Have You played In An Official D&D Adventurer's League Event?

Never have. The WotC locator tool is useless - it shows over a dozen stores in my area that participate in Adventurer's League, but most of them actually don't. When I call to check, half of them haven't heard of it before, and the other half said they used to, but stopped a year ago or more. There is one store in the next town over that has an active running game, but it's a 45 minute drive...

Never have. The WotC locator tool is useless - it shows over a dozen stores in my area that participate in Adventurer's League, but most of them actually don't. When I call to check, half of them haven't heard of it before, and the other half said they used to, but stopped a year ago or more. There is one store in the next town over that has an active running game, but it's a 45 minute drive away, and happens right in the middle of my workday. My normal gaming group once tried to run a home AL game, but we found the restrictions too restricting for no benefit.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I've never even seen an event at any FLGS I frequented , ah actually it vaguely possible there was an adventurers league game at my FLGS , not sure. Apparently it was a thing for about a month or three before it went away.

You can also play it online, Roll20.net is a popular venue for it. I've used it several times.

thzero

First Post
Adventurers League is the same grab bag you get at cons. You have a 50-50 chance to land a bum GM or a problem player who makes the experience poor if not utterly miserable. Of course, you can get lucky and get a really great GM or inspired role-players. Weirdly, in my experience, it is kinda either-or. I haven't had a lot of average gaming experience at AL or in cons. Either the table sucks or it rocks. Not sure why that is. The weekly games are nice, particularly for folks who don't have a private gaming group, because you are dealing with the same folks (for the most part) every week. If you have a good table, you are set for the season. If not, you can drop out or try another venue or see if you can switch tables (the store coordinators are usually pretty accommodating if someone is not enjoying themselves).

Yes, that is the same and has been the same over the years of organized play. As other people said, often it is a good way to meet gamers you may not have gotten to meet - that sometimes leads to private games, or long running campaigns, etc. spawning off from there.

I've met some players that have caused problems, but not that they've made the experience utterly miserable. Its a social game, you don't know who you will run into, so you kinda gotta be willing to roll with the punches with other players. DM/GMs on the other hand, yes that can definitely put a downspin on 4/5 hours of time.

Aside from the varying quality, the other thing which makes it less than ideal is that there can't really be a focus on continuity or character-building and it leans towards the combat-centric side of play. To really develop a character and a world, you need a steady group in home play. The AL setup, with players able to use their characters in any event that fits their tier and drop in and out of multi-session campaigns forces a lot of suspension of disbelief.

Let's see... is it ideal not to have that? Sure, but if a particular gamer(s) don't have a venue for that, is it really less than ideal? As I mentioned before, sometimes people click and side games break out or groups form. However, one person's "ideal" game doesn't have to equate to another... because some folks may like the way organized play works, doesn't mean it is any less ideal except perhaps for you.

Personally, I only got involved in AL in the last couple years. My one-off experiences have been 50-50, as I've said above. I've been running Storm King's Thunder in-store since the end of August and my players are pretty great. We've had an awesome time.

[/QUOTE]AL, if anywhere, should use the rules-as-written.[/QUOTE]

Coming from the Pathfinder side of org. play... sometimes rules-as-written aren't all they are cracked up to be. :)

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Also, silly things like the AL-wide house rule removing flying abilities from lower level characters is ridiculous. AL, if anywhere, should use the rules-as-written.

It doesn't remove flight ability, so much as it does not allow you use the variant race options that give flight. If you can fly via other means, you are good to go. Such as the level 1-4 mod that gives out Winged Boots. :)

Mageman

Explorer
I played my first Adventure League game at the Fantasy Grounds Online convention. It was tons of fun. Super easy way to play online I loved fantasy grounds too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thateous

Explorer
Played with a group for 4e lfr. None of use had the desire or aptitude to DM so we rotated DM'ing the modules. I got to take some of my character's to gen con and was just happy to be playing.

Sent from my SM-G935P using EN World mobile app

Stephen Rubino

First Post
Good if you don't have anything else. Solid structure and somewhat consistent. Kind of lowest common denominator D&D though, lends itself to power gaming and murdhobos.

Pros: Its a good place to meet up and see who the decent players are though. Also good for getting out there and being social while playing some D&D. Makes it so the player has ownership of the character, not the DM which is a great thing. Interchangeable parts and such, like the industrual revolution, in a good way.

Cons: Limits DM creativity severely and doesn't play nice with new ideas. There is no craftsmanship for the individual DM, you just take the plug and play modules and run them and if you step out of line some AL rules lawyer reports you. Kind of like the industrial revolution, in a bad way.

Remove ads

Remove ads