D&D General Gamer Stats From White Dwarf in the 80s

Phil on Twitter has posted a few interesting stats from White Dwarf back in the 80s. These include what games were being played in 1987, and a letter about male/female ratios in the same era. Short version: mainly D&D, very few women.

Phil on Twitter has posted a few interesting stats from White Dwarf back in the 80s. These include what games were being played in 1987, and a letter about male/female ratios in the same era. Short version: mainly D&D, very few women.

D-S_wTcXoAAMjza.jpg

"Fascinating stuff - what RPGs were being played in the UK in 1987 ... T&T higher than you might've thought. Indiana Jones too!"

D-TBq04WsAUV-ao.jpg

"I know people say women have always been in gaming, and that's true. But this single stat highlights why for many of us seeing a female gamer in the wild was unheard of until the Masquerade began to change things... Average readership of White Dwarf in 1987 was 16.08... Which means they'd now be 48"

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Looks pretty much like the shop I wargame at. Mostly white dudes with some women, maybe 20-25%. They do Vampire LARPing on Saturday nights though and I bet the crowd changes a bit more for that but maybe not.

Though in life I have yet to meet a woman who was into playing RPG to be honest, outside of said ladies at the shop I see or at Cons, most just dismiss it as nerdy games and find it a bit silly.

Oh well, to each their own.

Ian Danton

Explorer
I have just found this in my stash of old White Dwarf magazines. I kept everything until they went 100% in house. It was number 85 published in January of 1987. I was 16 years old. I wish I could remember if I filled in the poll. Question 27 was which games would you like to see more/less of? Number one? Middle Earth Role-playing. Less than a year later of course they went all Warhammer. Mind you, they are one of the few print magazines still going, so apparently my purchase was not really required........

Second year at Uni. Definitely the time we played a lot of MERP and some Warhammer, I was a student in Nottingham so played with a lot of GW employees.
Simon Burley the author of GH is still around the UK RPG scene and still publishing rpgs

Remove ads

Remove ads