D&D General What Should Today's Archetypes Be

Reynard

Legend
Pretend, for a moment, that D&D was created today and was laying down the framework for the way we talk about fantasy in gaming. Yes, I know it's impossible given how influential D&D has been on fantasy, but go with me here.

In 1974, there was the Fighting Man, Magic User and Cleric (and later thief), informed by Appendix N and wargames.

What do you think the core archetypes would be if D&D were invented today? What inspirational media make you think those particular ones would be foundational?

For my part, I think "fantasy hero archetypes" that aren't just derivative of D&D archetypes, and are represented in media, might look more like the core classes from D20 Modern: Smart Hero, Strong Hero, etc... if you think about characters in ensemble heroic action media, they tend to be defined more by those traits than their "class."

What do you think the core archetypes of an invented now D&D would be, in an alternate universe where D&D did not define gaming fantasy?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
If we're also discounting all the RPGs, computer RPGs, MMOs, JRPGs, etc. spawned from D&D, then I think it's hard to argue that fantasy gaming wouldn't immediately adopt anime and manga as the standard bearer.

Races would be catgirl, isekai, dwarf, elf, goo girl, half-demon, etc.

Classes would be badass with a giant sword, magic school girl, shinobi, samurai, etc.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Black Mage
White Mage
Cyborg/Self-Forged
Master Archer
Juggernaut
Monster-hearted/shapeshifter
Rogue/Ninja/Assassin
Gunner/Mage-gunner
Alchemist/tinkerer
Elementalist
Summoner
Slayer/two-hander
Knight
Beastmaster/Beast ridder
Valkyrie/Aerial weapon user

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Given that Harry Potter is a hugely influential fantasy work not particularly inspired in any way by D&D, should "Wizard" as an archetype be included with very direct HP trappings, in the same way Vancian magic was a core element of OD&D?

Something like a Sage/Loremaster, someone incarnating ''knowledge is power'', would indeed be a good one. Maybe a mix of artificer + tome wizard + knowledge cleric + UA Lorehold caster can be great inspiration.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Happy Game Of Thrones GIF

If we're also discounting all the RPGs, computer RPGs, MMOs, JRPGs, etc. spawned from D&D, then I think it's hard to argue that fantasy gaming wouldn't immediately adopt anime and manga as the standard bearer.

Races would be catgirl, isekai, dwarf, elf, goo girl, half-demon, etc.

Classes would be badass with a giant sword, magic school girl, shinobi, samurai, etc.
That's actually not terrible. I feel like you could probably refine an anime-based approach into something viable, though maybe you'd want to start with slightly classier anime than you seem to be.

Remove ads