D&D 5E A new Golden Age for D&D

Mercurius

Legend
I sympathize with you [MENTION=59082]Mercurius[/MENTION]. You have a content need that isn't well being filled, or at least not by official content.
But creating a new thread on the subject every two weeks does nothing. The hundred or so 5e posters at ENWorld have no power to change this, and WotC is likely well aware of the desires for more content by a section of their fanbase.

Umm, did you actually read my post? This thread is not on that subject, not at all really. I just mentioned it so as to make clear that I'm not 100% satisfied.

You see to have missed the forest for the trees here, Jester Canuck.

Corpsetaker

First Post
sales, reviews, media articles; Im not going to google-fu for you. Also online table-top services like Roll20, among some :)

Brilliant rebuttal Mistwell, couldn't agree with you more :)

Even Google can't find what's not there.

If there was any proof what so ever then you would have already posted links.

I understand you want 5th edition to seem like it's the edition that has carried RPG's into a new era but that's just wishful thinking and not reality. I think you, and a few others, have been caught up in all the spin. That's what spin is designed to do. There is no proof out there that says this is the best selling edition ever, that it's number 1 among all the other RPG's, and that it's current plan for release is a proven success. There are too many factors that have to be put into the equation that will never be.

If the game is satisfying WoTc and Hasbro then happy for them, but don't sit there and make it seem like it's dominating RPG's and being the way forward to a new "Golden Age" of gaming.

If you are going to make these claims then you need the evidence to back them up.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If this year's GenCon is any guide, RPGs are doing fine (PF, CoC, etc.) but D&D itself is drifting.

The true Golden Age was from about 1980-84, peaking in about 1983. After that comes a long slow 15-year decline broken by an occasional uptick here and there, with the low point coming around 1996-97. Then 3e arrives and generates what might be a Silver Age, from about 2000-2003 peaking in 2001. Then - for D&D - another long slow decline broken by an occasional uptick until...well...now. It remains to be seen whether 5e will represent more than just another minor uptick contained within a decline, or will become more significant.

Muddying the waters these days is Pathfinder and - to a lesser extent - retroclones, both of which directly impact actual D&D's market share and both of which have lots of people playing them.

Is today a Silver Age for the RPG hobby as a whole? Quite possibly. Is it a Silver Age for D&D itself? Very open question, and might be for a few years yet.

Lan-"our weary eyes turn back toward the table, there'll always be a game here true and tried"-efan

D&D seems to be like Star Trek or Windows operating systems: every other one is a hit. 1e, 3e, and now 5e are doing awesome.
5e is certainly looking like it's going to be as influential as 3e was back in the day. And if it gets enough attention, it might even approach the mark of 1e. But I doubt that. 1e was a surprise success and cultural event that will likely never be replicated.
Is it a "golden age". Well.... more like a silver age. Things are good but not quite what they were, but as good as they might get.

Hopefully it'll continue for a nice, long time.

Mercurius

Legend
Here's your original post:...

Comments relating to a golden age are yellow, and comments relating to the slow release schedule are red.
Half of your post is commenting on the slow release schedule. It's as much a part of the discussion as the "golden age".

You've got to be kidding me. Two things: One, what is my post and the thread ABOUT? The golden age. The stuff on the product schedule was secondary and really tangential and inconsequential. Two, this is borderline thread-hijacking - you are derailing a thread, including making a post with distracting colors. If you have an issue with the content of my posts, just message me. But you're bringing up an issue that isn't what this thread or my original post is focused on.

You've got to be kidding me. Two things: One, what is my post and the thread ABOUT? The golden age. The stuff on the product schedule was secondary and really tangential and inconsequential. Two, this is borderline thread-hijacking - you are derailing a thread, including making a post with distracting colors. If you have an issue with the content of my posts, just message me. But you're bringing up an issue that isn't what this thread or my original post is focused on.
Hrmm.... While you did arguably bury the lead, I suppose I am being a dick. Previous comments deleted.

gyor

Legend
It has the potential to be a Golden Era, its the best designed RPG I've ever seen, but it need to create enough products to keep people excited about it.

I will say the 5e PHB is the best, coolest, and most flavourful one they're ever put out, but they've got to ramp things back up.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I take issue with the idea that the fad years of D&D were a golden age. There was not a Golden Age of the Pet Rock or Rubiks Cube, they were just fads. The Pet Rock is forgotten, but D&D and the Cube are still with us. That's about as far as it goes. A lot of folks did it for a little while, and a few folks never knew when to quit.

If an ed of D&D did usher in a new era of gaming it was 3.5, or, rather, d20 and the OGL. The industry /did/ change as a result. Though, again, not exactly a Golden Age...

Remove ads