How to deal with death in RPG?

Jonathan Tweet

Adventurer
What was the death mechanic in "Over the Edge"?

Characters had hit points, but the GM was coached to wreck PCs in ways that are more interesting than death by attrition. In the new Over the Edge (due out in June), a character dies or knocked out of the action if they get wrecked (stricken) three times. Losing a dice throw is an easy way for your character to get wrecked.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
[MENTION=6909558]Flex[/MENTION]or the Mighty - When you sign up for a Rappan Athuk game, you are signing up for a very different style of game than what is typically ran these days. Just look at all the posts hating on Dungeon of the Mad mage and on the concept of mega dungeons in general.

I'm enjoying this change of pace.

Sure, but for the most part I run my games like it still 1979. Granted RA kicks it up a notch but we play adversarial high mortality rate campaigns.

As a player, I like it when death is on the table as a possibility. I also hate it when my character dies. The longer I play the character the more I hate it. But the threat of death is an important part of the game for me. Sometimes it is almost as hard losing a fellow group member as it is losing my own PC.

On the rare occasions that I DM, I usually set it up the way I would want it as a player. However, if the players at the game were against death or wanted to adjust the frequency or rarity of death, I would be willing to do that, so long as there were still meaningful consequences in the game.

Remove ads