basically, there's no way to have a character permanently die under this new system.

I like that most things you'd want can be obtained for either gold or treasure points. (spellcasting services, scrolls, potions, armor) I'm looking forward to giving this new system a shot.

Remove ads