D&D 5E The Multiverse is back....

E

Elderbrain

Re: Fiends changing alignment

Imaro is correct, it's canonical in D&D (well, o.k., Planescape) that several Celestial beings have gone bad and that a few Fiends have become good or at least Neutral. The Archon Triel the fallen became the Archdevil Baalzebul, for instance. Fall-From-Grace is a Succubus that became Lawful Neutral after starting Chaotic Evil. A Hamatula devil turned Lawful Good and joined the Celestial (and recruits other Fiends wanting to change). And some standard types of demons (Alu-fiend and Cambion) could be either non-evil aligned (CN for Alu-fiend, CN or ÇG for Cambions, in Planescape and even in their 1e MM writeups, I think...) So even if Fiends are evil in their essense, clearly their essence can change!

Last edited:

E

Elderbrain

. Whereas the D&D alignment system is committed to the (absurd) notion that the two so-called axes are independent of one another.

- They ARE. Law is not the same thing as Good, and Chaos is not the same thing as Evil.

But what I do agree with in your post is that any coherent moral framework has to take some sort of stand on this. It makes no sense to say that the difference in outlook between the demon and the devil is evaluatively significant, and yet makes no contribution to the degree of goodness/evilness. (That's not to deny the possibility of non-moral dimensions of evaluation, but no one is arguing that L/C is, say , an aesthetic axis, and that paladins' hostiity to chaos is an aesthetic judgement.)

O.K.... I'LL argue it! There can be more than one form of perfect Good, and The Seven Heavens of Mount Celestia, Elysium, and Arbórea are three different forms, all equally good. Satisfied...?

Nivenus

First Post
These claims have no canonical basis in the D&D texts I'm familiar with (eg Gygax's AD&D and the character alignment graph; the d20 SRD definitions of alignment).

On the alignment graph, for instance, nothing prevents a character being in the upper left-hand corner, and therefore both maximally lawful and maximally good.

Detect evil measures the strength of evil. Nothing suggests that a vrock can't register as much evil as mezzodaemon.

I think you're missing my main point, which is that which is worse of the three evils (or best of the three goods) is a matter largely of perspective... which is in the sourcebooks.

Specifically, these descriptions of the evil alignments in the 3rd edition Player's Handbook:

PHB (3e) said:
Lawful evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents methodical, intentional, and frequently successful evil... Neutral evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents pure evil without honor and without variation... Chaotic evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents the destruction not only of beauty and life but of the order on which beauty and life depend.

Which matches the description offered for good alignments:

PHB (3e) said:
Lawful good is the best alignment you can be because it combines honor and compassion... Neutral good is the best alignment you can be because it means doing what is good without bias toward or against order... Chaotic good is the best alignment you can be because it combines a good heart with a free spirit.

In all six cases (as well as the other three cases for LN, N, and CN), the book deliberately leaves which is the best form of good or the worst form of evil in the eye of the beholder. Which is what I said.

But again, part of the purpose of the distinction between LE, NE, and CE is that which is worse lies in the eye of the beholder.

I said that yugoloths/daemons are closer to being unadulterated evil, but that doesn't necessarily make them worse (from the perspective of a LG or CG character). And that matches pretty closely with the above descriptions where, when NE is described as the most evil, it is because it is the least distracted by other motivations besides pure selfishness.

That being said, the idea that yugoloths are even more evil than demons and devils isn't actually without basis. Here's a relevant excerpt from Planes of Conflict, a 2nd edition Planescape supplement:

Planes of Conflict: Liber Malevolentiae said:
The yugoloths are thought to be the most evil creatures in existence. Having been spawned on the Gray Waste, the plane that supposedly exemplifies the evil of the multiverse, it seems only natural to assume that they embody the wickedness of their home plane.

It's also worth noting that in the 2nd edition Player's Handbook, alignments such as LG, CG, LE, and CE are explicitly labeled "combinations," where loyalty is divided between the interests law/chaos and good/evil. When discussing the basis of alignment, the book talks primarily in terms of law vs. chaos and good vs. evil, rather than the specific nine alignments.

A lawful good character is a good character who acts lawfully and believes order is the best way to promote good. A chaotic good character, conversely, is a good character who acts freely and believes that if people are free to do what they want everyone will be better off. A lawful evil character is a character who enjoys controlling and dominating others and who use social structures and complicated schemes to torment others. A chaotic evil character, conversely, is one who not only believes they should be able to do whatever they want but does so in such a way that actively (and purposefully) brings misery to others.

A paladin who aligns with a demon or a devil is not somehow doing a less evil thing than one who aligns with a nycadaemon.

I've already addressed this above, but it's interesting you should make this claim when you were earlier arguing that chaotic evil characters were obviously more evil than lawful evil characters. That seems an inconsistent claim to me. At the very least, by your logic, a nycaloth should be more evil than a pit fiend.

The meanings given by the web-page that Nivenus cites have no real basis either in the classical languages from which the words are derived, nor any standard English dictionary. See eg this dictionary website which gives as its opening definition of "ethics" the completely orthodox "system of moral principles".

Firstly, appealing to the original meaning of either word is an "etymological fallacy." Words' meaning change over time and the fact that morals and ethics both have a fairly identical meaning in their original language doesn't actually guarantee their meaning today should be identical. Cow and beef both originally meant "cow" (in Old English and Old French respectively) but only one of them has that precise meaning today.

Secondly, I never said the words were universally held to have disparate meanings. But I've definitely seen the debate over how ethics differs from morality outside of discussions of D&D (quite frequently actually). The words are sometimes synonymous, sometimes they aren't. The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy notes that the word "ethics" is "commonly used interchangeably with 'morality'... and sometimes it is used more narrowly to mean the moral principles of a particular tradition, group, or individual." The truth is that, as with a lot of near-synonyms, the two terms often mean subtly different things depending on the context. Here's another discussion of how the two terms relate to one another (and how they are often distinguished).

Thirdly, it was never my point that D&D's usage of the terms corresponded directly to these distinctions. Merely it was that the distinction between ethics and morality is not, in of itself, an innovation of the game's.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
I think you're missing my main point, which is that which is worse of the three evils (or best of the three goods) is a matter largely of perspective... which is in the sourcebooks.

<snip>

it's interesting you should make this claim when you were earlier arguing that chaotic evil characters were obviously more evil than lawful evil characters. That seems an inconsistent claim to me. At the very least, by your logic, a nycaloth should be more evil than a pit fiend.
You may be confusing me with [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION].

Upthread (post 767) I said:

I don't think one would have to go this way: for instance, if you wanted to run a game that emphasised the ethos of Homeric heroism, you might want to frame the CE character as at least capable of self-assertion, whereas the the LE character might be somewhat weak and insipid.

But what I do agree with in your post is that any coherent moral framework has to take some sort of stand on this. It makes no sense to say that the difference in outlook between the demon and the devil is evaluatively significant, and yet makes no contribution to the degree of goodness/evilness.​

My point is that, per the D&D rules, degree of evil is not a matter of perspective - eg Detect Evil doesn't yield a different result, when cast on a demon or a devil, depending on whether or not the caster is lawful or chaotic. I'm not saying this is coherent - my whoe contention is that this is part of the reason that the 9-point framework is incoherent.

A lawful good character is a good character who acts lawfully and believes order is the best way to promote good. A chaotic good character, conversely, is a good character who acts freely and believes that if people are free to do what they want everyone will be better off
The point is, if the LG character casts Detect Good or Know Alignment on the inhabitants of Olympus, s/he is going to have to abandon his/her conviction that order is the best way to promote good - because here are all these non-lawful beings who are just as good as s/he is.

There can be more than one form of perfect Good, and The Seven Heavens of Mount Celestia, Elysium, and Arbórea are three different forms, all equally good. Satisfied...?
That is completely coherent. The prominent contemporary moral and political philsopher Joseph Raz defends a view along these lines (it's called value pluralism). It's just that, if that were so, then there is no rational basis for the Celestians to quarrel with the Arboreans and vice versa. Because each is perfectly good.

But D&D, in is 9-alignment/Great Wheel version, wants to assert both that all three are equally good, and yet that one perspective can reasonably regard the other as flawed. That is what is incoherent.

What I said above, in response to [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION], is that I think most D&Ders tend to try to reconcile the incoherence in much the way that you describe, and hence draw the reasonable conclusion that the differene between law and chaos is not a very big deal. If you want to play a drunken barbarian, choose CG. If you want to play a stick-in-the-mud paladin, choose LG. But the difference between being drunk and being a stick-in-the-mud is a difference of temperament and inclination, not a difference of deep moral weight. Quite different, say, from the difference between being generous and being a thieving murderer.

TL;DR: In 9-point alignment it makes no difference to a being's possible degree of goodness or evil whether or not it is lawful or chaotic. The two are independent. Hence, judging a being as morally flawed on the basis that it is lawful or chaotic is unwarranted. However, this is exactly what the game posits: that Celesitians judge Olympians as morally flawed despite the fact that they are fully good. This is incoherent. The standard way of brushing over the incoherence is the one that [MENTION=5142]Aldarc[/MENTION] pointed to: downplay law/chaos divisions (eg treat them as matters of temperament) and focus on good and evil as the meaningful conflict.

This is why dwarves and elves can be friends, whereas elves and ogres can't be.

pemerton

Legend
I said that yugoloths/daemons are closer to being unadulterated evil, but that doesn't necessarily make them worse (from the perspective of a LG or CG character). And that matches pretty closely with the above descriptions where, when NE is described as the most evil, it is because it is the least distracted by other motivations besides pure selfishness.

<snip>

A lawful good character is a good character who acts lawfully and believes order is the best way to promote good. A chaotic good character, conversely, is a good character who acts freely and believes that if people are free to do what they want everyone will be better off.
Here's a bonus incoherence that follows from the language of "unadulterated evil":

Presumably, by way of symmetry, if NE is the most unadulterated evil, then NG is the most unadulterated good. Hence, a LG or CG person must believe that the best way to achieved goodness is not via unadulterated goodness, but rather by diluting the goodness with a bit of law or chaos. Which only has to be stated for its absurdity to become apparent.

(In the case of evil the absurdity is less clear, because no one really supposes that evil beings actively affirm evil as a value, so they have no reason to be concerned about watering down their evil.)

The obvious way out of the absurdity is, as per [MENTION=6779993]Elderbrain[/MENTION]'s post a few above this one, to recognise that LG, NG and CG are all fully adequate modes of being good. (As the alignment graph also recognises.) From which it then follows, though, that a LG person has no rational basis to judge a CG person morally flawed (and vice versa).

pemerton

Legend
In the real world, of course, it makes perfect sense for person A to think that achieving good requires order, and hence to regard person B, who is (let's say) an anarchist, as morally flawed. Because A judges B to be evil - or, at least, to be producing evil results even if subjectively committed to goodness.

But part of why this is possible is because, in the real world, whatever supposed utopia B points to (whether a real or a hypothesised one), it is open to A to deny its utopic character. For instance, someone who wants to argue that tight-knit social order is more conducive to human welfare might point to measures of happiness in pre-modern hunter gatherer or pastoral socities, and contrast them with the high rates of alienation and mental illness in mass industrial societies. But the defender of modern conceptions of liberty can always deny that pre-modern societies were really conducing to wellbeing (in part, perhaps, by disputing the relevant criteria of well-being) or contend that modern societies, while currenty flawed, enjoy an as-yet unrealised utopic capacity (both Marx and Hayek, in different ways, believe this).

What causes the breakdown in 9-point D&D is that the game tells us, as a matter of canon, that there is a place, Olympus, which is both fully chaotic and fully good, and another place, the Seven Heavens, which is both fully lawful and fully good. And the alignment graph tells us that the same possibilities are open to individual characters. That is to say, the game stipulates an answer to a question which, in the real world, has been and remains one of the most heated of political and moral disputes; and furthermore, it stipulates that a certain dispute (between Law and Chaos) continues on in spite of that answer, whereas in the real world, whenever the answer is accepted (ie by value pluralists), the immediate consequence is that the dispute between different ways of realising the good becomes simply a dispute of taste and inclination, not one about moral error.

I think this is what [MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION] had in mind in stating that, while alignment can work as a personality descriptor, it is hopeless as a metaphysics.

(And for those who enjoy analogies, here is another one. It would be possible for a source book to tell me that the geometry of Greyhawk is Euclidean, that the walls are a perfect circle, that the diameter is exactly 700 yards, and that the circumfrence of the walls is exactly 2200 yards. But the mere fact that you can write that sentence down in a rulebook doesn't make it coherent.)

Imaro

Legend
I didn't say otherwise.

My point is that Moorcock does not think that the extent to which something is lawful or chaotic has no bearing on its degree of goodness or evil. Whereas the D&D alignment system is committed to the (absurd) notion that the two so-called axes are independent of one another.

No what Moorcock asserts and what D&D enforces as well through the nine-point alignment system is that one cannot be absolutely one cosmological force (chaos or law) and still also be absolutely another cosmological force (good or evil)... it's an impossibility since absolutely would mean metaphysically that is the whole of your being. Until that point of absoluteness is reached Moorcock shows us that chaos and law have the propensity to cause both good and evil. Now most/many of Moorcock's works posit that balance in law and chaos is the only way to promote the greatest good (i.e. to be unconcerned with promoting law or chaos but instead promoting good on it's own)... however from most of the stories I remember the only place that comes close to this idealized balance is the city of Tanelorn.

These claims have no canonical basis in the D&D texts I'm familiar with (eg Gygax's AD&D and the character alignment graph; the d20 SRD definitions of alignment).

On the alignment graph, for instance, nothing prevents a character being in the upper left-hand corner, and therefore both maximally lawful and maximally good.

I don't have 1e so take my comments with a grain of salt since they are based on googling the graph, but... I think You're reading that graph wrong... that person is maximally lawful good... not both maximally lawful (which would mean he is totally devoted to and in essence law) and maximally good (which would mean he is totally devoted to and totally in essence good)... but you can't be totally two different things... since total is a finite sum that encompasses all...

The fact that instead of going straight up the middle where good would be positioned you are pulled towards the left (towards law) shows that you have a value system that must by it's very nature sometimes conflict when the most lawful action or result is not the most good action or result... at that point you must be one or the other and thus are not maximally one or the other... this is supported in the descriptions of alignments...

Lawful Good characters, especially paladins, may sometimes find themselves faced with the dilemma of whether to obey law or good when the two conflict — for example, upholding a sworn oath when it would lead innocents to come to harm — or conflicts between two orders, such as between their religious law and the law of the local ruler.

Detect evil measures the strength of evil. Nothing suggests that a vrock can't register as much evil as mezzodaemon.

Furthermore, if you read the texts of the game (eg Monster Manuals, paladin alignment descriptions, etc) there is nothing to suggest that Demogorgon or Orcus is less evil than Anthraxus. A paladin who aligns with a demon or a devil is not somehow doing a less evil thing than one who aligns with a nycadaemon.

Actually, at least in 3.x, the HD determine how "evil" something registers as and thus different fiends would in fact register at different intensities of evil... So this is more evidence to support the fact that the LE alignment of fiends is an umbrella that encompasses a variety of actual levels of evil as opposed to being one consistent level..., Also note they did not base this on how chaotic or lawful it is...

But what I do agree with in your post is that any coherent moral framework has to take some sort of stand on this. It makes no sense to say that the difference in outlook between the demon and the devil is evaluatively significant, and yet makes no contribution to the degree of goodness/evilness. (That's not to deny the possibility of non-moral dimensions of evaluation, but no one is arguing that L/C is, say , an aesthetic axis, and that paladins' hostiity to chaos is an aesthetic judgement.)

It does make sense when law and chaos are cosmological forces in their own right, that both have their own traits they wish promoted across the planes that are independent of the morality of good and evil. As an admittedly imprecise example... would you say the required obedience in some forms of the code of Bushido as it relates to order is any less a statement on morality than kindness is as it relates to goodness? I don't think it is, I think both are a form of morality and that obedience in and of itself is neither good nor evil... but does speak to the conflict of law vs. chaos.

Hussar

Legend
Hey, when did my nice little bitch fest about The Planes become an alignment wank? Didn't we just have like an 80 page alignment wank, with the exact same participants, like a couple of months ago?

pemerton

Legend
would you say the required obedience in some forms of the code of Bushido as it relates to order is any less a statement on morality than kindness is as it relates to goodness?
Of course it is. But it's not orthogonal to a view about the importance of kindness. It's part of that view; part of a view about what makes for a worthwhile and duty-conforming human life.

There's nothing absurd about thinking that stability, order, liberty, duties-to-self, etc, matter to morality. What's absurd is the suggestion that views about these matters are orthogonal to views about good and evil.

pemerton

Legend
Hey, when did my nice little bitch fest about The Planes become an alignment wank? Didn't we just have like an 80 page alignment wank, with the exact same participants, like a couple of months ago?
Well, I did mention that thread upthread. But I didn't post a link.

Remove ads