Laptops at the table..and recent research showing how bad it is in education..does it carry over to gaming?

Zhaleskra

Adventurer
Here's hoping that you make that expectation clear to your future spouse before you actually tie the knot. Divorce is an expensive proposition to engage in over a couple of slightly annoying phone calls.

It wouldn't get to the point where I'd married her before I noticed. Needy is not attractive. It's why I've been rejected sometimes. So I'd dump her as soon as it became obnoxious. Though I don't put a lot of stock in relationship advice (because it doesn't take into account that the author is not the two people involved), I do agree that the ability to spend time away from each other is as important as spending time with each other.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
As a GM, I use my laptop, but only for game-related purposes:

• I have the session write-ups on there so I can reference past events or NPC names (and my write-ups are much more coherent and readable than my notes).
  • I have a calculator up to do any math that we don't have the time to work out longhand.
  • I also use it for music, either soundtracks or (more recently) Syrinscape (which is awesome), for sound effects, music, or atmosphere.

I generally don't like other electronics at the table, or indeed any distractions. I have one player who uses a phone to noodle around on some app game sometimes, but if she's not doing that, she's doing a craft project. She claims she needs additional distraction to keep herself awake (particularly if we game on nights were she's worked during the day). And, to be fair, if she's feeling more alert, she does put the phone away.

I wish I could afford to ban phones entirely, but my players are generally pretty good about calling people back, only taking calls if they're important (expected or emergency calls from relatives or work, alarm reminders to take medication).

Remove ads