D&D General “Groom of the Stool” — how accurate do you want your royal courts to be

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
...It was also a day where upper class clothing was not assembled or convenience. We all understand that the clothing of noble ladies was assembled so it would literally be impossible to dress without assistance. We forget, in our unconscious bias, that the same would hold for noble men.

Those folks who would chide the King for having such a servant would also likely think even worse of the king for showing up in clothing that was actually practical for dealing with alone - leaving it as a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" thing. Because, of course, criticism of high position was never known for being logically consistent.

I think I should clarify how things are in my campaigns:

Breland and Aundair are two different nations and cultures, with vastly different societal norms and fashion “tastes”. Heck, even stereotypes for what kind of behavior is considered “masculine” or “feminine” are different between the two.

In my Breland, King Boranel is expected to dress himself. If his clothing is so complex that he needs a servant help get him into his outfit for the day, he’s gonna get mocked by his people for “being a dandy who worries more about his clothes than his people”.

By contrast, if Queen Aurala’s outfit is simple enough that she doesn't need help, she’ll get mocked for dressing below her station and trying to look like a servant.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One of the weird positions was the guy who was always in the King's bedroom. Always. Even when his wife, or mistress was there.

Clearly, as the “Enregistreur du Sexe”, his job was to remind the King about all the fun that had been had, when commanded so to recall.

IOW, the origin of making sex tapes.

Louis XIV: putting the “king“ in “kinky”.

naturaltwenty

Explorer
Publisher
When I was in Salzburg last year (25th wedding anniversary) and visited the Fortress Hohensalzburg, I was surprised at the in-room toilet and its resemblance to a bench...so bench warmer may not be too far off the mark.

20180920_114240.jpg

Remove ads