Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Scotley

Hero
Phar takes aim at the angry Dire Bat and lest fly another arrow with hopes for a better shot given the bards inspiration.

[roll0] [roll1]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar takes aim at the angry Dire Bat and lest fly another arrow with hopes for a better shot given the bards inspiration.
The arrow flies true and impacts the dire bat directly in the chest. The arrow sinks deep and the bat goes down in a heap, nearly landing on Phar. The elf can tell the bat is done fighting, as is the other one. Both are still alive but their anger has turned to fear, as they try to flap their wings to escape.

OOC: Critical Hit.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Seeing the dire bats unwilling to fight on, the snake that is Caerth looks up to the others, clearly wanting to speak but unable to do so. Instead, the serpent slithers to where the dire rats are still struggling to get out of the web spell, and starts hissing threateningly.

OOC:
Attempting Wild Empathy, with Bully Animal racial substitution (add STR instead of CHA to Wild Empathy checks), to cower the rats and make sure they do not attack us anymore.
1d20 plus druid level plus Strength modifier
[roll0]

Edit: Hmm, assuming they are hostile or unfriendly, it did not have any effect. Bummer.
Edit 2: Also, I forgot my strength is lower in snake form, so it's actually 1 lower. Not that it makes any difference.

Temporary stats:
Str 17 (+3), Dex 17 (+3), Con 13 (+1), Int 12 (+1), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 11 (+0)
AC: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 natural)
Attack: Bite +8 (1d3+3), grapple +8, constrict
Special attacks: Constrict 1d3+4, Improved Grab
Skills: +4 on Hide, Listen, Spot; +8 on Balance, Climb, Swim; can always take 10 on Climb and Swim; can use either Dex or Str for Climb
Speed: 20ft, Climb 20ft, Swim 20ft
Special: Natural Spell (can cast spells while in Wild Shape)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Seeing the dire bats unwilling to fight on, the snake that is Caerth looks up to the others, clearly wanting to speak but unable to do so. Instead, the serpent slithers to where the dire rats are still struggling to get out of the web spell, and starts hissing threateningly.
While the two dire rats struggle in vain to escape the web spell the rodents are not cowed by Caerth's hissing. Instead, it makes the trapped rat struggle more and squeal in anger. The other rat bristles its back up and tries to move towards Caerth, but the web continues to hold the dire rat back.

"Do not hurt any more of my servants, druid!" A squeaky voice rings out from somewhere deep in the narrow corridor. "Or I shall set the rest of my colony against you and the others. Now go away!"

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Phar scrambles back a step in a rather undignified manner are he tries to avoid the falling bat. He's just getting sorted out when the squeaky voice renders him in stunned mobility for an instant. "Um, we really don't want to hurt anyone, but we have reason to believe that a key we are bound to secure has come this way. If you can help us acquire the key we might even be able to offer some assistance to your servants." Phar slips his bow back into the quiver to add emphasis to his words. Realizing he is not the best diplomat in the group he shoots an imploring glance at Lorien.

OOC: [roll0]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth hesitates and opens his jaws, belatedly realizing he cannot talk while in the shape of a snake. Cautiously the druid slithers a few feet back from the dire rats and coiling up, ready to strike should he need to defend himself.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Quinn looks at Phar like he is crazy when he puts the bow away, then with a hurt look he puts his own chain away.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar scrambles back a step in a rather undignified manner are he tries to avoid the falling bat. He's just getting sorted out when the squeaky voice renders him in stunned mobility for an instant. "Um, we really don't want to hurt anyone, but we have reason to believe that a key we are bound to secure has come this way. If you can help us acquire the key we might even be able to offer some assistance to your servants." Phar slips his bow back into the quiver to add emphasis to his words. Realizing he is not the best diplomat in the group he shoots an imploring glance at Lorien.
Lorien knows that look. He wishes he knew about who or what he was dealing with, but he has an idea that this individual's connection to the rats is more than just master and servant. "You are both cunning and wise to see the benefit in speaking to us," the bard quickly adds. "You can see that we are strong but that your subjects can harm us, if it is required."

"Indeed they can," the voice squeaks.

"And I believe it, for I experienced it firsthand, but as my friend has already told you, there is no need for more hostility. We do not mean your kin any harm, sir rat. You have the word of Lorien Mornyano." Lorien plays hunch, waiting for a reply.

Caerth hesitates and opens his jaws, belatedly realizing he cannot talk while in the shape of a snake. Cautiously the druid slithers a few feet back from the dire rats and coiling up, ready to strike should he need to defend himself.
Quinn looks at Phar like he is crazy when he puts the bow away, then with a hurt look he puts his own chain away.
"You know what I am," the voice growls.

"I suspected," Lorien replies. "You are one with these rat. A wererat, most likely."

"I am Hornauer, King of Rats. And you have invaded my home, elf."

"We did not mean to disturb you and your kin. We were following a vision of one of your kind with a key. The key of a human who died here."

"The dead man who hangs on the signal tower," Hornauer says.

"No longer," Lorien replies. He can tell the King of Rats in engaged, interested in the conversation. "We have come to take him back to his kin, as well as the key, which is vital to his... mate's well being."

"I see. You wish to rob me as well. The key is mine. I will not give it up for just anything."

"I would never assume that you would do so, but we are glad to discover that it was found by one who knew its value. What do you want for it?"

"Hmm, a trade then," the voice becomes clearer and the group looks up to see Hornauer clinging to the wall of the cavern in hybrid form. The wererat descends the wall cautiously and then suddenly jumps down the rest of the way landing in front of Lorien. "First, the elf wizard must free my rats and promise not to cast any more spells here."

"He will agree," Lorien nods to Phar. Once the web is dispersed, the dire rats scurry back down into their lair.

"Second, the druid must apologize to me for trying to scare my subjects," the wererat looks at Caerth. "In his true form."

"I'm sure I can convince him," Lorien says with a little less conviction.

"And I'd like some sort of trinket to replace the key," Hornauer insists. "A bag of gems, maybe, or a shiny magical item. Hmm, I like the look of that ring on your finger."

"I am sorry, but I cannot give up my family ring," Lorien replies. "But I do have this." The bard reaches into his handy haversack, which causes the wererat to flinch. A fine blade appears in his hand, as if out of nowhere.

"Do not try to trick me," Hornauer growls. He soon has the blade's edge under Lorien's nose.

"No trick," Lorien replies smoothly. "Just this," the bard holds up a bag and unties it. It is filled with fine jewelry. The wererat lowers his blade, his eyes transfixed on on the finery in the bag. "I normally wear these jewels when in the court of my king, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I gave them to you."

Before the wererat can answer, Cruel Justice speaks suddenly, "He has Kang! You must get it from him!"

The wererat backs up suddenly, once again alert. "Who said that? Where is this other companion of yours? How does he know of Kang?"

"Cruel Justice, your timing sucks," the bard thinks.

OOC: Rolled a 30 on Lorien's Diplomacy check (roll in the OOC thread). Hornauer went from hostile to indifferent.

Last edited:

Remove ads