D&D 5E How much Forgotten Realms have you used in your games?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
My FORGOTTEN REALMS campaigns ventured into

The Heartlands
The Sword Coast
Cormyr
The Moonsea
Sembia
The Dalelands
The Silver Marshes
Cormanthor
Anauroch Desert
The North Savage Frontier
The Cold Land
The Underdark
Undermountain & Skullport

I no longer play in this settings except to do playtesting as much as i like it i'm just sick of it and now run a campaign in GREYHAWK instead. And the next one will be set in EBERRON.

Henry

Autoexreginated
For those who run games in FR, or play in FR games, how much Faerûn have you covered? Creating a poll would be difficult, but perhaps with enough data maybe we can extrapolate what the most popular regions are.

I've been running a Dalelands campaign in the Daggerdale area for two years now - with jaunts to the dragonspine mountains, cormanthor/Myth Drannor (set in DR1372, so Myth Drannor is still an exotic hell-hole), and possibly Cormyr before they end it.

Saint_Ridley

Villager
I don't use any Realms-specific things. I'll tweak bits of fluff to my liking as they interest me (I'll do the same with Eberron, but I'm not really interested in Eberron either), but I don't really go out of my way to find Realms information. The only setting I'd go out of my way to play in as is would be Dark Sun.

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I have never run FR and I have only played in one super short campaign (consisting of a few session over the span of two weeks) when I was a kid, but I've stolen from it lots.

L R Ballard

Explorer
My group started in the 1980s with homebrew locations drawn on graph paper. A friend of mine and I shared DM duties through junior high and high school. After running The Throne of Bloodstone, I bought the 2e Waterdeep supplement (FR1). The first generation of characters consisted mostly of thieves living in Waterdeep and traveling to the Moonshae Isles (FR2) and the Savage Frontier (FR5). Some of this group travelled occasionally to Thay (FR6).

Other characters then migrated to, or started in, Waterdeep (FR1). I ran the Desert of Desolation as though it were the Anauroch and then Bloodstone (H4) again. After another successful Bloodstone campaign, some of the most powerful characters either moved to the Bloodstone Pass (FR9) or ascended.

Modules appealed to me because they needed less preparation than good homebrew stuff—at least for me. My friend still ran a lot of homebrew stuff, though he used the Realms as a jumping-off point; we plane hopped. Sometimes it flopped; sometimes it worked. Inspired by Stephen King, he did a lot of dark, morbid stories.

I DMed the Avatar Trilogy (FRE 1–3) with a party based in Waterdeep. One of the characters hailed from Cormyr. Another served in the Flaming Fist mercenary company. Another came from Damara. Another ran away from Evereska. The campaign became high level, and we went on Bloodstone again.

My friend then ran a campaign based in Shadowdale. Some of the action began in Chult. Nemeses came mainly from Zhentil Keep or from other planes. By that time, the group used the Forgotten Realms Campaign Set, which brought the Realms to life. We laminated the world map from that box set and hung it in the game room. That group became high level but never went on a campaign-ending adventure, as far as I know.

I ran Hordes of Dragonspear (FRQ 2), which went well. I tried to run the first Horde module, and it flopped. I ran a Spelljammer session that began in Faerûn. That story lasted one session, largely because of my lack of vision—hadn’t seen any Hubble photos yet. Off to college.

My cousin enjoyed my DMing of Under Illefarn (N5), set in Daggerford.

The old group reunited for 3e with parties in Cormyr and Shadowdale. I ran Into the Dragon’s Layer for the Cormyr group and Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor for the Shadowdale group. Those modules went well, though the former required some souping up.

As 3.5e sourcebooks and supplements proliferated, it got too hard for me to run sessions and work on my doctorate at the same time. Private lives took different directions: everyone implicitly agreed, more or less, that, for our group, that was the end.

Remove ads