The New D&D Adventure Is - Tomb of Annihilation!

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

Tomb of Annihilation is in the Forgotten Realms set in the Lost Continent of Chult - Away from the Sword Coast (the hosts of the live stream are very interested with undead dinosaurs). Acererak is, as many predicted, the source of this plotline as the Archlich is more or less "eating" resurrection magic from the rest of the Forgotten Realms and causing a zombie apocalypse. Pendleton Ward from Adventure Time is a creative consultant on this adventure.

More updates will be coming through the Dungeons & Dragons marathon live stream live on Twitch throughout the weekend.

The Sundering stuff.
That's... vague. A novel? An adventure? Was it explicitly stated as that or just implied?

I know in the podcast and interviews they stated they wanted the gods to be more "hands-off and distant". But that doesn't really mean they *can't* move between worlds.
Plus, it still doesn't explain why Tianat was "trapped". Even if she can't go to the material plane, why not the outer planes?

Prism

Explorer
There was a hint to this in the last Ed Greenwood book which I didn't realise at the time. Clerics were having difficulty casting raise dead. Probably relates to this 'eating resurrection magic'.

What is the source of the zombies? Resurrection magic is failing/incomplete and causing zombies instead of fully returned individuals? Or those who were resurrected are devolving into zombies? Isn't resurrection high-level/rare enough to sort of limit this as a source of plague?

From a comment by Mearls, I don't know the original spawning of the zombies, but it sounds like it spreads like classic zombie infection - if you are killed by a zombie, then you come back as a zombie. Specifically he mentioned a zombie t-rex and that "since a t-rex likes to swallow what it kills, it's victims then turn into zombies, which the t-rex vomits up."

So an undead t-rex that vomits more undead definitely sounds like the potential for an insane encounter!

That's... vague. A novel? An adventure? Was it explicitly stated as that or just implied?

I know in the podcast and interviews they stated they wanted the gods to be more "hands-off and distant". But that doesn't really mean they *can't* move between worlds.
Plus, it still doesn't explain why Tianat was "trapped". Even if she can't go to the material plane, why not the outer planes?

She can go to the Outer planes, but Asmodeus is more or less sticking her in the job of a guard dog.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I wish they used new threats and locations instead of existing ones....that way I could complain that they ignore existing lore in favor of trying to be nu and kewl!!!!!

Seriously....they can't win. Personally, I like that they draw on existing lore and give it a new spin. I've used the material they've put out to varying degrees in my game...and Chult figures prominently in my game, and I've been thinking of what I can do with Acererak, so I think I'll be getting this for sure.

Definitely sounds cool!

Mercule

Adventurer
Hopefully this doesn't turn into another ten pages, like all threads, about how FR is the worst. We've read it already. I really hope we get to talk about this product....
Well, I was about to say: Hey, cool. It's set on a lost continent, has undead and dinosaurs, which all sounds pretty generic. I don't know, well, anything about Chult. If this spends most of the time on the lost continent, it could be a blast.

Then, someone posted that it was (apparently) announced that this is a Chult source book that happens to have an adventure included.

So, my discussion on the actual product is that I hope that's an incorrect statement. I won't otherwise threadcrap, but do consider my disappointment in this being a Realms product to be as relevant as anyone who says, "Awesome, more Realms" or those who are excited or disappointed by undead dinosaurs. Those are practically the only things to discuss, right now.

Remove ads

Remove ads