Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

Uller

Adventurer
If it's the latter, then, yes, it's super lazy.

Which you have no idea if that's true. Precedent suggests otherwise. CoS is essentially a reboot of I6 plus new adventures wrapped around it to form a lvl 1-10 campaign. At a minimum we can expect them to redo art and maps, upgrade mechanics and build a more coherent storyline both internal to each adventure and around the campaign as a whole.

For most players these adventures are brand new..perhaps they've heard rumors. Parents, aunts and uncles or older cousins murmuring about that time they're 9th level paladin battled King Snurre or their elf fighter/magic-user/thief got teleported naked into a giant briar patch. I played or ran 4 of these. Some multiple times in multiple editions. Not one of my current players have. I am thinking of starting a lunch group at work and this product sounds like the perfect product for that.

darjr

I crit!
Ya know CoS also got us Death House which I love so very much. And the other added pieces are really great too.

If the book contains anything like Death House, well it'll be the cherry on top.

Celebrim

Legend
What ... are ... you ... talking about? Seriously. Any person who says that they can have a party of 1st level characters "beat" Tomb of Horrors is vastly overstating their case.

If the 1st level party has a few low level potions or scrolls it is quite doable. How few they need is a matter of debate, but possibly as little as one potion of flying would be sufficient for a 1st level party to complete the module.

I have run Hidden Shrine many times. I have never had a TPK. Not once.

I have as hard of time believing you in this than you have believing me in the ease that Tomb of Horrors be defeated. You either didn't run it as written (ignored poison gas, or played the 'top down' non-competition manner), or you had parties that were vastly higher level than those suggested. How you could have ran it multiple times without at least one party trying to take a rest in the dungeon and start choking to death on the 'carbon monoxide' or wandering around until they were deep into the death clock without finding an exit I have no idea.

If your main argument boils down to "but the Will o' The Wisp is tougher, relative to the party, than the monsters in Tomb of Horrors," I think you are both vastly understating your exception (sans, I dunno, Acererak) and completely misunderstanding why Tomb of Horrors
has its well-deserved reputation (how many monsters are in Tomb of Horrors ???).

Seriously, if I could recite the clue poem, I could run Tomb of Horrors purely from memory. I know the adventure very well.

1) I'm not understating the exception. Acererak is not killable as written by parties of the suggested levels (or any of the pregen characters). The successful party just chooses not to fight him. So my assumption is that a party clever enough to reach him would simply choose not to fight (since he's helpless unless you choose to attack him) or would run away immediately once combat started, losing just 1 character.

2) The fact that I'm not misunderstanding the module is precisely why a 1st level party can beat the module. There are basically no required combat encounters in the module. Arguably if you need to get the ring to open the door in the chapel (because you don't have one of your own), you might run into the snakes in the chest, but they are IIRC just 1HD and even a low level party being cautious should be able to take them down (a single sleep spell does it, for example). All the traps are passive. They only kill you if you touch them. Almost all are gravity based, most can be bypassed just by probing with a 10' long pole or tossing a heavy sack of dirt out in front of you, and being able to fly bypasses almost every trap in the dungeon with ease. The one exception that might TPK the party is cured by having the thief that is probing ahead of the party be on a rope so you can reel him back. It's not that hard of a dungeon if you don't do things that are stupid. When I was in junior high, we got through but didn't get the treasure, and lots of people have beat it.

3) Again, the Will o' the Wisp is basically an unkillable nightmare beast when you run up against it at that level. It's an active nasty foe that can chase you down. It's almost impossible to hurt. It's AC is bonkers for a party of this level, with most of the party only hitting on a natural 20. Nothing in Tomb of Horrors chases the party down. And it's not even the only beasty that you've got to fight. And as far as traps go, the sand trap in 'Hidden Shrine' is worse than all but two traps in 'Tomb of Horrors' (the slime curtains, and the unsavable sleep gas + juggernaut), and is harder to avoid than both of those.

4) While the level of the party doesn't matter as much as playing cautiously in Tomb of Horrors (because many traps bypass saves and hit points), a party of 9th-10th level characters still has vastly more resources available to it than 5th-6th level characters. There is far more room for error in Tomb of Horrors. If you foolishly fall into a spiked poisoned pit in Tomb of Horrors, you'll still probably survive. And if you don't, that's what 'raise dead' is for. Clerics of this level have tons of experience using 'neutralize poison'. You have zero room for mistakes in 'Hidden Shrine', and if you are under-leveled you are dead. But as I pointed out, being under-leveled in Tomb of Horrors just gives you less margin for error. If you play perfectly, you never fight anything or take damage anyway.

'Hidden Shrine' is a nightmare. Having ran it a couple of times, I'm wholly unconvinced you ran it as written. Again, because of the time pressure and the lethality of monsters, it takes considerable planning to figure out how to beat the module even if you know the text. It's still a hideously dangerous module if you are overleveled for it. By comparison, if you are overleveled for Tomb of Horrors, you probably cast 'Find the Path' and found the module a joke.

Hidden Shrine is a wonderful module, and quite difficult. But its not Tomb of Horrors. Hidden Shrine was written for competition, Tomb was written to take players down a peg, by killing their characters.

You keep repeating all this stuff about 'intention' as if that was proof of anything. Both modules were tournament modules. The fact remains, that as written 'Hidden Shrine' is vastly harder than 'Tomb of Horrors'. Did you or did you not track every turn that they were in the Shrine, and how the heck did they get out before everyone died? It's hard to path out of the lower levels before the sand runs out on the timer even if you know which way to go! Average random walks are invariably lethal. The module is designed to kill 9 parties in 10 just by random bad luck before it even gets out of the first level. Even with parties of 6 or 8 characters (compared to the 3(!!) you are allowed in tournament play) it's a reliable TPK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Well, as I said, it's my advanced age (37) ;) the very concept of twitch boggles my mind - why the blazes would I want to watch other people play games when I can play them myself? But I know I'm hopelessly out of date.

Man if you consider that advanced age, what am I when I turn 48 next Wednesday?

(insert your own old fart jokes here)

guachi

Hero
*shrug* Different people, different preferences.

I have a good deal of experience with Castle Amber. It is very old-school (in the best ways) and very creative. I have also run it in 5e (twice). It worked really well.

One of my all-time favorite modules.

X2 could use a bit of polishing for 5e but it would be a cracking good adventure for the new hardback. Take a portal to another world so you can do run an adventure that takes you through a portal to another world.

All that old-school wackiness from Moldvay (X1, X2, or B4) needs to exist somewhere in an official 5e adventure.

Just a random thought now that I've gotten through the comments, but are these adventures meant to played consecutively, or are they just smaller "bite sized" adventures to be thrown in your campaign at any time?

The reason I ask, is that I could see them making this one large, very eclectic adventure,but being told through random tavern goers at The Yawning Portal. It could start with the random patron talking to another saying "Hey have you heard the story about...(insert group of adventurers and upcoming plot hook and your off!)" After that adventure, it would segue way to another bar patron "one upping" that persons story with theirs, and then the next adventure would begin, so on and so on.

Just a thought, I suppose...

Remove ads

Remove ads