We saw a Star War! Last Jedi spoiler thread

OB1

Jedi Master
So I was one of the people who really didn't like TLJ when I saw it on opening night. After thinking about it for a while and then watching it again, I did almost a complete 180 with it. I think the film does have some really bad pacing issues and tends to tell instead of show in a few important instances that muddies the stakes and contradicts some of the themes Rian is working with. I'm still back and forth about whether it is too smart for its own good, but now that I've started peeling away its layers and seeing how well it fits in with the Saga as a whole, I'm more than willing to overlook its issues in favor of its strengths.

Quick aside, thanks to someone in the thread for reminding me that using hyperspace to take out opponents doesn't work is because it's ineffective if the opponent's shields are up. While I would have liked a simple line from the First Order to "Shields Up!" to make that explicit, it is ultimately unnecessary due to the established rules of the Universe.

Most importantly to me, what TLJ does so well is make clear the overall arc of the Saga and what the central conflict of it is. Luke almost understood, and may have at the end. It's not the Jedi that need to end, it's the Skywalkers. They are the imbalance in the force.

Both Snoke and Luke refer to the mighty Skywalker bloodline in the film. We know from TPM and RotS that Anakin, like a Greek Hero, is basically a demigod, with a mortal mother and an god (The Force) for a father. It's given the bloodline a tremendous amount of power, and that power corrupts. It corrupted Anakin, it almost corrupted Luke twice, and it has corrupted Kylo Ren. Kathleen Kennedy has stated that the Skywalker saga will come to an end with episode IX, and the clearest way to do that is to end the bloodline. TLJ prepares us for that by smartly getting rid of Snoke and leaving Kylo and Leia as the last Skywalkers. That's why it was important that Rey not be connected to the bloodline. The story of the Force in a Galaxy Far, Far Away will continue, but not of the Skywalkers.

Even on my first viewing, I was thrilled with Luke's arc and thought made complete sense for the character. Sure, the 12 year old boy in me wanted to see Luke thrash the First Order, using the force to knock over AT-ATs, but that isn't Luke. He learned in RotJ the futility of using the Force to violently impose your will, choosing to not succumb to the Dark Side and trust in the Force to bring about an end to the Emperor.

His failure with Kylo years later makes perfect sense as to why he would send himself into exile as Yoda and Ben did before him as well as the corrupting power of the Skywalker bloodline. Luke's ability to see so much of Kylo's future began to consume and corrupt him, and for a moment he forgot to keep his "Focus here and now where it belongs, to be mindful of the Living Force," as Qui-Non might have instructed him. Seeing things before they happen is central to what makes a Jedi a Jedi, and what makes powerful users powerful is the ability to see further than others. But it's a paradox, since if you see something bad happening, you naturally want to keep it from happening.

The old Jedi Order had similar issues. Rather than using the Force only for "Knowledge and Defense" they were using it to impose the will, not of the Force, but of people, through "aggressive negotiations". That was corrupting both them and the Republic, to the point that they could not see the Darkness rising within.

Which brings me to an important point about Rey. I think it's wrong to think of her as a powerful Force "user". It's the Force that is using her. That's why she doesn't need training. It's why Luke didn't need training to destroy the Death Star. He didn't take control of his Proton Torpedo and guide it into the exhaust port, he "let go" and trusted that the Force would do what was necessary to keep balance. The Force would not allow such a monstrous weapon to exist (see also the blind monk in Rogue One). The true path to the light is by allowing the Force to control your actions, not to make it obey your commands.

One final note. I'm glad they didn't change the events of the film due to Carrie Fisher's untimely passing. Rian Johnson said he considered it, but wanted to be able to give Carrie her full last performance. So how do they deal with her absence in IX?

I think it would be brilliant to start that film with Kylo's Star Destroyer chasing Leia on her blockade runner on some mission ten years or so after TLJ. Mirroring ANH, they capture Leia's ship and board it, wiping out Rebels as Kylo makes his way to the bridge, where they use a bit of stock footage to insert Leia. Kylo is obsessed with finding and destroying Rey, and demands Leia tell him where Rey and her Jedi in training are located (since he killed Snoke before he got that piece of info). His lightsaber is out and ignited. We hear Leia say (using a snip of her dialogue from ANH) "Dantoine, they're on Dantoine". Kylo goes to strike Leia down with his saber, but Leia disappears into the Force before the blow lands, her dress falling to the ground...

smbakeresq

Explorer
I particularly liked the final battle lead up scene where resistance officer steps out to see and leaves a red foot footprint and the soldier tests that it’s a plain of salt. The whole planet is crystalline, mostly salt it appears.

It could mean and probably does that the resistance is the salt of the earth, as a base is there and it is their final stand.

The red footprint also foreshadowed that beneath the salt of the earth was a red hellish landscape, that someone was about to enter their own personal hell. There are many examples throughout mythology of Hell being described as “rust colored fields of salt wherein nothing will grow.” Hindu myth has a specific plane in Hell with salt to punish those guilty of false pride. In addition there is another Hell in Hinduism:

“Lavana (salt): One who vilifies his guru, people superior to them or the Vedas go to this hell.”

Later Luke indicates the Kylo will see him forever indicating Kylo has entered his own personal hell wherein Luke will constantly “torture”him through the force.

I thought it a wonderful addition to the movie.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'm trying to see where I posted that Luke and the other were perfect? I'm just not very happy with the idea that the reward for the "victory" in E6 is that E7 starts exactly where E4 did for the most part. To you Luke was a bigger hero after his failure as a Jedi Master, can't say it feels that way to me. Same for Han, Leia, etc. I was hoping for new story that wasn't just going back over old ground and would have new conflicts, not a quasi reboot of E4 kind of setting the table back where it was for the most part. Was just hoping for something else. Better story, better transition from the old to the new, better new heroes, better foes, etc. Obviously YMV.

Last edited:

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm just not very happy with the idea that the reward for the "victory" in E6 is that E7 starts exactly where E4 did for the most part. To you Luke was a bigger hero after his failure as a Jedi Master, can't say it feels that way to me. Same for Han, Leia, etc. I was hoping for new story that wasn't just going back over old ground and would have new conflicts, not a quasi reboot of E4 kind of setting the table back where it was for the most part. Was just hoping for something else. Better story, better transition from the old to the new, better new heroes, better foes, etc. Obviously YMV.

I had some of the same thoughts, but as this is the Skywalker Saga, the focus continues to be on that. The big difference between where we are now and where we were in E4 is that for the first time, a Skywalker is now the big bad of the story, setting up the Saga to finish in E9 with the end of the Skywalker bloodline and balance being restored to the Force and for future stories to explore other things.

hopeless

Adventurer
A much better explanation regarding tlj.
I think I might be ready to go watch it, if only to be able to finally say my goodbyes to something I consider very important and only now am I willing to let go.
A merry Christmas to you all!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I had some of the same thoughts, but as this is the Skywalker Saga, the focus continues to be on that. The big difference between where we are now and where we were in E4 is that for the first time, a Skywalker is now the big bad of the story, setting up the Saga to finish in E9 with the end of the Skywalker bloodline and balance being restored to the Force and for future stories to explore other things.

I got you. Just not what I was looking for I guess.

I think all three of my main Sci-Fi franchises all veered off in directions I didn't like that much in the past couple years. With luck some new blood will take the place of the classics and give me something to watch. Hard times for this old Sci-fi fan. Thankfully I still have the Expanse.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Weird. I know you know how the quote button works. I assume you're addressing my post?

I'm trying to see where I posted that Luke and the other were perfect?
The same place I said that you did -- nowhere?

I'm just not very happy with the idea that the reward for the "victory" in E6 is that E7 starts exactly where E4 did for the most part.
E7 starts with the Republic in power and full of hope, with Luke having started a Jedi Academy before Ben Solo turned to the Dark side and destroyed it, with Han running scams. Okay, so that last one's the same, but the nothing else is in 'the same place' as E4. If I stretch, I assume you mean that the galaxy is in bad shape overall? I do put that down as a failure of storytelling, in that the state of the galaxy is often told but not shown (h/t [MENTION=6796241]OB1[/MENTION]) in the new movies, but nothing is further from the truth. The new series are about how evil returns, but there were many good years in between and the Republic remains.

To you Luke was a bigger hero after his failure as a Jedi Master, can't say it feels that way to me. Same for Han, Leia, etc. I was hoping for new story that wasn't just going back over old ground and would have new conflicts, not a quasi reboot of E4 kind of setting the table back where it was for the most part. Was just hoping for something else. Better story, better transition from the old to the new, better new heroes, better foes, etc. Obviously YMV.
So, is it that you didn't like the choices for crisis these characters were put in, and would have preferred an equally bad but different state, or that you would have preferred they not be put into crisis at all? Because the latter is a non-starter for a movie about heroes. To be true to the characters as built in the OT, they had to be put into crisis because that's what Star Wars is all about.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Weird. I know you know how the quote button works. I assume you're addressing my post?

The same place I said that you did -- nowhere?

E7 starts with the Republic in power and full of hope, with Luke having started a Jedi Academy before Ben Solo turned to the Dark side and destroyed it, with Han running scams. Okay, so that last one's the same, but the nothing else is in 'the same place' as E4. If I stretch, I assume you mean that the galaxy is in bad shape overall? I do put that down as a failure of storytelling, in that the state of the galaxy is often told but not shown (h/t [MENTION=6796241]OB1[/MENTION]) in the new movies, but nothing is further from the truth. The new series are about how evil returns, but there were many good years in between and the Republic remains.

So, is it that you didn't like the choices for crisis these characters were put in, and would have preferred an equally bad but different state, or that you would have preferred they not be put into crisis at all? Because the latter is a non-starter for a movie about heroes. To be true to the characters as built in the OT, they had to be put into crisis because that's what Star Wars is all about.

Yeah no crisis, that would be an amazing story off them standing round and looking at each other going "yeah we did it!". Exactly what I wanted. Or I just was hoping for a better written story with better characters that used the older flicks as a different launch point rather that grafting this onto the bones of EP4 with a new Empire, new Rebellion, new Death Star to destroy, etc. You can have all kinds of great conflict and not do that or have the old characters where they were in the new flicks. Obviously you like where its going and that's fine, I obviously didn't.

OB1

Jedi Master
I got you. Just not what I was looking for I guess.

I think all three of my main Sci-Fi franchises all veered off in directions I didn't like that much in the past couple years. With luck some new blood will take the place of the classics and give me something to watch. Hard times for this old Sci-fi fan. Thankfully I still have the Expanse.

I hear you, and after my first viewing of TLJ I felt much the same way. It was only after thinking about it a while and seeing it again that I realized RJ has really set things up for an epic and very satisfying end to the whole 9 film cycle with a coherent single story being told. I'm now very excited to see what RJ may do with his own trilogy outside the Skywalker storyline.

The Expanse is awesome! Just started the newest book.

Though I would call Star Wars a fantasy franchise, not a Sci-Fi one, I'm curious as to hat were your other two Sci-Fi franchises that have disappointed?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I hear you, and after my first viewing of TLJ I felt much the same way. It was only after thinking about it a while and seeing it again that I realized RJ has really set things up for an epic and very satisfying end to the whole 9 film cycle with a coherent single story being told. I'm now very excited to see what RJ may do with his own trilogy outside the Skywalker storyline.

The Expanse is awesome! Just started the newest book.

Though I would call Star Wars a fantasy franchise, not a Sci-Fi one, I'm curious as to hat were your other two Sci-Fi franchises that have disappointed?

Yeah SW is much more space fantasy with wizards, sword fights, and in the past Princesses to be saved. And my other two were Star Trek and Doctor Who. But that conversation is for a different thread. :)

Remove ads