D&D 5E [IC] THE CURSE OF AMBERSTAR

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yttrian finds an out of way corner and deposits his crate. Turning around and taking a seat on it, he regards Portis with minimal expression.

"My homeland? Why are you thinking of moving there? I wouldn't recommend it. Not much left. People got taken up years ago, now everything's gone to seed, that which hasn't been poisoned by the curse anyways." He relents somewhat from badgering her, and his expression softens as he lets himself think back for a moment. "Anyways, it used to be very different. A kind of peaceful existence, the woods provided for those who knew where too look. But truth be told, it's been so long, I can scarcely remember it."

Archon Basileus

First Post
EVERYONE

Noticing that their rash provocations failed, the mercenaries return to their own side of the camp, treating things along with the dwarves. The only one that still dares to cross is Atir, leaving the rest to mutter hidden words as they glance across the field, still measuring the heroes.

Atir moves forward, delivering fast-paced explanations and casting aside the odd behavior of the mercenaries. “Don’t mind our traveling companions. They can get… competitive. They are here to protect us, as we know your entourage is not in need of protectors, having such names traveling along… Our reason to be here is simple: the guild understands that this is a matter of great importance to the Duke” – he continues – “…and so decided to extend its’ services in a way that facilitates your endeavors.” – the words come out in an articulate, almost immaculate, tone. He is friendly, but something tells that he calculates his every move when speaking. “We understand, though, that you might need help with occasional discoveries, such as Teraphim artifacts, or maybe even structures. Some of our artisans have plenty of experience with it, and we are willing to offer our expertise. In fact, Dvalin here…” – he motions towards the other dwarf – “…has served the Duke and Wallis for years now, trying to understand the nature of such artifacts, whenever the opportunity arose. If you wish – and only under your supervision, of course! – he might come with you… or we might stay here at the camp and help you with your potential discoveries. All that for a fee, of course. What do you say, friends?” – he smiles his nicest smile, not an easy feature under the tense circumstances.

LYLLIE/ICOSA

Eilúvit simply smiles and leaves Lyllie to her affairs, but as the gnome paces back towards Icosa, she feels the gaze of the elf, still resting on her.

As for Icosa, he still gets the faint presence of the message going on and on in his mind. Nonetheless, it is not as intrusive as to impede any kind of interaction, nor as distracting as to break focus.

YTTRIAN

Portis looks a bit disappointed with the answer, but Yttrian can’t tell the reason right away.

“It seems the city has turned upside down. That’s all I say.” – the slim servant shoulders the matter. “Take these types for example: my aunt used to say they were noble as they come, and now… They take what they can get. Word is that even the thieves’ guild has more dignity than these …” – Portis holds back the words, concerned about what might come out. “The guards are a whole different matter. The lady Kethra is an exception, people say. Most of them take bribes for salaries these days. This place is gone, and there should be something better out there… That’s all I say.”

HARFIK/KETHRA

As the sand fleas make their way back to their side of the camp, Prosper leans towards the monk, scratching his moustache. “I… Don’t like this, ‘ser’ monk. Them blue-capes are out for trouble. Can’t guarantee the safety of anyone here, should you leave. But you must leave soon. Don’t want to travel up above by night. That’s when thieves act. Thieves… And worse.” – he places the problem before Harfik, signaling for Kethra to approach.

AANZU

"This one wonders what the little bird seeks in return," the dragonborn says slowly. "And what she suggests he do."
She measures the draconian, as if studying his physical capabilities for a moment.

“Simple. I suggest an alliance, however brief it might be. Your friend knows the hidden ways of these terraces and ruins. Little does she know that I do too. Still, there are places that I can’t reach, and I might use a little help. Your help, obviously.”
Without waiting for an answer, she continues. It’s odd to see such articulation and delicateness on a commoner, Aanzu notices. Her attitude does not suggest someone inclined to wait, as well.

“Within the foggy region that you’ll see up above, there is a complex of caves. They are ruled by a tribal group, mortal enemies of the thieves that inhabit these mountains – as well as others. Deep within their lair, these creatures protect an old idol. Take your group, destroy it, and bring me proof. If you do so, I will tell you what you want to know.”
“And if you have trouble convincing them…” – she finishes – “… tell them they might uncover the secret paths to the Sanctum by doing this. I trust this might be enough to bring them around?”
[MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] [MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
For many moments, Aanzu does not reply; his face is unreadable like only a draconic head can be.

"This one destroys a stone, then the little bird sings of Ravenblade?" he asks to confirm her offer.

The dragonborn prince looks the woman over, not hiding the fact that he appreciates her shape and the mystery she poses. So much to be uncovered... Realizing she promises to help only after he has done his part, Aanzu continues, "This one needs proof of trust before agreement. And a name."

Archon Basileus

First Post
AANZU

"This one destroys a stone, then the little bird sings of Ravenblade?" he asks to confirm her offer.

The dragonborn prince looks the woman over, not hiding the fact that he appreciates her shape and the mystery she poses. So much to be uncovered... Realizing she promises to help only after he has done his part, Aanzu continues, "This one needs proof of trust before agreement. And a name."

The woman simply rummages inside her skins. Her hand leaps out all of a sudden, tossing a glimmering object to Aanzu. “Mordayne”. She smiles, turns back and disappears amidst the foliage.

In his hands, Aanzu holds a bracelet. Despite the damage it withstood through the passage of time, it still holds its’ original beauty, just like in the day he gave it to Ravenblade…

[MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] [MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION]

JustinCase

Aanzu stands there for a while, fingering the bracelet while his minds plays out the conversation with Mordayne over and over. Eventually he puts the object into his pack and starts walking back towards the camp.

From some distance away, Aanzu sees the newcomers and he instinctively reaches for his greatsword. Not drawing the weapon yet, the dragonborn slowly circles the camp until he sees his travelling companions.

Moving into camp, towards Harfik, Kethra and Prosper, Aanzu stays alert, in a crouch ready for a fight.

"Friend or foe?"

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

Both surprised and glad to see Aanzu back Harfik speaks softly to not draw attention and continues to prepare to continue on the journey.

"The Dwarves are scavengers, here to charge too much for things we likely won't need. The Blue cloaks are their dogs, nothing but trouble, thieves posing as mercenaries hired to protect the merchants."

Making a slight motion with his head towards Prosper. "Our friend doesn't think the Dwarves can keep their dogs on their chain, that there will be trouble as soon as we leave. The sand fleas are weak of mind and strong of back, I have not yet measured the others."

Harfik places his pack on the crate in front of him, appearing to inventory the contents and making sure that his spear is within arms reach.

Glancing at Prosper and Kethra Harfik says rather matter-of-factly. "If we kill the dogs they must be buried or they will attract animals. Would the Duke care?"

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yttrian nods at the girl's suggestion. "Perhaps there should be something better out there." He looks over at the mercenaries and merchants, noting Portis's concerns. "Perhaps it is the duty of good people to MAKE something better." He sighs to himself. "For now there is too much work to be done first. The others and I will be pushing on to the sanctuary. What do you think of these newcomers? Will you be safe here? Or are they a snake waiting for the opportunity to strike?"

JustinCase

Aanzu nods, relaxing somewhat but keeping his focus.

"Trouble has its gaze upon us. We must be ready for its arrival."

Looking at the companions he has sparred with very recently, the dragonborn feels confident that they can stand this threat if they stick together.

"Three serpents can defeat an army of dogs and fleas."

Aanzu makes sure not to leave Harfik's and Kethra's side.

Archon Basileus

First Post
HARFIK

"If we kill the dogs they must be buried or they will attract animals. Would the Duke care?"
Prosper looks at the heroes, studying Kethra’s visage the most. Clearly he does not approve the action, especially before a member of the guard.

“That’s not for me to say… But I believe that trouble with the Fairwalkers or the Merchants Guild wouldn’t be welcome. Not now, anyway… Of course, no one needs to know.” – he speaks lowly, looking towards Kethra as a fearful child would.

YTTRIAN

What do you think of these newcomers? Will you be safe here? Or are they a snake waiting for the opportunity to strike?"

Portis measures them, trying to be inconspicuous. “My opinion? The minute you turn your backs they’ll seize us and close the path. Or they might try to follow you. These guys aren’t here to fix horse shoes and daggers. They’re here for the gold… And it’s up there.” – she motions towards the mountains. “I guess I can manage...” – she mumbles, thankful and embarrassed. “I’m worried about Prosper. His sense of duty might get him killed.”

AANZU

As Aanzu arrives once more, the eyes of the sand fleas fall upon him. Their disdain is visible, and their knowledge of Aanzu’s identity, evident. They do not seem surprised, almost as if they expected to meet the prince here, as well as Kethra. The quartet seems suddenly alert, as if they were readying themselves for a battle, but they do not make the first move, instead waiting for their opponents’ decision.

EVERYONE

The dwarves sense trouble, stepping aside as naturally as possible, but it is in vain. After the display of hostility, everyone knows what’s at stake here. Atir and Dvalin seek out two horses, and at the pretense of taking care of them, prepare themselves to flee, if things get nasty. Prosper walks slowly towards his crossbow, ready to do his best to defend his associates. The other servants stand still, apprehensive and incapable of helping in a potential confrontation. Portis seems to wait for Yttrian’s command, in case any orders should be issued.

Suddenly, the group is met with its first grave decision: if the heroes leave now, the Fairwalkers might attack the servants, seizing the camp and creating even more havoc in the future. If they attack, this might create an opportunity for the Merchants guild, or the Fairwalkers, to accuse the Duke of aggression, since the heroes are his associates (a most welcoming outcome, since both merchants and Fairwalkers openly question the Duke’s ability to rule). Lastly, if they wait, they might be just postponing the inevitable and, even worse, they might invite third parties to intervene in this conflict.

[What to do, what to do…?]
@industrygothica @Charwoman Gene @hafrogman @JustinCase @Shayuri @Greenmtn

hafrogman

Adventurer
Yttrian sighs a little bit and nods at Portis's words. "Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. Nothing's ever simple is it? Of course, they don't just want gold hidden in those hills, they could have gone in themselves anytime if that were the case. No, they want us to risk our necks going in, and probably look for easier prey on the way out." Considering the mounting tension following Aanzu's return, he hauls himself to his feet. Keeping his weapon strung behind him for now, he turns back to the servant girl. "Keep out of the way for now, eh?"

Then he strides off to intercept Prosper, placing a warning hand on the servant's crossbow. Leaning in close, Yttrian whispers "You've got a lot of people looking to you. If trouble starts, they might follow your lead and get themselves into situations they aren't ready for. You focus on getting them to safety, and we'll focus on the externalities." Not waiting for a response, he continues his stride across the camp, joining the clump of companions accumulating in one spot. "So... we're figuring they hold the path and ambush us on the way out?"

Remove ads