Jon Peterson posts Mordenkainen in 1974

Look at those stats, talk about a munchkin! :)

Look at those stats, talk about a munchkin! :)

Yardiff

Adventurer
This is the way we did things back then. Gauntlets of Ogre Power were for secondary melee characters since fighters, paladins, rangers generally had fairly high strength already so giving the gauntlets to the cleric or thief or monk helped them do more damage. Girdles of Giant Strength were what the main fighters types hoped to find.

3e gauntlets were a joke, we called them Gauntlets of a Few Push Ups since giving them to secondary melee characters was little improvement.

In the 1e PHB it says to reroll your stats if you dont have AT Least two 15s so multiple 15s was common in the characters that survived to high levels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
It's always funny how experience differs. We started playing in the late 70's and, among the people I played with anyway, Cha was the dump stat. The only character that had a decent Cha was the paladin or the ranger (because they HAD to). Everyone else? That's where you're 9 or lower roll went if you could. Then again, we never really bothered too much with henchmen and hirelings.

Yardiff

Adventurer
Whether we rolled 3d6 or 4d6 it was 'in order' so there was no 'dump stat' for us.

AriochQ

Adventurer
I started playing around 1978/1979, AD&D was just coming out. We rolled 3d6 and allowed the player rearrange the stats (so you could place them in the attribute you wanted). One thing we did do, totally munchkin, was just rolled TONS of sets of stats and stopped rolling when we got a set we liked. Our rational..."I just made a character...his stats suck...he kills himself. Next character!"

Sacrosanct

Legend
I imagine we wouldn’t have nearly the overpopulation problems we have now if people with low stats in real life just killed themselves....

Yikes lol. All I can think of is all those PCs shouting out “We’re people too! I don’t wanna die!”

pemerton

Legend
Not surprised to see the high charisma. Henchmen and followers were really important in early D&D and charisma was a key factor in determining the quantity and the loyalty/morale those followers and henchmen had towards their liege.
Who knows what loyalty rules were being used by Rob Kuntz back when this PC sheet was typed up!

But in the AD&D loyalty rules, it's not that hard to have a fanatically loyal henchman even with only average CHA.

Where CHA comes more into its own, even if henchmen aren't that important to a particular table's style of play, is in affecting reaction rolls. But that assumes that reaction rolls are being used.

If anything, when one looks at old edition PHBs and sees what attributes give what bonuses when, Charisma was almost always one worth pumping up if a player didn’t have particularly high rolls or had an extra good roll, because it was the rare attribute than gave incremental advances (it’s bonuses to dealing with henchmen and hirelings) from a low number on instead of not giving any bonuses until 15. So, no, Charisma only became a plausible “dump stat” around 1995 or so, if not 2000 (depending if one is considering it’s change of use in 3.0 vs the rebalancing of options in Skills & Powers), although it’s use in game culture was declining after about 1986.
I think the bigger influence on the utility of CHA is the divergence of approaches to encounter reactions. In a system in which the reactions of creatures met is determined randomly, having a modifier to those rolls is useful - 13 CHA gives +5, and 16 gives +25, on the AD&D tables.

But if the GM had predetermined encounter reactions - which is increasingly the case with changes in expectations around adventure design and adjudication - then those reaction bonuses become much less important. Hence so does CHA.

1st edition AD&D DMG:

Method I:
All scores are recorded and arranged in the order the player desires. 4d6 are rolled, and the lowest die (or one of the lower) is discarded.

Method II:
All scores are recorded and arranged as in Method I. 3d6 are rolled 12 times and the highest6 scores are retained.

Method 111:
Scores rolled are according to each ability category, in order, STRENGTH, INTELLIGENCE, WISDOM, DEXTERITY, CONSTITUTION, CHARISMA. 3d6 are rolled 6 times for each ability, and the highest score in each category is re- toined for that category.

Method IV:
3d6 are rolled sufficient times to generate the 6 ability scores, in order, for 12 characters, The player then selects the single set of scores which he or she finds most desirable and these scores are noted on the character record sheet.

We rolled tons of dice before getting a set of stats we were happy with.

Remove ads

Remove ads