Judgement calls vs "railroading"

hawkeyefan

Legend
[MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION]

I agree that collaboration and competetive gaming don't meed to be at odds. I try to keep both elements in my game. But I do think that too much of one or the other can shift the game too much in one direction.

I feel like a game that's too player driven starts to become more like Microscope. Which I enjoy, but given a choice I'll play D&D every time. I feel that a GM is different than a player....fundamentally so, or else the role becomes purely that of referee.

So I suppose that given that fundamental difference, I embrace it. The GM has a different role than that of the players. I don't think that's a bad thing. A pitcher is going to have a different experience during a baseball game than a left fielder will have. But they are atill both playing baseball, and can both enjoy it. And I think the GM can still play to find out...it's just that what he is playing to find out is a bit different than the players.

The GM is there to challenge the players and to make the game interesting and to help make the story compelling. So I think that it makes sense for the GM to be the primary storyteller of the group.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
I know I keep repeating myself here, but I do not really view my play as particularly player driven or GM driven. I think agency is more complex than that and cannot meaningfully be described without talking about over what various players have agency. In the games I prefer to run most often I have primary agency over the fiction not attached to their characters, and they have agency over their characters and the parts of the fiction that help define their place within it, but these are not hard and fast rules. I have a measure of agency over their characters that their characters would not have complete control of including attached NPCs, emotions, social pressures and the like. In return they have agency to meaningfully affect parts of the setting it makes sense their characters would be able to in accordance with their fictional positioning meaning they can invoke emotional responses, know the stuff they should know, know the people they should know, see the stuff they should see, apply social pressure and invoke emotional responses in NPCs without anyone getting particularly precious about the things they advocate for. We are all responsible for keeping the fiction interesting and making sure it fits the themes of the game, but I have a special responsibility here.

The way I view it is that we are all players. I play with the other players, not against them. I just have a different set of expectations than the other players and have a different set of rules that apply to me which leave a bit more room for judgment calls. I take an active role in the play of the game, but under different constraints. I am no passive observer. The only reward structure I have is the social one so I have to get all my enjoyment there. My relationship to the characters I advocate for is meaningfully different. I have many characters. They have one. I guess what I am getting at is that it's a different sort of play, but I take an active role and am not socially privileged in any meaningful sense. I expect things out of them and they expect different things out of me.

Here are my responsibilities as I see them:
  • Convey the fictional world honestly in accordance with their fictional positioning.
  • Advocate for the fictional world with integrity.
  • Take efforts to ensure the fiction stays interesting.
  • Follow my rules. Make sure they follow theirs.

I do not view it as my responsibility to advocate for any particular story or outcome. I just strive to ensure we all have an interesting space to play in and the other players are challenged both creatively and gameplay wise. I mean I guess you could call the content generation part of my role storytelling, but I very much prefer not to. I already have enough on my plate, and knowing what is going to happen would play less interesting for me [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION] called this sort of play a dynamic narrative sandbox and I think it is a pretty apt description. Storytelling is just not something I am comfortable doing or want to do.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
when did you decide this yellow-clad skulker was a Vecna cultist?
I don't know. As in, I can't remember.

But I do want to reiterate that there is a significant difference between the thought that the skulker might be a Vecna cultist - which I think I probably had at the time of first mentioning him - and it being the case, in the shard fiction, that the skulker is a Vecna cultists. It is when the latter occurred that I don't know.

This difference - between ideas for what might become part of the fiction and the shared fiction per se - is what gives significance to Paul Czege's description of the following technique:

I frame the character into the middle of conflicts I think will push and pull in ways that are interesting to me and to the player. I keep NPC personalities somewhat unfixed in my mind, allowing me to retroactively justify their behaviors in support of this.​

"Unfixed" doesn't mean "no ideas". It means establishing the fiction as part of framing and resolution, not prior to it.

I think most RPGers recognise that, on the player side, there's a very big difference between having an idea, and establishing something in the shared fiction. Thus, when a player declares an attack by his/her PC, the player has something in mind for the fiction, along the lines of his/her PC has struck and killed the opponent. But that idea doesn't become part of the shared fiction until mediated via the appropriate procedures, which could be anything ranging from initiative rules and action economy, to system combat mechanics, to table practices about how action declarations are handled, to another player saying "No, don't attack - we want to talk to this NPC!" in which case the player might take back the action declaration and abandons the idea.

What I am trying to convey is that the same thing can be true on the GM side. So, to relate back to an example I mentioned upthread, just because I have notes that say that such-and-such might happen at the baron's funeral (or celebration) that doesn't mean that the shared fiction does, or will, include any such thing. As it happened there was no funeral (the PCs saved the baron from the catoblepas come to kill him) nor any celebration (instead the baron collapsed upon learning of his niece's death at the hands of the PCs).

Notice how very different this is from (say) the map and GM's key that Gygax and Moldvay talk about in their DMG/ch 8 respectively: in these cases, the key and map aren't a list of ideas about elements to be introduced into the fiction if appropriate in some future context; they actually establish the content of the fiction, and provide a basis on which to adjudicate action declarations by reference to fictional positioning that is secret from the players (and deliberately so - the whole point of those games includes the players learning the GM's secrets). Notice how different it is, also, from a standard event-based adventure path (I regard Dead Gods as a paradigm of this): the notes on the sequence of events are not presented as ideas about what might happen (eg they're not the same as, say, tactical advice that might be given to a GM about possibilities for handling a particular encounter). They're presented as things that will unfold in the shared fiction (it's something like a four-dimensionalist application of the Gygax/Moldvay dungeon-mapping idea).

your use of the term "secret backstory" tends to include the idea that it is being used to thwart the players, but for many of us that may not be the case. It's more a case of campaign or world information that the players do not know, which is something that every game has. So how that information is put to use by the GM is the thing in question, more than simply the existence of such information.

<snip>

I can understand your aversion to this....but I don't think I share the opinion that it is always bad.
Your use of the word "thwart" is itself tendentious, though. It's not a word I've used - I've talked about determining that an action declaration fails by reference to elements of the fiction (ie fictional positioning) that the player is not aware of, rather than via the action resolution mechanics. Nor have I used the word "bad". And that's deliberate. I don't think it's bad. Rather, it's not something I really care for in RPGing.

As I said above, though, you can't play classic dungeon crawling D&D without doing it. Eg a player declares "I search the southern wall for secret doors". If the GM's map indicates that there are no secret doors there, then that's that - whether or not the GM fakes a die roll, the answer is going to be "You don't find any secret doors". That's an instance of determining that an action declaration fails by reference to fictional positioning of which the player is unaware. Whether or not you would call that "thwarting the player" I will leave up to you, but it is an instance of application of GM's secret backstor. Hence it's not something I'm really into (and, as I posted upthread, it's not something I'm particularly good at either).

But contrast, say, the Cortex+ Hacker's Guide, which gives as an example of an asset in Fantasy gaming, "Hey, there’s a Secret Door Here!" (p 220), and gives as an example of a Scene Distinction (ie something the GM establishes at the start of the scene as a highly-salient and mechanically-exploitable aspect of the fictional situation) "Secret Doors" (p 52).

An actual play example that illustrates the same thing: when a player in my Cortex Fantasy/MHRP game wanted his ranger-ish PC to look for an ox in the barn of the giant steading, the procedure was not (i) roll a Perception-type check, then (ii) I check my notes for an account of what is in the barn. Rather, he made a check (opposed by the Doom Pool - all checks in MHRP are opposed) and, when it succeeded, established a Giant Ox asset. This is the same procedure the book contemplates being used to establish a Secret Door asset. (When he wanted wolves to help with a later action, though, he didn't need to establish a Wolves in the Great Hall asset, as I had already stipulated a Scene Distinction along those very lines.)

This also seems an appropriate context to respond to this:

I think as a player or DM I would have an issue caring enough to enjoy a game where the setting is ill-defined
The setting is not ill-defined. In fact, I would say that a setting which is generated via the methods I prefer tends to be quite rich. This is in part because it is more likely to contain content contributed by multiple authors (eg I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to narrate the giant ox; or - to allude back to another episode of play that I posted about upthread - an ancient battle between angels and demons in the Bright Desert); and it is in part, I think, because the connection between the setting and the dramatic trajectory of play is normally very transparent.

it's possible that the players don't have any desire for their characters other than to play the adventure presented to them
In that case, I would say that the idea of the GM being constrained by player concerns/interests as expressed by the build and play of their PCs has no work to do. Likewise in these circumstances it would make no sense for the GM to "go where the action is", as there is no action in the relevant sense.

even if they do throw in some basic motivations beyond the traditional ones...."I want to find my brother's killer" and stuff like that....the DM can easily incorporate these into the AP. "Turns out your brother was killed by the Wearers of Purple" or what have you.
That doesn't sound, though, like a GM being constrained, at every moment of framing and narration, by the concerns and interests of the player as expressed by build and play of the PC. It sounds like a nod to the PC backstory as a passing event in some other trajectory of play.

I think that the players can hook the GM in any game. It really boils down to the game in question, and how the group has decided to handle what goes into it, more so than the rules system being used.
I don't fully agree with this.

There are some systems (eg Classic Traveller, at least some versions of RuneQuest, Moldvay Basic) where PC generation is almost totally random, and so building a PC gives the player almost no chance to "hook" the GM. And in some games (eg Moldvay Basic again, Tunnels and Trolls, many 1st level AD&D PCs), PCs - especially at the start of a campaign - are so thin that they don't contain any hooks.

Although RM and RQ are both ultra-simulationist games, they have important differences, and it's not a coincidence that I fell in love with RM whereas - while I have long admired the austere beauty of RQ - I have never fallen in love with it. RM allows the player to make choices at PC build that send signals - eg choosing to give your PC skill in Cooking and Lie Detection, or in Etiquette and Seduction, tells me as GM something about what you want to do with your PC. RM also, in action resolution for melee and spell casting (not so much archery, which is a bit of a weakness0, allows choices to be made - roughly, trade offs of risk vs potential reward - which (again) allow a player to express an attitude towards the ingame situation and set stakes in a fashion; whereas in RM everything is just percentage skill checks without the same scope for player stake-setting.

It's not a coincidence that I discovered the way I like to run games in two D&D campaigns in 1987 or thereabouts: one using Oriental Adventures, where PC build - despite a strong random element - is able to send much richer signals than default AD&D (because of the way PCs end up embedded in a social environment), and where the game (via its encounter rules, its Honour rules, etc) provides much richer resources for framing situations that speak to those signals; and one involving an all-thief game, thieves being the standouts of the traditional AD&D classes for bringing built-in thematic heft and providing players (via their thief abilities) with a rich capacity to send signals in action declaration and mode of engaging the gameworld. (Only paladins, monks and druids are comparable, I think, but are (i) harder to build and (ii) perhaps more distorted by the demands of conformity to the baseline mechanics.)

pemerton

Legend
If I'm sitting at a dinner table and someone puts a piece of cake in front of me that turns out to be the best cake I've ever had, does it really matter in that moment of enjoyment where it came from or who made it? Of course it doesn't.
Suppose you learn that the cake was made by your partner. Or your child. For some people that does change the experience. It overlays it with a different significance.

That's why I have pictures on my office door that have little aesthetic value in themselves, but were drawn by my children.

The origin of things - particularly if that origin has some very intimate connection to oneself - is not always irrelevant to the experience of them. But it doesn't even have to be intimate: part of what I find so dramatic about the train-derailment scene in Lawrence of Arabia is that it was filmed by derailing a train[/io] (and they only had one go at it, and so had to get it right the first time). The same scene in CGI wouldn't have the same force.

(One of the great literary treatments of this sort of thing is Brave New World. The famous philosophical example is Nozick's "pleasure machine". They both raise the same issue: is the origin of pleasure really irrelevant to its significance as a human experience?)

authenticity (the way the term is used here) and transparency may be being sought largely due to lack of trust in one's DM (or, if DM, lack of trust in one's players and-or oneself)
This is flat-out wrong, and I'm actually becoming a little frustrated that it keeps recurring in this (and other) threads.

Sometimes I sit down and listen to a CD. Sometimes I sit down and get out my guitar and play a song. My reasons for doing the second aren't that I don't trust my CDs or my sound system. It's because I want something different.

Because I want to have the experience of discovering a story, a gameworld, a fiction, and because I want the dramatic and thematic potential to be there at every moment of play, and because I know the people I play with are up for this, therefore I run a game which is not driven by GM pre-authorship and pre-conception (of setting, of events, of alliances between characters, of choices that players will make for their PCs).

The only role that trust plays in the above is that it is present; not that it is absent.

As I've already posted in this thread (I think), the reason I was able to recruit players to my game, back in university days, is that they were looking for an alternative to GM-driven, follow-the-breadcrumbs-to-find-the-plot RPGing. Only one member of my group started RPGing in our group, and he took it for granted from the outset that, as a player, he would be contributing (via backstory, via action declarations and their resolution) to the creation of the fiction and (thereby) the story.

Trust has nothing to do with it. It's about aspirations for the experience of RPGing.

by implication you seem to be hinting that traditional games provide in-authentic experiences
As I said in my post upthread, and in response to which [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] replied "that is very much the sort of distinction I am trying to make", the contrast is between a "curated" experience and what might (by way of contrast) be called a "spontaneous" or "unprepared" experience - an experience unmediated by curation.

What are the benefits of curation? The experience is ordered. The curator structures it in such a way as to try to ensure that the experience will have a certain, intended, character. Perhaps something becomes available to an audience who wouldn't otherwise know how to find it, or how to make sense of it.

What does curation preclude? It precludes spontaneity. It puts a burden on a certain sort of discovery.

What is Duchamp doing with his "Fountain"? One thing he's doing is mocking curation, and the sorts of expectations it creates. Why were the early twentieth century avant-garde European artists so fascinated by African masks and other "tribal" artefacts? Because (rightly or wrongly) they saw in them a certain sort of authenticity, or unmediated character, that they felt was absent from the received traditions of European visual art.

The political and aesthetic questions raised by this desire for authenticity are challenging. The political ones, obviously, are off-limits for this board. The aesthetic ones aren't, but naturally they're going to be matters of contention.

But I don't think we can easily ignore them. Look at the OSR, and its rejection of the Dragonlance/AP-model of adventure design, and its self-described "DIY" ethos. Look at The Forge, and its animating mantra of designer-published games as an alternative to RPG publication as the business of selling "supplements" that are barely-disguised works of fiction. What are these but expressions of the desire for a certain sort of authenticity?

pemerton

Legend
I'm sorry but you are choosing to control the fun by agreeing to go along with the correct play procedures, principles, mechanics, etc of said game

<snip>

the purpose of said game is to create parameters that produce a very specific and narrow play range that in turn produces a specific experience. General fun is secondary
What is "general fun"?

I enjoy five hundred more than bridge, because it is lighter, has a degree of randomness, and you only need to count trumps and high cards in off-suits. I have friends who are more serious card players than me who enjoy bridge more than five hundred, because in bridge skill counts for more. Which one of these games is generating "general fun"?

I enjoy backgammon more than chess for much the same reasons I enjoy five hundred more than bridge. Again, I have friends (and family members) who prefer chess. And others who prefer go to either. I don't find the notion of "general fun" very helpful here.

Are you saying that you enjoy D&D more than (say) Burning Wheel because it is less demanding to play (somewhat like five hundred being less demanding than bridge) and hence better as an accompaniment to a non-focused social gathering? That would be plausible. But the notion of "general fun" still doesn't have any work to do.

This circles back to the whole experience vs. fun dichotomy I see with these games vs. a game like D&D that can be drifted towards certain experiences in the moment. A game like D&D allows me to tailor the goals, emotional resonance and maturity level for a game where only the grown-ups show up one week vs a game where younger children and adults are playing the following week.
The tailoring you describe can be done with MHRP. Or HeroQuest revised. Or PbtA. None of these has a built-in theme or level of seriousness.

As for drifting to certain experiences in the moment: the one thing the GM can't do (by definition, as it were) is choose to drift towards a player-driven experience! More generally, there are some experiences that aren't amenable to being chosen - they emerge only as by-products of other things.

I would never trade out my group or specific members of it because I wanted to play a specific game
I don't see how this in any way contradicts a claim that playing with the right people is important. It seems to be an instance of such a claim.

pemerton

Legend
As I posted in reply to [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] upthread, I am hoping to soon start playing a BW game.

Here are the Beliefs, Instincts, Traits (character traits are mostly colour; die traits are like D&D feats), Relationships, Affiliations and Reputation for my character, Thurgon. All but three Beliefs and three Instincts have been purchased as part of the process of PC building (and one of those three Beliefs has to be about my faith, due to being Faithful; normally a character has only three Beliefs, but being Sworn to the Order gives me a fourth):

[sblock]Beliefs
The Lord of Battle will lead me to glory
I am a Knight of the Iron Tower: by devotion and example I will lead the righteous to glorious victory
Harm and infamy will befall Auxol - my ancestral estate - no more!
Aramina will need my protection

Instincts
When entering battle, always speak a prayer to the Lord of Battle
If an innocent is threatened, interpose myself
When camping, always ensure that the campfire is burning

Character Traits
Disciplined
Fanatical Devotion

Die Traits
Faithful (May perform miracles of the faithful; this trait is lost if one Belief is not a statement of faith)
Tonsured (Initiate of the Order of the Iron Tower: may officiate its rituals; 1D Affiliation")
Sworn to the Order (4th Belief, dictated by membership of the Order of the Iron Tower)
Mark of Privilege (Gain a 1D affiliation with the nobility; suffer +1 Ob penalty to Inconspicuous or Falsehood test if masquerading as someone of lower station)
Hard (-1 hestitation due to pain)

Relationships
Xanthippe (Mother, on family estate)
Aramina (sorceress companion)

Affiliations
+1D, von Pfizer family
+1D, Order of the Iron Tower
+1D, nobility[/sblock]Another thing to note is this character has Cooking skill, and - when it comes to fighting - has Brawling, Cudgel and Mace skill. Also, I had to determine Thurgon's starting Faith by way of the following process:

[sblock]
When a character acquires the Faithful trait, s/he opens a Faith attribute with an exponent of 3. The character must then answer each of the following questions, based on his/her Beliefs and the situation at hand:

Whom do you trust most?
When in danger, whom do you consult for aid?
Ultimately, how can you best serve your allies?​

Each answer of “God” adds +1D to starting Faith

I answered The Lord of Battle, The Lord of Battle, and My strength, respectively: I think that is honest to the character, and particularly his Beliefs and Traits. And so starting Faith is 5.[/sblock]Here are the Beliefs, Instincts etc for Aramina, plus her spells (in PC-build terms, she is a "henchman"-type character that I have paid for; Thurgon is a 5 life path PC, and so when I pay for a companion character that character has 3 life paths, and so mechanically is a bit less powerful and a bit more narrowly-focused):

[sblock]Beliefs
I'm not going to finish my career with no spellbooks and an empty purse!
I don't need Thurgon's pity
If in doubt, burn it!

Instincts
Never catch the glance or gaze of a stranger
Always wear my cloak
Always Assess before casting a spell

Character Traits
Fiery Temper
Extremely Respectful of Her Betters

Die Traits
Gifted (may use Sorcery)

Relationships
Thurgon (knight companion)

Spells
Rain of Fire (streams of fire erupt from smoky red sky - somewhere between Fireball in damage potential and Meteor Swarm in AoE)
Sparkshower (fire leaps and sparks from targeted blaze - in damage potential, a bit like Burning Hands)
Call of Iron (grab a metal object)
Touch Not Sublime Flesh (a defensive spell)[/sblock]Thurgon's equpiment includes armour, weapons, a riding horse, clothes and shoes, but no other travelling gear (and so no cloak or hood). (I couldn't afford travelling gear after paying for the other stuff I needed.)

Aramina's equipment includes clothes, shoes, and travelling gear (rope, candles, matches, flint and steel, pocket knife, skillet, warm coat, rain cloak and hood, a thick leather belt, money purse).

What sorts of signals does that send to the GM?

Well, for one thing there should be camping. With a fire. Which Aramina might use to activate Sparkshower. With a skillet, in which Thurgon might be cooking and which Aramina might want to grab via Call of Iron and which might be used (by one or both) for brawling.

I'm expecting there to be travel: because a riding horse is for travelling, and camps come with travel. If there's travel there'll probably be rain, because Thurgon doesn't have a cloak, but is Disciplined and so isn't going to be stopped by a bit of rain.

I would expect there to be strangers. Whose gaze Aramina probably will not meet. Who might be innocent, and threatened! (Or who might be Medusae.)

And I expect there will be choices: do I (as Thurgon) protect Aramina, or the innocent strangers? Is Fanatical Devotion really consistent with leading the righteous to glorious victory? If victory is even possible, will it be by way of arms (which is what the character is good at)? Or by way of cooking (which is one of the character's weakest trained skills)? And if by way of arms, what if Thurgon dies? Who, then, will protect Aramina? Or free Auxol, Thurgon's ancestral estate, from harm and infamy?

I don't know how any of this will play out. I don't even know how much of the above will occur, because those are my thoughts about the sorts of things I would do as GM when looking at these two characters. The GM will have his own thoughts. But those thoughts will be working with the same material: that's where the action is.​

pemerton

Legend
A sequel to the post above: I've been reading the Dungeon World rulebook (I've played a bit of it, but never read the book closely). I really liked this bit (pp 49-54):

Making Dungeon World characters is quick and easy. You should all create your first characters together at the beginning of your first session. Character creation is, just like play, a kind of conversation—everyone should be there for it. . . .

[12 steps of PC creation]

13. Get Ready to Play
Take a little break: grab a drink, stretch your legs and let the GM brainstorm for a little bit about what they’ve learned about your characters. Once you’re all ready, grab your dice and your sheet and get ready to take on the dungeon.

Once you’re ready the GM will get things started as described in the First Session chapter.​

I love the idea that the GM "writes the scenario" while the players stretch their legs and get a drink! (That's how I started my BW campaign.)

The First Session chapter has a little bit more advice (pp 177, 180, 183):

The first session of a game of Dungeon World begins with character creation. Character creation is also world creation, the details on the character sheets and the questions that you ask establish what Dungeon World is like—who lives in it and what’s going on. . . .

For the players, the first session is just like every other. They just have to play their characters like real people and explore Dungeon World. You [the GM] have to do a little more in the first session. You establish the world and the threats the players will face. . . .

Think about fantastic worlds, strange magic, and foul beasts. Remember the games you played and the stories you told. Watch some movies, read some comics; get heroic fantasy into your brain.

What you bring to the first session, ideas-wise, is up to you. At the very least bring your head full of ideas. That’s the bare minimum.

If you like you can plan a little more. Maybe think of an evil plot and who’s behind it, or some monsters you’d like to use.

If you’ve got some spare time on your hands you can even draw some maps (but remember, from your principles: leave blanks) and imagine specific locations.

The one thing you absolutely can’t bring to the table is a planned storyline or plot. You don’t know the heroes or the world before you sit down to play so planning anything concrete is just going to frustrate you. It also conflicts with your agenda: play to find out what happens. . . .

The first adventure is really about discovering the direction that future sessions will take. Throughout the first adventure keep your eye out for unresolved threats; note dangerous things that are mentioned but not dealt with. These will be fuel for sessions to come.

Start the session with a group of player characters (maybe all of them) in a tense situation. Use anything that demands action: outside the entrance to a dungeon, ambushed in a fetid swamp, peeking through the crack in a door at the orc guards, or being sentenced before King Levus. Ask questions right away—“who is leading the ambush against you?”
or “what did you do to make King Levus so mad?” If the situation stems directly from the characters and your questions, all the better.

Here’s where the game starts. The players will start saying and doing things, which means they’ll start making moves. . . .

Once you’ve had some time to relax and think over the first session it’s time to prepare for the next session. Preparing for the second session takes a few minutes, maybe an hour if this is your first time. You’ll create fronts, maybe make some monsters or custom moves, and generally get an idea of what is going on in the world.​

This is very different from the advice in Moldvay Basic, Gygax's DMG, or any later D&D book I'm familiar with. It's not wildly different from the advice in the BW Adventue Burner. Those differences and resemblances are neither arbitrary nor coincidental.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
As I posted in reply to [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION] upthread, I am hoping to soon start playing a BW game.

Here are the Beliefs, Instincts, Traits (character traits are mostly colour; die traits are like D&D feats), Relationships, Affiliations and Reputation for my character, Thurgon. All but three Beliefs and three Instincts have been purchased as part of the process of PC building (and one of those three Beliefs has to be about my faith, due to being Faithful; normally a character has only three Beliefs, but being Sworn to the Order gives me a fourth):

[sblock]Beliefs
The Lord of Battle will lead me to glory
I am a Knight of the Iron Tower: by devotion and example I will lead the righteous to glorious victory
Harm and infamy will befall Auxol - my ancestral estate - no more!
Aramina will need my protection

Instincts
When entering battle, always speak a prayer to the Lord of Battle
If an innocent is threatened, interpose myself
When camping, always ensure that the campfire is burning

Character Traits
Disciplined
Fanatical Devotion

Die Traits
Faithful (May perform miracles of the faithful; this trait is lost if one Belief is not a statement of faith)
Tonsured (Initiate of the Order of the Iron Tower: may officiate its rituals; 1D Affiliation")
Sworn to the Order (4th Belief, dictated by membership of the Order of the Iron Tower)
Mark of Privilege (Gain a 1D affiliation with the nobility; suffer +1 Ob penalty to Inconspicuous or Falsehood test if masquerading as someone of lower station)
Hard (-1 hestitation due to pain)

Relationships
Xanthippe (Mother, on family estate)
Aramina (sorceress companion)

Affiliations
+1D, von Pfizer family
+1D, Order of the Iron Tower
+1D, nobility[/sblock]Another thing to note is this character has Cooking skill, and - when it comes to fighting - has Brawling, Cudgel and Mace skill. Also, I had to determine Thurgon's starting Faith by way of the following process:

[sblock]
When a character acquires the Faithful trait, s/he opens a Faith attribute with an exponent of 3. The character must then answer each of the following questions, based on his/her Beliefs and the situation at hand:

Whom do you trust most?
When in danger, whom do you consult for aid?
Ultimately, how can you best serve your allies?​

Each answer of “God” adds +1D to starting Faith

I answered The Lord of Battle, The Lord of Battle, and My strength, respectively: I think that is honest to the character, and particularly his Beliefs and Traits. And so starting Faith is 5.[/sblock]Here are the Beliefs, Instincts etc for Aramina, plus her spells (in PC-build terms, she is a "henchman"-type character that I have paid for; Thurgon is a 5 life path PC, and so when I pay for a companion character that character has 3 life paths, and so mechanically is a bit less powerful and a bit more narrowly-focused):

[sblock]Beliefs
I'm not going to finish my career with no spellbooks and an empty purse!
I don't need Thurgon's pity
If in doubt, burn it!

Instincts
Never catch the glance or gaze of a stranger
Always wear my cloak
Always Assess before casting a spell

Character Traits
Fiery Temper
Extremely Respectful of Her Betters

Die Traits
Gifted (may use Sorcery)

Relationships
Thurgon (knight companion)

Spells
Rain of Fire (streams of fire erupt from smoky red sky - somewhere between Fireball in damage potential and Meteor Swarm in AoE)
Sparkshower (fire leaps and sparks from targeted blaze - in damage potential, a bit like Burning Hands)
Call of Iron (grab a metal object)
Touch Not Sublime Flesh (a defensive spell)[/sblock]Thurgon's equpiment includes armour, weapons, a riding horse, clothes and shoes, but no other travelling gear (and so no cloak or hood). (I couldn't afford travelling gear after paying for the other stuff I needed.)

Aramina's equipment includes clothes, shoes, and travelling gear (rope, candles, matches, flint and steel, pocket knife, skillet, warm coat, rain cloak and hood, a thick leather belt, money purse).

What sorts of signals does that send to the GM?​
To me, it would send that Thurgon is a fairly standard Paladin or War Cleric type who has (somehow!) managed to find himself both a horse and a hench before starting his adventuring career; and that Aramina is just starting out on her way to becoming a somewhat typical blast mage but for now is making her way as (what amounts to) a squire; and that they have in-character reasons to work together when they can.

As DM that's pretty much all I need to know other than their basic stats, hit points, etc.

Well, for one thing there should be camping. With a fire. Which Aramina might use to activate Sparkshower. With a skillet, in which Thurgon might be cooking and which Aramina might want to grab via Call of Iron and which might be used (by one or both) for brawling.

I'm expecting there to be travel: because a riding horse is for travelling, and camps come with travel. If there's travel there'll probably be rain, because Thurgon doesn't have a cloak, but is Disciplined and so isn't going to be stopped by a bit of rain.

I would expect there to be strangers. Whose gaze Aramina probably will not meet. Who might be innocent, and threatened! (Or who might be Medusae.)
That all of these will happen is pretty much given; and that all of these will probably be largely hand-waved after the first instance or two is also a given...well, except for the Medusae; you might want to wait a while for that. :)

And I expect there will be choices: do I (as Thurgon) protect Aramina, or the innocent strangers? Is Fanatical Devotion really consistent with leading the righteous to glorious victory? If victory is even possible, will it be by way of arms (which is what the character is good at)? Or by way of cooking (which is one of the character's weakest trained skills)? And if by way of arms, what if Thurgon dies? Who, then, will protect Aramina? Or free Auxol, Thurgon's ancestral estate, from harm and infamy?
This is all great stuff, and I like it! But it has nothing to do with the DM at all. All of these are in-character issues which, with a truly neutral DM, would be up to the player to work out and role-play through as the game goes along.

The GM will have his own thoughts. But those thoughts will be working with the same material: that's where the action is.
The action is when you're travelling through the mountain pass on your party's first trip and a band of orcs attack; or when you're in town looking for something worthy and noble to do for your first adventure and someone sees your potential and looks to hire you for something risky; or when you've stopped off at a farmstead for the night and a bunch of goblins attack it - and these hold true no matter what or who is in the party and-or what their goals and aims might be; the DM is (or should be) working with the same material.

The game - and game world - is bigger than the characters collectively, never mind any individual one.

Lan-"is the SOP of any decent blast mage ever not 'if in doubt, burn it'?"-efan​

pemerton

Legend
That all of these will happen is pretty much given; and that all of these will probably be largely hand-waved after the first instance or two is also a given
There's been no camping in my current BW game; very little that I can recall in my main 4e game; and none to date in my Cortex Fantasy game, though I could see it happening in that game in the future.

As for hand-waving: given that this is what the PCs, at least currently, are built around I don't anticipate any hand-waving. For similar reasons that, in the OP, there was no hand-waving of the availability of a vessel.

pemerton said:
I expect there will be choices: do I (as Thurgon) protect Aramina, or the innocent strangers? Is Fanatical Devotion really consistent with leading the righteous to glorious victory? If victory is even possible, will it be by way of arms (which is what the character is good at)? Or by way of cooking (which is one of the character's weakest trained skills)? And if by way of arms, what if Thurgon dies? Who, then, will protect Aramina? Or free Auxol, Thurgon's ancestral estate, from harm and infamy?
This is all great stuff, and I like it! But it has nothing to do with the DM at all.
I think it depends a lot on the GM. Not every situation involves innocents; nor innocents under threat; nor innocents who can't be defended while also protecting Aramina. Nor does every situation establish pressure between Fanatical Devotion and glorious victory. If the situation, for instance, is an attack on the steading of innocent homesteaders by a group of orcs, its seems likely that Fanatical Devotion, glorious victory, and protecting everyone all push the same way.

Hence I'm not expecting this (which I hadn't read before typing the above!):

you've stopped off at a farmstead for the night and a bunch of goblins attack it

That doesn't seem to force any choices at all.

Remove ads