Judgement calls vs "railroading"

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
I think he's saying there needs to be some other motivation. The PC is a merchant, or loves silk, or just likes to bargain. Something that would turn that into something relevant to the PC.

But why?

Player: I'm going to see if I can find a merchant with Calishite silk?

DM: Why, what's your motivation?

Player: No reason, well, not one I'm willing to discuss right now.

DM: Well then you can't go shopping for Calishite silk. I have to know your motivation.

The scene will unfold entirely without me, the DM, knowing the PCs motivation. To some degree it's like improv theater. I need to know what motivates me, and interact with the other people. I don't need to know what motivates them, but they should.

I'm not saying I can't know, just that I don't have to.

hawkeyefan

Legend
But why?

DM: Well then you can't go shopping for Calishite silk. I have to know your motivation.

The scene will unfold entirely without me, the DM, knowing the PCs motivation. To some degree it's like improv theater. I need to know what motivates me, and interact with the other people. I don't need to know what motivates them, but they should.

My take on it is what's important about it. Does the character have some trait that such a scene would play into, or does the player have a compelling reason for such a scene to be important to the character.

Forget the specific example of buying silk....I think pemerton's point is that any scene or challenge should have some sort of relevance to the character's beliefs or drives. The GM needs to be aware of a character's motivations in order to give that character challenges and conflict that are relevant to him.

That's my take on it, anyway...I could be wrong.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
But why?

I agree that you don't have to know for the scene to play out. I was just commenting on what I believe [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] meant by his statement.

Ilbranteloth

Explorer
My take on it is what's important about it. Does the character have some trait that such a scene would play into, or does the player have a compelling reason for such a scene to be important to the character.

Forget the specific example of buying silk....I think pemerton's point is that any scene or challenge should have some sort of relevance to the character's beliefs or drives. The GM needs to be aware of a character's motivations in order to give that character challenges and conflict that are relevant to him.

That's my take on it, anyway...I could be wrong.

I think the specific example is a very good one. Why should I be creating a challenge and conflict in this situation (other than trying to get a better price if he decides to haggle, although it's possible he can't find any)?

And why does such conflict have to be relevant to them. Yes, there are story arcs that are relevant, but this doesn't necessarily have to be one of them. Coming across an angry owlbear protecting her cubs in the woods doesn't have to be relevant to them. It's just an encounter. One of the many, many things that happen in the world that have no relevant to them.

I don't agree that any scene should have relevance to the character's motivations. That's just not how the world works. Not to mention, the commonplace, the mundane aspects of life provide contrast to the things that aren't so mundane.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I think the specific example is a very good one. Why should I be creating a challenge and conflict in this situation (other than trying to get a better price if he decides to haggle, although it's possible he can't find any)?

And why does such conflict have to be relevant to them. Yes, there are story arcs that are relevant, but this doesn't necessarily have to be one of them. Coming across an angry owlbear protecting her cubs in the woods doesn't have to be relevant to them. It's just an encounter. One of the many, many things that happen in the world that have no relevant to them.

I don't agree that any scene should have relevance to the character's motivations. That's just not how the world works. Not to mention, the commonplace, the mundane aspects of life provide contrast to the things that aren't so mundane.

Sure, I kind of agree. I was just explaining my take on what pemerton meant.

I think he wants the game to go to places that are relevant. If something's not relevant, then why bother with it? I mean if we think of it from an authorial standpoint...unless there was some reason to show a character haggling about the price of silk with the merchant, then why show it? And I can understand that from a basic storytelling pointof view. But an RPG is different from wroting fiction, despite the similarities.

I could be way off and I'm sure pemerton will be the best source to confirm what he meant, though.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
The reason why I ask about character motivations is because I am interested in what they are. I like really do want to know this stuff. When I am not interested I do not ask. There are some other considerations as well.

• It might point to some other possible fictions to explore that could end up being a lot of fun. We find new ways to have fun.
  • It gets the player thinking about their character's internal world. This gets them to consider more meaningfully what their character wants.
  • Answering the question gets the player to commit to something about their character. We all learn something about who they are. This helps the player play their character with integrity because by putting it our there on the social layer we have made it real. There is now a powerful social expectation that they will be true to that.
  • It allows the player to put out there through their character's voice what interests them in the fiction. We can then be accommodating to that desire if we choose.

pemerton

Legend
I am saying I enjoy D&D more than BW because if I want to focus on beliefs I can in D&D through ideals, bonds, flaws and inspirtation... but I don't have to if I don't want to. I could instead focus on tactical and strategic combat, or focus on the fun of powergaming and so on. BW is focused on a specific type of fun, expressed through acting upon the beliefs of the characters the players have created (admittedly, I could be off about this, but it's the impression your posts have given me). If I don't want to focus on said beliefs... why would I run BW?

<snip>

it's about the mechanics of the game and what they bring about... as an example, If I remember correctly Heroquest has a mechanic that increases or decreases DC's based on dramatic appropriateness. But if I want to play a more tactical/simmulationist game this doesn't work for me. MHRP is lauded as a game that balances Jubilee and the Hulk and has little to any mechanical tactical play in combat... how do I drift that so the powergamers or the strategist/tacticians in my group have fun? These games are created to produce very specific gameplay.
I think that this sort of "flexibility" claim about D&D is overstated.

For instance, if I don't want movement-based and action economy-based tactics in my combat resolution, D&D won't deliver that for me. It's got no "simple contest" combat resolution mechanic (whereas HeroWars/Quest does, and BW actually has two such systems, as well as a full-blown tactical system).

If I want to run a game which will be driven by conflicts within a PC's commitments and inclinations, and also across the commitments and inclinations of PCs, the Ideals/Bonds/Flaws mechanics won't offer very much. BW handles both, and MHRP handles at least the second and to some extent (maybe quite an extent - I'm yet to find out) the first also.

If I want closed, scene-based non-combat resolution then the only edition of D&D that delivers that is 4e.

Etc.

And, from the other side, BW can be played beer and pretzels as well as theme and drama: see Burning THACO, and the discusssion of "microdungeoneering" in the Adventure Burner. Not to mention the OSR-inspired Torchbearer, which is a BW variant that delivers a Moldvay Basic-type experience.

HeroQuest revised can be used for high drama in Glorantha, or lowbrow superhero hijinks.

Etc, again.

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
just because I have notes that say that such-and-such might happen at the baron's funeral (or celebration) that doesn't mean that the shared fiction does, or will, include any such thing. As it happened there was no funeral (the PCs saved the baron from the catoblepas come to kill him) nor any celebration (instead the baron collapsed upon learning of his niece's death at the hands of the PCs).
Do you consider this some sense of illusionism, though? If I understand that term as it's been used in this thread, it mostly relates to the illusion of choice or of consequence of choice being used by the GM. Does this flexibility with the true origin of a story element....let's use the yellow skulker as the example....kind of fall into that same category?
Well, I don't think so. What's the illusion being perpetrated on the players?

It's not as if some fate or future for the skulker has already been settled, and - as GM - I am manipulating outcomes of action resolution, behind-the-scenes fiction, etc, to bring that about. Quite the opposite!

No, you have not used the word thwart....but every example you've provided has been one where the GM thwarts the PCs' ideas. The secret door example you just provided is the first benign example of this that I've seen you use.
Personally I can't see any difference: the player has an idea that there might be a secret door there, and the GM "thwarts" it.

That's not to say that there's not a difference that is salient to you. But I will have to leave it to you to articulate that. From my point of view, the examples don't differ in terms of some being bad thwartings and others benign narrations of the gameworld. I see the GM narrating the absence of a secret door (because the notes say there isn't one there), narrating the court or the baron rebuffing the PCs (because the notes record facts about an assassination, or a kidnapping, that is as-yet unknown to the PCs) or narrating the unavailability of silk (because the notes say the country it is imported from is in turmoil) as all on a par, as far as GMing techniques are concerned.

My point though is that this criteria that you described doesn't seem to actually bar the AP style traditional GM driven game, depending on the players' desires and expectations. So as such, it doesn't seem to be a criteria for a player driven game.
All I can really do is reiterate that a desire to play whatever it is the GM is offering up isn't an interest or concern of the sort I was referring to.

If I ask, "What film would you like to see?" and you answer "I don't care - whatever's showing", then I just don't think there's any interesting sense in which, in choosing a film for us to see, I have taken your desires into account in refining the selection. Rather, you didn't have any desires that needed to be taken into account.

The same thing is applying, mutatis mutandis, in this case.

Regardless of PC creation methods, or statistics, the player can say to the GM "I kind of want this character to be haunted by his past...he's done some things he's ashamed of, and is working toward some kind of redemption, but he's not sure that's even possible at this point."

That's an idea that a GM can take in so many directions. My current game has a PC with that very backstory involved. As a result, I created a mercenary company he had been a member of, and an entire group of supporting NPCs that he has a past with, and an NPC villain that usurped the mercenary company. I then figured out a way to tie this group into some of the other stories that have been established. All of this helps to constantly bring up elements of the group's past actions, and therefore the PC's past, in the current game. So he is constantly being reminded of his dark past and having to deal with that.

It's a major part of our game, and it was entirely inspired by the player having an idea for his PC. He had the initial idea, and then I came up with some details and shared them with him, and we kind of tweaked them till we were both satisfied, and then we incorporated it into the game. Now, I will admit that I did have some elements in mind that I kept from him....I want there to be elements of this story that still need to be discovered.
Suppose it was the player who decides what the shameful thing was, works up some details on the mercenary company, etc. And then you, as GM, are expected to make that a focus of the game. For me, using the terminology I've been using, that's probably something I would think of as a player-driven rather than a GM-driven game.

Conversely, suppose the player comes up with the idea of a shameful past, but leaves it for the GM to work out the details, and/or to choose whether and how to really incorporate it into the game: then I would think of it as a GM-driven rather than a player-driven game.

What you describe sounds somewhat intermediate between those two cases, and from what you've said I'm not going to attempt such an invidious task as classification on a think evidence base when I wasn't there! But I hope the two cases I've outlined give you some sense of what I think the salient differences are.

Another way to try and get at the same point: I find the idea of "side quests" vs the "main plot" quite inimical. I see the idea of "side quests" as the GM somehow incorporating or at least giving a substantive tip of the hat to a player's character-based motivations/desires; but in so far as they contrast with the "main plot", they are secondary, and so - if more than mere tips of the hat - still somewhere in that general territory. Whereas, if the GM is framing every situation having regard to these matters, then the "side quest" vs "main plot" distinction completely breaks down.

And yet another way: if, in the adventure, I could replace the Princess to be rescued with Blackrazor to be recovered, but all the rest of the scenario (the obstacles, the opponents, the fetch quests, etc) could remain unchanged, then it is not an example of what I'm talking about. Because even if the McGuffin (and in this case it really is a McGuffin) is sensitive to players' expressed concerns/interests/PC motivations, the nuts-and-bolts of the scenario are not.

I'm not saying your game does (or doesn't) exemplify any of these features. I don't know. They're just different ways to try to convey what I'm getting at, and what I see the salient contrasts to be.

pemerton

Legend
This post is something of a sequel to the one just above.

The PCs are in a town.

A player tells me I'm going to shop for some Calishite silks. An action.

I tell them they are able to find some, the price is 250 gp a bolt.

"Wow, that's really expensive, I'd like to haggle with him to see if I can get the price down." Another action.

Haggle away.

No motivation is revealed, just a series of actions. I didn't frame them into anything. They took action.
I think he's saying there needs to be some other motivation. The PC is a merchant, or loves silk, or just likes to bargain. Something that would turn that into something relevant to the PC.
But why?

Sure, I kind of agree. I was just explaining my take on what pemerton meant.

I think he wants the game to go to places that are relevant. If something's not relevant, then why bother with it? I mean if we think of it from an authorial standpoint...unless there was some reason to show a character haggling about the price of silk with the merchant, then why show it? And I can understand that from a basic storytelling pointof view. But an RPG is different from wroting fiction, despite the similarities.

I could be way off and I'm sure pemerton will be the best source to confirm what he meant, though.
[MENTION=6778044]Ilbranteloth[/MENTION], in the second of the quotes above, seems to have completely misconstrued the technique.

Why does the character want silk? Well, if the player won't tell the GM - as in, if the players are trying to establish fictional positioning ("I've got a bolt of silk!") that they see as giving them an advantage down the track that they don't want to betray to the GM - then we are already so far from playing in my preferred style that none of the stuff I've been talking about really has any bearing at all. This is something that I would associated with Gygaxian-style AD&D tuned to a high level of player/GM adversarialism.

But assuming that the GM understands, from the motivational/dramatic/thematic point of view, why silk matters, then that tells the GM how to handle the matter: say "yes"; frame a haggling check; open up the possibility of dealing with smugglers; etc.

The last time buying cloth came up in one of my games was when a PC was trying to delay an NPC's departure from the Keep on the Borderlands. Something - I think the efforts of the spirit-summoning PC - had led this NPC to slip over in the mud, ruining his fine robes. The elven princess offered to have new robes made for him - which would take time. Because there was something at stake in the availability of suitable cloth at a price she could afford, I called for a Resources check.

If the real issue was not the availability of cloth but the tailoring of it - eg suppose the PC was not trying to delay the NPC, but rather to trick him into wearing clothes sewn with some secret pattern of supernatural sigils - then it would have made sense to "say 'yes'" to the Resources check and instead focus on the Tailoring check.

The same thing applies to the owlbear. Given my preferences as a GM, why am I going to frame the PCs into a conflict with owlbears that doesn't serve any larger purpose, of speaking to the players' concerns/interests for their PCs? Maybe, in 4e at least, to establish some colour (4e really favours using combats to establish colour) - but even then I would want the colour to speak to those concerns/interests, even if it doesn't immediately put them under pressure.

If you read/watch fantasy stories - or at least the ones I know best, whcih are the Earthsea stories; Tolkien; REH's Conan; and then fantasy cinema like Excalibur, Star Wars, Hero, Crouching Tiger, Bride With White Hair, Ashes of Time, etc - there are not encounters just for the sake of it. Conflicts establish colour - including colour relevant to the protagonist - and/or allow something about the protagonist to be questioned and perhaps changed. (For some LotR paradigms consider the Mines of Moria, or the fight with Shelob.)

Self-evidently the real world doesn't work that way. It's not an authored fiction. But I'm not sure how that has any general relevance to RPGing. (I mean, if someone has a particular desire to have their RPGing resemble the real world, go for it; but that desire doesn't have any general significance.)

pemerton

Legend
your assertion that not telling the players that the king is dead immediately breaks the rules of the game implies that it is disallowing that content within the fiction as well.
I'm not sure what assertion of mine you're referring to.

I said that, as a narration of a failed Circles check, "Jabal says leave town now, or there will be consequences" would break the rules of the game. In particular, it breaks the principles that (i) the GM should go where the action is, and (ii) that - as part of this - the GM should narrate failure in such a way that new choices are forced upon the players. The narration you suggested doesn't go where any action is. It doesn't force any new choice. It leaves the players stranded, in terms of knowing what is at stake for their PCs and how they might reasonably proceed. It's a classic case of "find the plot".

As opposed to "Jabal says leave town now - you're cursed", which poses a clear question to the player: what's more important to you, keeping the cursed angel feather or making up with Jabal?

But anyway, there is any number of ways a dead king can be established as fiction. One example is by narrating it as a consequence of failure. Eg, the PCs, hearing rumour of an assassination threat against the king, rush to the palace. They fail their Speed (or whatever) checks. The GM narrates "When you arrive, it's too late - the king has been assassinated").

Or another sort of failure: the PCs come to court, looking for favours. Some sort of social-type check is made. The check fails. The GM narrates "You approach is rebuffed. Your contact is out of town, and no one else is interested in talking to you." That presents the players with choices for their PCs: track down the contact, or infiltrate the court some other way. And it leaves open the possibility - depending on future checks, framing, etc - that the reasons for the contact being out of town, and/or for no one else being interested in talking to the PCs, is that the king has just been assassinated.

The more general point is that the causal sequence of authorship does not need to track the ingame causal sequence of events. It is possible to author an effect now, although the cause of that effect may not yet have been authored. Eg I can narrate, as (one part of) a consequence of failure, that there is no mace in the ruined tower, without - at that point - establishing the fiction of how the mace left the tower. That bit of fiction was established later, when I had the wastrel elf turn up wielding the mace.

Remove ads