D&D 5E Optimum and/or Fun Party of 6 for ToA?

Nevvur

Explorer
I'd start with the iconic fighter, cleric, wizard, rogue team. Covers all your bases.

Druid and ranger for the last two. Good contributors for all that wilderness.

Nevvur

Explorer
Regarding water consumption, if there isn't one to be found at some point in the adventure, I would include a Decanter of Endless Water as a reward/discovery early on. Maybe let the heavy armor wearers sweat for a couple sessions, but tracking water resources isn't the sort of thing myself or the players at my table would enjoy for an entire campaign.

OB1

Jedi Master
I'm asking the question because I'm thinking of running the campaign for a group of high school students for whom (for a variety of reasons) I will probably provide a set of pre-gens to choose from, starting at 5th level.

I'm thinking:
Shadow Monk
Totem Barbarian
Hunter Ranger
Moon Druid
Lore Bard
Divination Wizard

Multiclassing one of them with Scout is a possibility, too.

That's a good "optimal" version, how about giving them a choice between that and an "oddball" version.

Dragonborn Fiend Bladelock/ Assassin
Dwarven Wild Sorcerer
Half orc Eldritch Knight
Halfling Beastmaster Ranger
Half Elf Oath of Ancients Paladin
Tiefling valor bard

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Horwath

Legend
Well, chain shirt/chain mail would be no problem to wear as it is quite good ventilated.

Leather and hide...not so much.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
This is what I'd call the perfect six PC group:

Race: Wood Elf.
Class: Ranger (Hunter).
Starting Ability Scores: STR 10, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 8.
Skills: Animal Handling, Acrobatics, Nature, Perception, Stealth, Survival.
Languages: Draconic, Goblin.
Background: Outlander.
ASI: Dual Wielder, Dexterity +2.
Favoured Enemies: Beasts, Undead.
Favoured Terrain: Forest, Swamp/Mountain/Coastal (doesn't really matter for the second or third choice).
Fighting Style: Two-weapon Fighting.
Hunter's Prey: Horde Breaker.
Defensive Tactics: Multiattack Defence.
Multiattack: Whirlwind Attack.
Spells: Hunter's Mark, Jump, Lesser Restoration, Pass without Trace, Protection from Poison, Daylight, Protection from Energy.

Race: Human (variant).
Class: Wizard (diviner).
Starting Ability Scores: STR 8, DEX 16, CON 16, INT 16, WIS 8, CHA 8.
Skills: Acrobatics, Arcana, History, Investigation, Religion.
Languages: Draconic.
Background: Archaeologist.
Variant Feat: Resilient (Constitution).
ASI: Intelligence +4.
Spells: 0th - Chill Touch, Mage Hand, Mold Earth, Shocking Grasp, Toll the Dead. 1st - Absorb Elements, Catapult, Comprehend Languages, Detect Magic, Feather Fall, Find Familiar, Mage Armour, Shield. 2nd - Detect Thoughts, Knock, Locate Object, Rope Trick. 3rd - Dispel Magic, Fireball, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Remove Curse. 4th - Arcane Eye, Banishment, Fabricate, Locate Creature. 5th - Contact Other Plane, Hold Monster, Legend Lore.

Race: Half-Elf.
Class: Rogue (Swashbuckler).
Starting Ability Scores: STR 10, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 16.
Skills: Acrobatics, Deception, History, Insight, Perception, Persuasion, Religion, Stealth.
Languages: Draconic, Primordial.
Background: Anthropologist.
ASI: Inspiring Leader, Dexterity +4.
Expertise: Deception, Insight, Perception, Persuasion.

Race: Aasimar (protector).
Class: Cleric (light).
Starting Ability Scores: STR 8, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 12.
Skills: Insight, Medicine, Perception, Persuasion.
Background: Acolyte (Sune).
ASI: Wisdom +4.

Race: Human (variant).
Class: Monk (long death).
Starting Ability Scores: STR 10, DEX 16, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 16, CHA 8.
Skills: Acrobatics, Animal Handling, Perception, Stealth, Survival.
Language: Primordial.
Background: Urchin.
Variant Feat: Observant (wisdom).
ASI: Dexterity +2, Wisdom +2.

Race: Half-orc.
Class: Barbarian (totem).
Starting Ability Scores: STR 16, DEX 14, CON 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 8.
Skills: Animal Handling, Athletics, Stealth, Survival.
Background: Mercenary Veteran.
ASI: Strength +4.
Totem Spirit: Wolf.
Aspect of the Beast: Elk.

With the barbarian and ranger, you're moving through the jungle at double speed (ranger allows group to travel normally through difficult terrain, barbarian doubles travel speed). That alone speeds things up immensely. With the ranger's tracking and hunting ability, combined with outlander, plus the barbarian's commune with nature and a couple of characters with survival trained, you should never have a problem with water or food. Also, with lots of melee attackers, the getting advantage from the barbarian and focus firing targets will kill enemies off very quickly. The monk's passive perception will alert you to pretty much any danger. The monk will also get you through any of the cities at double speed, which is fantastic in Omu. The swashbuckler is the party face, and with draconic and primordial can cover 95% of interactions with only the grung not speaking a common tongue, which is where anthropologist kicks in. The cleric gets you access to Sune temple, bypassing the Charisma check if needed, but also because you'll need all the help you can get from a temple and also gives you a ton of radiant damage which is going to be fantastic against the tons of undead you'll face. The warding flare will also be very handy, not to mention the blastiness of the light cleric in combination with the aasimar, and flight is also very handy in the jungles and high places which seem to abound in this adventure. The wizard is your go to for finding where things are and determining courses of action and scrying ahead and the all important rope trick and leomund's tiny hut. Archaeologist also gives you a slight edge in all those ruins. Mercenary Veteran gives you an in and an edge with the Flaming Fist as well.

What's good about this group is also the survivability of it. The barbarian and monk are front and centre, looking for traps (and surviving if they get caught). The wizard has a ton of really necessary utility for scouting safely and opening dangerous things at a distance. Rogue's evasion and uncanny dodge and being able to get in and out of combat while the ranger can take care of mobs while also focusing and the clearing ability of the two blasters plus healing and saving throw shenanigans with portent (you'll need to save it for those all important saves that come up and can insta kill a character). Oh, and Inspiring Leader is highly underrated. Temp hit points every short rest? Yes please.

I was thinking of putting in an undying warlock but couldn't quite make it work as well as the above combo.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases