D&D General Playing at the World 2nd Edition, Volume 1, The Invention of Dungeons and Dragons

darjr

I crit!
Jon Peterson's Playing at the World was the serious attempt at the history of this hobby I was always looking for. Sadly I was never able to buy a copy. Now it looks like the 2nd edition is real.

Jon Peterson studies the history of games, especially tabletop role-playing games and wargames. His first book, "Playing at the World," was called "the first serious history of the development of Dungeons & Dragons" by the Village Voice.

There isn't a cover as of yet. Edit: the cover is now out!

IMG_9522.jpeg

He's also posting fascinating things at this blog.

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Jon Peterson's Playing at the World was the serious attempt at the history of this hobby I was always looking for. Sadly I was never able to buy a copy. Now it looks like the 2nd edition is real.

Jon Peterson studies the history of games, especially tabletop role-playing games and wargames. His first book, "Playing at the World," was called "the first serious history of the development of Dungeons & Dragons" by the Village Voice.

There isn't a cover as of yet.

He's also posting fascinating things at this blog.
That’s great. I wonder how he’s going to split the content and what updates he’s going to do.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
That’s great. I wonder how he’s going to split the content and what updates he’s going to do.

I'm (slightly) more interested in whether or not he's doing a "re-write."

I am an unabashed fan of his historical work. That said, I think that his writing style has evolved since he first wrote PaTW, and done do so to retain his core strength (objective analysis based on source material) while making his books much more readable.

PaTW was wonderful scholarship, but it wasn't nearly as compelling as his later books. I hope that, in addition to updating it with the information he learned while researching his later books, he also does a re-write to make it a better (more readable) book.

overgeeked

B/X Known World

I am an unabashed fan of his historical work. That said, I think that his writing style has evolved since he first wrote PaTW, and done do so to retain his core strength (objective analysis based on source material) while making his books much more readable.

PaTW was wonderful scholarship, but it wasn't nearly as compelling as his later books. I hope that, in addition to updating it with the information he learned while researching his later books, he also does a re-write to make it a better (more readable) book.
Absolutely fair. It was more of a slog to read than his others. That sounds like it would be a huge undertaking. But yeah. That would be nice. Especially for other people who haven’t already read the original. The info is too good to be locked behind dense prose.

Reynard

Legend

I would love to see him enhance the accessibility of the original book in the 2nd edition. The things that led to invention of D&D are fascinating and I feel like people who might otherwise be interested are put off by the massive tome and academic style.

Agreed. Playing at the World was data-dense, but not as readable as his subsequent works.

Remove ads