Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth considers what to do. On the one hand, this selfstyled rat king is a perversion of nature, a lycanthrope twisting the rats' minds to suit his own nefarious purpose. On the other hand, the negatiations seemed to be successful and maybe this fight was not meant to be won through combat.

The snake seems to sigh; a strange effect. Then he slowly rises, head growing and snout shortening, torso splitting into chest and arms, tail turning into legs. Soon the half-orc druid stands before them in his familiar shape.

With an apologetic look to his allies, Caerth turns to Hornauer, nodding slightly.

"My apologies, Hornauer, to you and the rats that live with you. They are strong and healthy, and I hope they stay that way."

Not knowing what to do next - the custom of shaking hands is alien to the druid, and either way it would not fit the situation - Caerth stands awkwardly for a moment, awaiting the wererat's response.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar speaks to Aureus as well, hoping the Wererat will no understand. "The rat wants the jewels as well as your cloak or my ring for the key and the blade. The cloak is less valuable than the ring. I would gladly give up any share of treasure and reward to help you replace it if you want to give it. If you feel you cannot I will give up my ring." He shrugs, "We could try and take both by force, but time grows short and the outcome less certain. If we can complete our quest in moments and be away that would be worth much to us I think."
"I agree wholeheartedly," Lorien adds in Elven. "With the key and Lord Pendour's body, we have what we came for."

Quin's Chain remains put away and he does his best to not show impatience.
Lorien notes Quinn's discomfort and gives the big human a knowing nod before handing the jewels to Aureus and then stepping off to the side to let the negotiations finish.

Aureus removes her cloak and takes the bag of jewels. She looks at the rat and says, "I believe we have an agreement then."
"Almost," Hornauer looks at Caerth.

Caerth considers what to do. On the one hand, this selfstyled rat king is a perversion of nature, a lycanthrope twisting the rats' minds to suit his own nefarious purpose. On the other hand, the negatiations seemed to be successful and maybe this fight was not meant to be won through combat.

The snake seems to sigh; a strange effect. Then he slowly rises, head growing and snout shortening, torso splitting into chest and arms, tail turning into legs. Soon the half-orc druid stands before them in his familiar shape.

With an apologetic look to his allies, Caerth turns to Hornauer, nodding slightly.

"My apologies, Hornauer, to you and the rats that live with you. They are strong and healthy, and I hope they stay that way."

Not knowing what to do next - the custom of shaking hands is alien to the druid, and either way it would not fit the situation - Caerth stands awkwardly for a moment, awaiting the wererat's response.
"How nice! Yes, that will do," the wererat says to Caerth in Orc with glee while his tail twitches. He turns back to Aureus "We do, indeed, have a deal furry woman."

He unclasps Kang from his belt and pulls the key out from a hidden pocket. He gathers them in one hand and exchanges them for the jewels and cloak at the exact same time. He puts the cloak on and is please with how he looks. He then rummages through the bag and picks out the rinks and places them on his bony fingers. "Very shiny," he says in Common with glee.

He looks at the heroes and his expression turns serious. "Now I ask you to please leave, quickly and quietly," the wererat asks firmly (and repeats in Orc for Aureus). "The last thing I want is to be discovered by any of those crazed crow cultists."

"Cultists? Do you mean the rooks?" Lorien asks.

"No, not the rooks," the wererat replies confused. "Oh, you do not know about them. Damn! I shouldn't have said anything!" He grumbles to himself before continuing, "Hmm, if you wish to know more, elf singer, you could hand over that ring of yours."

"No, that's okay," Lorien replies. "We should be going. We have a key to return."

"Yes, yes, go," the wererat says waving his hands. "And quickly, before my servants decided they'd rather try eating you again." He tucks the bag of jewels under his ratty clothes and heads back towards his hidey-hole.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Phar quirks an eyebrow at the comment on cultists, but decides that the wererat has enough of their goods for one day. "I believe it is time to move on once more."

JustinCase

"Cultists?" Caerth mumbles, but does not press the issue. He would much rather they move on, and nods his agreement to Phar's comment. The half-orc turns to leave the room.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar quirks an eyebrow at the comment on cultists, but decides that the wererat has enough of their goods for one day. "I believe it is time to move on once more."
"Agreed," Lorien says.

"Cultists?" Caerth mumbles, but does not press the issue. He would much rather they move on, and nods his agreement to Phar's comment. The half-orc turns to leave the room.
Quinn backs out, not fully trusting the rat.
The wererat shifts to his rat form and disappears into the small corridor near the back of the cavern. The way back through to the stone bridge across the chasm is uneventful, although the group is on high alert for these 'cultists' that Hornauer referred to. Could he have been baiting the heroes? There is no time to wonder about that now. Crossing the cavern, there is a fluttering of bat wings from somewhere. Lorien tense and then says, "Gods, we have to get out of here."

No bats attack and group heads back through the door and into the old tower of Gurnard's Head. The group heads back up to the abandoned chapel where they left the dead body of Lord Pendour. It has not been disturbed and there is no more signs of rook-harpies in the tower. Taking up the body, the group heads back out the way they came. With Aureus' rope of climbing, it is a simple matter to make your way out the tower's crumbling window and down onto the island's cliff area. The path across the ledge to the doorway to the spiral stone stairway to the grotto below is clear. The sky is calm but overcast. There is a bit of mist in the air.

"This feels too easy," Lorien mumbles.

Moving together and watching for danger, the group heads for the doorway. Half the way across a caw calls out and weapons are drawn. But no attack comes. Looking around you see the culprit. A lone crow sits on a rocky outcropping. It caws again. Moving forward, the group heads down the stairs pass where the undead guardians had fired their crossbows at them and all the way down to the grotto.

A single scragling sits on the edge of the water eating its dead kin. It hisses at the heroes and dives back down into the grotto's clear waters and disappears from sight. The boat is moored where it was left and sits still on the clam waters. The only sound is the echo of the baby scrag diving into the water and the ripples hitting the boat.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Quinn looks nervously about as hes says, "This is indeed disturbingly easy, we should all be at the ready for anything." he pulls his spiked chain off its strap and continues to look about.

Thateous

Explorer
Aureus makes her way back from wence they came, all the while in deep conversation with Cruel Justice. "What do you remember of your previous wielder and how did you end up stuck in a rock? What do you know of Kang, or perhaps you'd like to tell me yourself?" directing the second question at Kang.

Sent from my SM-G955U using EN World mobile app

JustinCase

Caerth whistles, hoping that Screech the owl knows whether the area is truly clear, and secretly hoping that its presence will scare away the crow.

The black bird was just another animal, but under the circumstances the druid would rather have no crows around.

Scotley

Hero
Phar is unusually quiet as the make their way back to the boat. He shudders viably once as the pass the holes where the undead crossbowmen savaged them. He holds his bow ready and considers taking a shot at crow, but it hardly seems worth an arrow. "Speed is our ally now I think let us take the boat."

Remove ads