How do you set up a game group these days?

twofalls

DM Beadle
How do you go about contacting people and setting up a group in this electronic age? I've used the game finder provided here for the greater metro Portland area, and am waiting for responses which may or may not ever come. I've been out of the rpg scene for a while now, playing mostly Warmachine and video games and am missing the experience of an immersive rpg tabletop experience,but finding the guys to play with is looking to be quite the challenge. Suggestions?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Many game stores host games. Often you can find people there at public games you'd like to play with and meet for private games later.

Gotta echo this - your Friendly Local Gaming Store. Many will have encounters or a regular D&D night, some will have a bulletin board (physical or digital) for people looking for gamers or such. Added bonus of getting to know them first.

Also, if you know any gamers you like in the area, ask for recommendations even if they can't make it.

If you're of an age to enjoy playing with college age folks, check out local universities. They often have active gaming clubs.

Finally, bring in that guy from work, girl from zumba, or whomever from wherever that thinks D&D sounds fun - always need new blood.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
If you can't find people in your area, lots of options exist online as well. Google Plus groups have craptons of folks looking to game, as does Roll20. You can find a game here on EnWorld and play via post or e-mail. Or you could always start one yourself.

twofalls

DM Beadle
These are all good ideas, and I will follow up on them. What I'd really love would be to find a 4th end shadow run game, but it seems not many play here in Portland. Most folks my age (43) have too many responsibilities or time constraints or other interests. Computer games are easier it seems.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
These are all good ideas, and I will follow up on them. What I'd really love would be to find a 4th end shadow run game, but it seems not many play here in Portland. Most folks my age (43) have too many responsibilities or time constraints or other interests. Computer games are easier it seems.

If you can't find enough people to start a game of your Shadowrun, perhaps finding a group that plays something you enjoy even if it's not your absolute first pick, and when that campaign runs down you can try to convince them to take up SR as the next.

Also, stay realistic in what you are planning when trying to get a game together. An every-other-week after-work game is much more likely to happen than a "all day every Saturday" at our age. Kids, spouse, work, house and other responsibilities take up a lot of time.

delericho

Legend
About three years ago, I set up Falkirk RPG. Initially, this was a Meetup site, then migrated to Groupspaces, and then to its current form, which we control fully. In each case, the moves were caused because Meetup and then Groupspaces made changes to their operations, or the services that they offered, that just didn't suit us.

(Along the way, one of our members took over the running of the site. Given that I was only really interested as far as finding a game, I was more than happy to give up the administration side!)

My recommendation to someone who was considering doing the same would be to go with Meetup, at least initially - they appear to be the biggest such site, and as such are the most likely to attract hits. I don't think they're the best operation, and frankly they were over-expensive for what they offered, but in the early days what you most want is hits, and they're your best bet for that.

Crucially, when you decide to take the plunge, it's very important to set up the site and schedule a first meeting immediately. There's no way to know when a prospective player might find you, and if the site looks dead, they'll probably never be back. So don't start setting up a site until you've got some free time to work on it. Then, set up your profile, set up your site, and schedule a first meeting - and do it all before you walk away from the PC!

Your first event should be a "Meet'n'Greet" event, held in a public venue (we used a local pub). Schedule it for a couple of weeks after the site goes 'live', preferably on a midweek evening. And whatever you do, do not cancel this event. Even if it looks like you're going to be there on your own, you need to gut it out and attend. (I had two people sign up to the site, and the M&G, almost immediately. A fourth person attended the M&G having seen the site but not yet signed up.)

At the Meet'n'Greet, your main purpose is just to get to know the other attendees. Just chat about the usual topics - a bit about yourself, a bit about them, past RPG experience, film/TV/music, etc. The other thing you should try to do is schedule another meeting, this one to get started on a game of some sort. (Be aware - if you set up the site, you need to be willing to at least try running a game.) And make sure you add that new event to the Meetup site's calendar as soon as you get home!

And go from there. One of the lessons I learned quite early is that momentum is really important. If you've got a group that looks like it's busy, it's that much more likely to see new people sign up. So, keep the site up to date, contribute to the forum, and generally keep things going. If you build it, they will come.

(Conversely, if your site looks like it's dead, nobody will bother signing up. And why would they?)

I hope that helps somewhat. Obviously, if you choose to go down that route, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

twofalls

DM Beadle
Thank you, this is very helpful. I will use meet up, in a little over a month classes end, so I'll setup the site in two weeks and keep you posted via this thread on how things are proceeding.

Ferghis

First Post
There are a bunch of websites that help you find gamers. There's a game-finding (or player-finding) subforum here at Enworld, and many publishers forums have a subsection dedicated to finding people to play their games (I know both paizo and wizards of the coast do). But some other websites do this as their main shtick:
I would also ask your fellow warmachine players if they know of any games or RPG gamers. The second edition of Iron Kingdoms, the companion RPG for the War Machine setting, was just published recently, and might actually transition many of them to the RPG.

Remove ads