Tales From The Yawning Portal - 7 Classic Dungeons Updated To 5E!

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

Coming in April is WotC's next official D&D product, Tales from the Yawning Portal. This hardcover book contains seven classic dungeons updated to 5th Edition, from adventures such as Against the Giants, Dead in Thay, Forge of Fury, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Sunless Citadel, Tomb of Horrors, and White Plume Mountain. This is, presumably, the product previously codenamed Labyrinth. It's set for an April 4th release, for $49.95.

C1bHoHNVQAE-3qx.jpg-large.jpg

When the shadows grow long in Waterdeep and the fireplace in the taproom of the Yawning Portal dims to a deep crimson glow, adventurers from across the Sword Coast spin tales and spread rumors of lost treasures.

Within this tome are seven of the deadliest dungeons from the history of Dungeons & Dragons. Some are classics that have hosted an untold number of adventurers, while others are newer creations, boldly staking a claim to their place in the pantheon of notable adventures.

The seeds of these stories now rest in your hands. D&D’s deadliest dungeons are now part of your arsenal of adventures. Enjoy, and remember to keep a few spare character sheets handy.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, this book provides fans with a treasure trove of adventures, all of which have been updated to the fifth edition rules. Explore seven deadly dungeons in this adventure supplement for the world’s greatest roleplaying game:

• Against the Giants
  • Dead in Thay
  • Forge of Fury
  • Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  • Sunless Citadel
  • Tomb of Horrors
  • White Plume Mountain

Find it on WotC's site here. Forbes has an interview about it here. Mearls says "We're announcing a new D&D product, a book coming out this spring. It is called Tales from the Yawning Portal(out March 24th in local game stores and April 4th everywhere else) It's a collection of seven of the most famous dungeons from Dungeons & Dragons history. They're all collected in one hardcover book. The idea behind it is not only do you want to capture some of the most famous dungeons from the game's history, but we also wanted to give a selection of adventures that you could in theory start at Level 1 with the first dungeon and play all the way up to Level 15 by playing the adventures one after another."

DSC06258-1200x675.jpg

Cover Image

DSC06257-e1483590685311-1200x2134.jpg

Gibbering Mouther

DSC06270-e1483590966307-1200x2134.jpg

DSC06278-e1483590790367-1200x2134.jpg

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Save
Save

SaveSave
SaveSave

Given the monsters that appeared in the original versions of these adventures, can we expect anything new to 5e? I mean, besides NPCs and bosses like Acererak, that is...
Yes. Not only have the developers stated that there would be some updated monsters, the most recent Dragon+ had a link to the adventure's introduction, which outright says there is going to be an appendix detailing monsters from the adventures that have not been previously updated to 5e.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Given the monsters that appeared in the original versions of these adventures, can we expect anything new to 5e? I mean, besides NPCs and bosses like Acererak, that is...
[MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] has stated the 3E NPCs were a big challenge to translate to 5E terms, and will be a big chunk of that appendix.

Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/5/tales-from-the-yawning-portal

The suggested levels for each adventure are:

The Sunless Citadel: Level 1
The Forge of Fury: Level 3
The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan: Level 5
White Plume Mountain: Level 8
Dead in Thay: Level 9
Against the Giants: Level 11
Tomb of Horrors: “Higher-level.” It’s tough!

So, what do you think "Higher-level." actually means? If it were 12th, they would've just said that so... 13th, 14th, 15th?

Rhosyn

First Post
This will be my first attempt at GMing a game and sharing it with all the other team members including our current GM (who will be a character now). I get to go first with Sunless Citadel. Looking forward to learning all I can before then. Hopefully the resources here in EN world will help!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
This will be my first attempt at GMing a game and sharing it with all the other team members including our current GM (who will be a character now). I get to go first with Sunless Citadel. Looking forward to learning all I can before then. Hopefully the resources here in EN world will help!

Good luck and remember to have fun!

My top recommended reads for a new DM:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...djudicate-Actions-in-D-amp-D-5e#ixzz44mScJ82F
http://theangrygm.com/how-to-structure-a-session/
http://theangrygm.com/the-art-of-the-recap/
http://theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/

Rhosyn

First Post
Wow, great material thanks. Looks like some great advice here. I think I'll need to test it out on a few trusting friends first before going "live" .

Remove ads

Remove ads