What Game Did You Leave D&D For?

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
In theory I love HM5e initiative count system. But in play you need good players to make it flow. I didn't have that. :(

I have my players role initiative at the beginning of each session.
Drastically changes the flow of the game...keeps players within the combat...they also have to speak in initiative order outside of combat so we have cut down on random conversation as well as all players talking at the same time.

I

Immortal Sun

MMOs. The hate for 4E was so strong (and I liked it, and therefore got hated on) I dropped the game entirely. I only got back into it when 5E came out.

Retreater

Legend
I really don't want to derail the thread - or start an edition war - but I'm seeing a lot of people mentioning dislike for 4e. As I'm just starting to get back into it (and I would say I'm creating one of my richest campaign settings), I think I might make a post in the past editions forum to discuss it with people who might be curious. Once I get it going, I'll post a link here.

DM Howard

Explorer
In theory I love HM5e initiative count system. But in play you need good players to make it flow. I didn't have that. :(

Not to derail the thread too much, but I can see where you are coming from. I feel like you can offer to run system X, but if the players are just along for the ride or they really just want to play 5E then it makes learning/playing a new system ten times harder than it needs to be.

practicalm

Explorer
I prefer to play GURPS or HERO, but I will play any system that looks interesting.
This is one reason I like conventions because I can try out a lot of other systems.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I still play 5e - it's a good game and has such a wide player base. But my favorite current 5-like game is 13th Age. Similar in concept, a bit more narrative, and just some revolution instead of just the evolution of 5e. Well, 5e had some revolution like adv/dis.

There are a bunch of games I want to play so I'd "ditch" 5e in the sense having a group and not playing, but most of them are very different feel and/or genre. Playing N.E.W. or Fate or Gumshoe or AW isn't replacing D&D as long as I'd come back.

I'll play 5e but I no longer have interest in running it. When I run it I feel drained and I'm not excited about it. The fact that characters get more powerful as the game goes gets tiring, always having to find more challenging encounters and other things for them to do.

For me I'm now running Call of Cthulhu. After a session I'm excited and have a high and I eagerly look forward to the next session. CoC is now my main game to run.

Other games I plan on running in the future is Fear Itself and The One Ring.

Remove ads